The Student Room Group

Biochemistry at Uni of Sheffield/ York - Masters or Bachelors?

I am a year 13 student with predicted grades A*AA currently looking at completing my UCAS application. I am looking to apply for Biochemistry at both the University of Sheffield and the University of York, however I have found myself unsure on whether to apply for a Bachelors or a Masters degree. My question is, if I were to apply for the Masters (with entry requirements of AAA at both universities) and were to achieve an AAB in my exam results (this being the entry requirements for the Bachelors at both universities), would I be accepted to the Bachelors degree instead or outright rejected from both courses?
Original post by PinkPanther1012
I am a year 13 student with predicted grades A*AA currently looking at completing my UCAS application. I am looking to apply for Biochemistry at both the University of Sheffield and the University of York, however I have found myself unsure on whether to apply for a Bachelors or a Masters degree. My question is, if I were to apply for the Masters (with entry requirements of AAA at both universities) and were to achieve an AAB in my exam results (this being the entry requirements for the Bachelors at both universities), would I be accepted to the Bachelors degree instead or outright rejected from both courses?

I don't think you would be because they would be two different courses on the UCAS system. However, I can't say for sure.
Maybe email the admissions team and see what they say.
Original post by srichandmyneni
I don't think you would be because they would be two different courses on the UCAS system. However, I can't say for sure.
Maybe email the admissions team and see what they say.

Thank you for your reply. I have emailed both admissions teams and received a response from York directing me to their FAQs. Through reading this I’m pretty sure I’ve decided to pick the Bsc for both unis as I intended on these as possible insurance choices and I don’t want to risk achieving AAB and still missing my insurance choice.
Thank you for your reply. I have emailed both admissions teams and received a response from York directing me to their FAQs. Through reading this I’m pretty sure I’ve decided to pick the Bsc for both unis as I intended on these as possible insurance choices and I don’t want to risk achieving AAB and still missing my insurance choice.

Glad I could help!
Hope you get onto the course!
Reply 4
Tip - if the entry requirements are exactly the same for the MSci and BSc then it likely they are considered aa one group - and therefore usually have a common first year of teaching - and therefore you can probably switch pathways at the end of the first year. BUT always check with the Uni - don't just assume you can.

Hi PinkPanther1012,
I am a 3rd Year Biochemistry student here at the University of Sheffield. I am currently on the integrated Masters programme, which is great if you are thinking about maybe doing a PhD after you graduate. In terms of admissions, I would contact the admissions team for some guidance on this matter (https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/study/askus). When you email admissions try and put as much information as possible including your name, application number/ UCAS ID and the course title. This will make it easier for them to help find the information you need.

I really hope you enjoy studying Biochemistry, I have loved it and wouldn't want to study anything else:smile:
Hope this helps,
Sofia (3rd Year Biochemistry)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending