The Student Room Group

Official CHEMISTRY applicants thread 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Cyion

Im a first year so can only give you information for first and second year rly. First year semester 1 will be 1 day 9-5 in the lab, simester 2 is 2 days 9-5 in the lab and then 9-12 ish the day after. Year 2 then increases again to 2 days in the lab. Not sure for 3rd year as most chemists in bath go on placement but it most likely increases again. Most unis all have the same amount of lab work as all rsc accredited courses have a minimum of I think 100hrs of lab work per year as a requirement. Also you don't have to be in the lab 9-5 you just stay there for how ever long the labs takes so it varies quite a bit. I've had computational labs that were 2 hrs and physical labs that were 8. Ratio wise I have about 20hrs worth of lectures a week so it is still a lot of lecture work basically a 9-5 job. Not to mention the pre and post lab work :frown:
Hope this helps :smile:)

Okay! Thanks for the info, seems like alot of work!
Reply 21
Original post by p_4
Okay! Thanks for the info, seems like alot of work!

it is a lot of work, defiantly jealous of my biosciences flatmates but it's one of those things that if you can get through it the salaries and graduate prospects make up for it (ish)
Original post by Cyion
Nah that is criminal the post labs must be trauma

It’s horrific writing up a new lab report every week especially considering how harsh the grading is but it will make you a much better scientist. imo it’s a super important skill to learn!
As part of the TSR Goes Green initiative this week, I have created a thread on Careers in the Environmental Sector that you might be interested in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending