The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Are King's College London Computer Science Courses Bad?

I am currently looking for some good universities that I can probably apply to. One of them was king's college. However after looking at its ranking, I see that it is 30th (Not bad). But the reason why it is so low is its student's satisfaction level. Can I have some thought's on this from student's currently studying there or who finished their study's? I highly doubt the satisfaction can be that bad... (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science).
Thank you in advance,
Stan
Reply 1
Haven't been there but know a relative that studied pharmacy there a few years back. Everyone in my family were like WOW!!! Kings college London!! A lot of people think quite highly of it but yeh even I was surprised to discover that it was so low in the rankings. Why don't you check out uni's like UCL, imperial college or if you're aiming even higher Oxford? BTW I don't think KCL is too bad.
Original post by Stanislas Juery
I am currently looking for some good universities that I can probably apply to. One of them was king's college. However after looking at its ranking, I see that it is 30th (Not bad). But the reason why it is so low is its student's satisfaction level. Can I have some thought's on this from student's currently studying there or who finished their study's? I highly doubt the satisfaction can be that bad... (http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science).
Thank you in advance,
Stan
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Student satisfaction is a load of nonsense really. Apparently KCL are rated poorly on this because we simply can't be asked to do this.

Bottom end is come to the open day, see if you like London, speak to some academics see what they're like.

I have a friend who does computer science and he seems happy.
Original post by Stanislas Juery
Thank you in advance,
Stan

Nah, they have a solid syllabus afaia.

Have a few friends on the course who enjoy it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am currently studying computer science at King's (first year).

Overall I am very happy with my choice; our lecturers are all highly accomplished in their areas and provide interesting and relevant modules. In addition to this, people regard a King's degree rather highly, in fact, ignore the UK league tables completely and look at The Times Higher/QS world rankings, as you will see that King's is ranked around 21st/36th (from memory) respectively. These league tables take into account research power and excellence, funding and international outlook etc. - which in my opinion is far more important that student satisfaction.

That being said, the course is not perfect. There was a failure in the IT system at the beginning of the year which left KEATS (the e-learning platform) partially unavailable, as well as timetable and library services completely down, this was a huge pain. The online software that marks our programming coursework has also had various problems so far.

I have heard numerous complaints from many of the people on my course, but in my personal opinion - like any university, the experience is what you make of it.
Original post by chi223
I am currently studying computer science at King's (first year).

Overall I am very happy with my choice; our lecturers are all highly accomplished in their areas and provide interesting and relevant modules. In addition to this, people regard a King's degree rather highly, in fact, ignore the UK league tables completely and look at The Times Higher/QS world rankings, as you will see that King's is ranked around 21st/36th (from memory) respectively. These league tables take into account research power and excellence, funding and international outlook etc. - which in my opinion is far more important that student satisfaction.

That being said, the course is not perfect. There was a failure in the IT system at the beginning of the year which left KEATS (the e-learning platform) partially unavailable, as well as timetable and library services completely down, this was a huge pain. The online software that marks our programming coursework has also had various problems so far.

I have heard numerous complaints from many of the people on my course, but in my personal opinion - like any university, the experience is what you make of it.

Hi i know it is 6 years later .Is it okay to ask you a few questions of the course ?:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest