The Student Room Group

Doing a term / semester abroad (in USA) UNI

Hi! I am currently in the process of applying to university, and I was wondering if it was possible to go to uni in the uk, but do a term or year in america? Bizarre request I know
Original post by crr2000
Hi! I am currently in the process of applying to university, and I was wondering if it was possible to go to uni in the uk, but do a term or year in america? Bizarre request I know

It depends on the uni and course but some offer a year abroad or year in industry where you could end up in the US for a year
Original post by crr2000

Hi @crr2000,

Some do offer a term or year abroad, but it really depends on the course and university you choose.

Also, if you are trying to be placed at a certain location/university, just know that this is not always guaranteed. For me, I could apply to up to 10 universities and got placed at my 'best fit'. There are routes you can take that are more direct if you have a certain place in mind, but these may come with extra costs.

It might be better to direct any questions towards the UK universities you are considering, as they can give you a clear answer.

I hope this helps,

Isabella
Third-year Geography with a Year Abroad Student
(edited 3 months ago)
Original post by crr2000

Hey there 😀

It normally depends on the university and the course you are applying for. As a De Montfort University (DMU) student, I am currently on a one-year-long student exchange in Spain.

DMU undergraduates have the opportunity to study abroad for a year at a partner university across the globe, in Europe, North America and Asia, or complete a work placement overseas. Most full-time students can apply for the programme.

Applications are submitted in the second year, and accepted students are then required to complete their final year upon returning from the year abroad. So, studying on exchange is an additional year, extending your degree duration to four years. However, it is definitely worth it! I am having the time of my life 😛

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

If you are looking for general information regarding the student exchange programme at DMU, you can find it here.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending