The Student Room Group

supercurricular ideas for mathematics and philosophy?!?!

i do a-level maths, fm and rs (recently swapped from physics) and im not too sure on what supercurriculars to do. i've already done this year's ukmt and mog (mathematical olympiad for girls) and was thinking about doing this online course from stanford on an introduction to mathematical thinking. for reference, i want to study maths and philosophy at uni (hopefully oxford) and i dont know what to do for the maths part. for philosophy, i already plan on doing essay competitions and watching harvard's philosophy lectures, but since im not expected, from oxford's pov, to have prior knowledge of anything philosophy related, there's a bigger emphasis on what i do for maths. i've already enrolled on their compos programme but having dropped physics, i may opt out of it since sooner or later, the physics will be beyond my understanding. please give ideas or maybe even further reading recs since im open to most things! :smile:

ps. im doing my epq discussing whether mathematical theorems are eternal truths or human invention (sneaky lil philosophy of maths question)
(edited 6 months ago)
It sounds like you're doing plenty already, so really I think just wider reading around your subject area(s) as applicable. Worth also looking into the nature of degree level maths and how that varies from A-level (although it sounds like said MOOC might include some stuff in that vein).

And preparing for the MAT.
(edited 6 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest