The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Is bournemouth university any good?

Hey guys I'm looking to do a 5 year course in computer science (1 foundation and placement year).

Was wondering if bournemouth uni was any good as it's one of the only unis that offers this amazing combo in my A Level subjects and grades.

I was also wondering if there was some diversity In Bournemo
uth.
Reply 1
Original post by Clivierx
Hey guys I'm looking to do a 5 year course in computer science (1 foundation and placement year).

Was wondering if bournemouth uni was any good as it's one of the only unis that offers this amazing combo in my A Level subjects and grades.

uth.

Hey there,

One of my friends did his BSc in Cyber Security at Bournemouth a few years ago. He enjoyed it but he entered through clearing with low grades (CDD)

The city itself is predominantly white-british and a lot of older retired people reside there. I'm not sure about the university specifically but you can check out the societies to see if there are any other communities there.

Please note that a majority of computer science courses will allow a foundation year alongside a year abroad/in industry.

The best thing to do would be take a trip to an open day to see the city and university for yourself, and ask questions to current students and staff.
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 2
Original post by Aceful

Please note that a majority of computer science courses will allow a foundation year alongside a year abroad/in industry.

That's interesting, I have only been able to find 2 courses that offer this on UCAS, any suggestions on how to find the rest?
Reply 3
That's interesting, I have only been able to find 2 courses that offer this on UCAS, any suggestions on how to find the rest?

So normally for all universities, you are able to enrol onto the year abroad/in industry by the 2nd year of the normal course, subject to achieving the required grades selected by the university. You can apply for it on UCAS initially but this would be 2-3 years before actually doing that year so most people change their minds or may decide at a later date if they want to take up this additional year.

On UCAS when you look at the course page, if you scroll all the way down you can visit the course website which will contain more information. You can see if there is the opportunity for a foundation year alongside a year abroad/in industry as once you complete the foundation year, you move onto the normal 3 year course. Which will have the same opportunities as someone who just started from the first year.

If in doubt, you can always email the admissions team to ask if it would be possible.
Reply 4
Original post by Aceful
So normally for all universities, you are able to enrol onto the year abroad/in industry by the 2nd year of the normal course, subject to achieving the required grades selected by the university. You can apply for it on UCAS initially but this would be 2-3 years before actually doing that year so most people change their minds or may decide at a later date if they want to take up this additional year.

On UCAS when you look at the course page, if you scroll all the way down you can visit the course website which will contain more information. You can see if there is the opportunity for a foundation year alongside a year abroad/in industry as once you complete the foundation year, you move onto the normal 3 year course. Which will have the same opportunities as someone who just started from the first year.

If in doubt, you can always email the admissions team to ask if it would be possible.

ahhh okay that literally changed my whole pathway lol because I was basing my decision on whether those universities had a placement year or not. I'm gonna decide to just ring up admissions tomorrow morning, thanks!!

uth.

Hi Clivierx!

I'm Pip, a 3rd year TV Production student. I've loved my experience at Bournemouth University so far. They're very encouraging with placements, and a lot of BU students get great ones with amazing companies due to our good reputation. There's a lot of support with student services, a range of societies (including ones for different communities to meet Eg. African and Caribbean society / Black Student's network / Indian society / Islamic society and more!) and the social life around Bournemouth is generally good. So I would absolutely recommend it, if you're thinking of studying here.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?

-Pip
Reply 6
Original post by BU Student Rep
Hi Clivierx!

I'm Pip, a 3rd year TV Production student. I've loved my experience at Bournemouth University so far. They're very encouraging with placements, and a lot of BU students get great ones with amazing companies due to our good reputation. There's a lot of support with student services, a range of societies (including ones for different communities to meet Eg. African and Caribbean society / Black Student's network / Indian society / Islamic society and more!) and the social life around Bournemouth is generally good. So I would absolutely recommend it, if you're thinking of studying here.

Is there anything else you'd like to know?

-Pip

Hi! Have you ever heard of anybody who studies computer science and how it's gone for them?
Hi! Have you ever heard of anybody who studies computer science and how it's gone for them?

Hi Clivierx,

I hope you’re well. Personally, I don’t, but I did work on this video on that department:

https://youtu.be/8dwsTkfrWIM?si=15kfa1DCVCQt4XSU

It features academics in the department talk more about the courses and opportunities. Alternatively, you could join a BU students Facebook group and ask for anyone doing the course on there.

I hope this helped, let me know if you have more questions!

-Pip

Hi Clivierx

I'm Will, a Media Production student at Bournemouth University currently undertaking my placement year.
I am really good friends with somebody who studied computer science and she absolutely loved it.
Adding onto what Pip has said, we do have a couple of Student Ambassadors who are studying in the Computer Science department that could provide their experience to you via our Unibuddy service - https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/unibuddy/ - you can filter by Area of Study and if you select BSc Cyber Security Management or BSc Information Security Management you'll find the student ambassadors to chat to.

I hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 9
Original post by BU Student Rep
Hi Clivierx,

I hope you’re well. Personally, I don’t, but I did work on this video on that department:

https://youtu.be/8dwsTkfrWIM?si=15kfa1DCVCQt4XSU

It features academics in the department talk more about the courses and opportunities. Alternatively, you could join a BU students Facebook group and ask for anyone doing the course on there.

I hope this helped, let me know if you have more questions!

-Pip

Thanks Pip :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending