The Student Room Group

Turning down offer for King's College for a uni with low ranking

I was part of the K+ program and have a BBB offer with King's college. This is the best uni I can get into with this grade. I have just been thinking that moving out of London, going to a coastal city or even going to Scotland or Wales, would be such a nice change of pace from life in London, as much as I love the city I grew up in. I'd be forced to make new friends, learn a completely new area, and have 0 support from parents. But at the same time, how much would the fact I'm sacrificing a place at a uni ranked top 20 for the course I want to study matter? I'm aware the whole ranking system is arbitrary anyways but what do you think? My happiness and true emancipation, or going off a ranking?
What subject?
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
What subject?

English and Spanish joint honours
Original post by Myowzie
I was part of the K+ program and have a BBB offer with King's college. This is the best uni I can get into with this grade. I have just been thinking that moving out of London, going to a coastal city or even going to Scotland or Wales, would be such a nice change of pace from life in London, as much as I love the city I grew up in. I'd be forced to make new friends, learn a completely new area, and have 0 support from parents. But at the same time, how much would the fact I'm sacrificing a place at a uni ranked top 20 for the course I want to study matter? I'm aware the whole ranking system is arbitrary anyways but what do you think? My happiness and true emancipation, or going off a ranking?

What are your other UCAS choices?

Do you think you'll get BBB next August or lower/higher?
Original post by Myowzie
English and Spanish joint honours

Personally, I would say that for careers in that subject area that ranking+location would matter less than some others, (for example; Law, Econ, ACCYFIN etc). So from my POV it really boils down to how important the uni environment is to you, and whether you perceive it to be a big risk to move so far away and out of your comfort zone.

There's rarely a 'wrong' answer with these things :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by PQ
What are your other UCAS choices?

Do you think you'll get BBB next August or lower/higher?

I am applicable for contextual offers so I have decided on: Exeter,Bangor,Cardiff and Edinburgh. With the contextual offers, the maximum grade I would need to obtain is ABB. I Am currently on BBB.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
Personally, I would say that for careers in that subject area that ranking+location would matter less than some others, (for example; Law, Econ, ACCYFIN etc). So from my POV it really boils down to how important the uni environment is to you, and whether you perceive it to be a big risk to move so far away and out of your comfort zone.

There's rarely a 'wrong' answer with these things :smile:

I am totally wanting to move out of my comfort zone. I need it for my metamorphosis, and to fully mature. My concern with it though was that KCL is ranked top 30 for my subjects whereas somewhere like Bangor, which seems to have a nice small environment, ranks 50. I know those rankings are a bit arbitrary anyways but that just threw me off making any firm decisions. From what I can tell from what you said, I should just go to whatever has the nicest city/vibe/course rather worrying about rankings, as English and Spanish is not as competitive, prospective wise?
What doors do you university to open for you?

And what universities do you intend to study at instead?
Original post by Myowzie
From what I can tell from what you said, I should just go to whatever has the nicest city/vibe/course rather worrying about rankings, as English and Spanish is not as competitive, prospective wise?

From my POV, yup. just make the most of the course and any internship/placement/work opportunities.
Original post by Myowzie
I am applicable for contextual offers so I have decided on: Exeter,Bangor,Cardiff and Edinburgh. With the contextual offers, the maximum grade I would need to obtain is ABB. I Am currently on BBB.

If I were you I’d dump Edinburgh. Their offer rates are tiny, their student satisfaction isn’t great and they’re not particularly notable for their English or modern languages. UEA or Southampton would probably be better options with more interesting courses - and would give you some options away from home and in a completely different city without being a 3-4 hour plus train trip to get home.
I have to admit I haven't got a great deal of respect for KCL after they treated me not so nicely... twice... with the second time ending up with me withdrawing my application even though they were going to give me an offer (that, or they decide to sadistically assess the fee status of people they want to reject...) But trying to put my bias aside:

Rankings mean very little. You need to go to a place that you like and where you can see yourself thriving. If that means you prefer other universities... go for it. What you'll get from university is just a degree and hopefully some relevant experience relating to it. You'll get your degree from any university, and the experience is mostly down to you and looking for it so... the university you go to isn't all that important in the great scheme of things. So don't let yourself be swayed by rankings, follow some of the good advice posted on this thread and go somewherw you'll like!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending