The Student Room Group

Good Computer Science University with average GCSEs and no FM?

I'm currently in y12 doing Computer Science, Maths and Business A Level. In GCSEs I got six 7s(CS, Maths, Triple Science, RE), one 6(History), two 5s(Both English's) and one 3(French), whilst I know these grades were below my potential I attended a high school with an average GCSE point score of 2.8.

I want to attend a good university for Computer Science and I'm thinking of applying to (Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Lancaster, UCL) but I am worrying that not only will my average GCSEs let me down but also doing Business A Level. I am planning and have started doing lots of Super Curriculars in order to make up for this all such as: Learning Python and JavaScript along Java at my College, Harvard eDx courses, Projects, Bebras, Project Euler and work experience.

Does anyone know if I will even have a chance of applying to such competitive course at good unis with meh GCSEs, a not very reputed A Level and not doing FM?
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by skinfade123
I'm currently in y12 doing Computer Science, Maths and Business A Level. In GCSEs I got six 7s(CS, Maths, Triple Science, RE), one 6(History), two 5s(Both English's) and one 3(French), whilst I know these grades were below my potential I attended a high school with an average GCSE point score of 2.8.

I want to attend a good university for Computer Science and I'm thinking of applying to (Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Lancaster, UCL) but I am worrying that not only will my average GCSEs let me down but also doing Business A Level. I am planning and have started doing lots of Super Curriculars in order to make up for this all such as: Learning Python and JavaScript along Java at my College, Harvard eDx courses, Projects, Bebras, Project Euler and work experience.

Does anyone know if I will even have a chance of applying to such competitive course at good unis with meh GCSEs, a not very reputed A Level and not doing FM?

Now, for your universities, none of them require Further Maths. But for the likes of UCL, Further Maths is more or less an unwritten requirement because of the volume of applicants that apply with Further Maths.

If I were you, I'd recommend swapping Business for Physics or any other related science because Business is considered to be a soft A level option. Manchester requires 3 A*s minimum entry and because you don't do Further Maths, I would ensure that your three A levels all link extremely closely to the course (and they are serious with the minimum entry requirement because that's what everyone who applied there has received as their offer conditions, at least from my school).

Considering your school GCSE average, I think you should be OK. I'd say work hard these next few months and get 3 A* predictions and GCSEs will be ignored (to some extent).

Doing supercurriculars is all well and good but if you don't meet the grades, what are you going to do? You need to smash your mocks. On that note, I'd say learning languages isn't as important as actually doing stuff with the things you've learnt.

I got an offer from Imperial and as part of the interview, I got asked loads of questions about programming projects I mentioned in my personal statement, as did everyone else who was there on the day so I'd definitely recommend doing some fun yet slightly complex programming projects to mention on your personal statement to demonstrate your passion to show that you are giving up your free time to do this stuff.

I'd say that Liverpool, Sheffield and Lancaster should be OK. I think Sheffield is A*AA but that is achievable with hard work. Lancaster is probably the easiest of the lot.

When I spoke to them at the UCAS fair, they asked me for my subjects and predicted grades. I told them Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science and EPQ and 5 A* predictions. They were impressed and said that if I applied my offer would be around BCCC and B in EPQ (very close to unconditional if my personal statement is good).

With your A levels, it would probably be around AAB or ABB (depending on your mock grades as well obviously).

Firstly Business is classed as a preferred subject at UCL. even if it wasnt it wouldnt affect your application as they only require 2 preferred subjects and both Maths and Computer Science are amongst their preferred subjects.

As can be seen from UCL they do not require or prefer Further Maths for CS. If they did they would say so. Universities arent in the business of misleading students and if they prefer a certain subject they say so.

Grades
A*AA
Subjects
A* Mathematics required.
GCSEs
English Language and Mathematics at grade C or 5.
Contextual offer information
Grades
A*AB more about contextual offers
Subjects
A* Mathematics required.
GCSEs
English Language and Mathematics at grade C or 5.

Your GCSEs are far from Meh. They are very good.

Outside of UCL the other options are likely to make offers provided your predicted grades meet the requirement,. Manchester for CS might be picky but the others wont.

As can be seen Imperial lists FM as a recommended subject UCL does not. Imperial does not accept Business Studies whilst UCL states it as a preferred subject.

A*AA A*AAA
To include:

A* in Mathematics

A*, A in two further subjects or AAA in three further subjects

Not accepted: ICT, Business Studies, General Studies and Critical Thinking Science Practical Endorsement: If you are made an offer you will be required to achieve a pass in the practical endorsement in all science subjects that form part of the offer.
Recommended subjects

Computer Science

Physics

Further Mathematics

Preferred A Level subjects
Arts and Humanities

Arabic

Art and Design

Art and Design: 3D Design

Art and Design: Critical and Contextual Studies

Art and Design: Fine Art

Art and Design: Graphic Design

Art and Design: Photography

Art and Design: Textiles

Bengali

Biblical Hebrew

Business Studies

Cantonese

Chinese

Classical Civilisation

Classical Greek

Drama (WJEC specification)

Drama and Theatre Studies

Dutch

English Language

English Language and Literature

English Literature

English Literature (specifications A or B where applicable)

Film Studies

French

German

Greek

Gujarati

Hindi

History of Art

History of Art and Design

Information and Communication Technology

Irish

Italian

Japanese

Latin

Media Studies

Modern Greek

Modern Hebrew

Moving Image Art (CCEA specification)

Music

Panjabi

Persian

Philosophy

Polish

Portuguese

Religious Studies

Russian

Spanish

Tamil

Turkish

Urdu

Welsh

Welsh (Second Language)

Social sciences

Ancient History

Anthropology

Archaeology

Economics

Economics and Business

Economics and Business (Nuffield)

Environmental Science

Environmental Studies

Geography A

Geography B

Government and Politics

History

Law

Poltics

Psychology

Psychology A

Psychology B

Sociology

Sciences

Biology

Biology (Salters-Nuffield)

Biology (Human)

Chemistry

Chemistry (Nuffield)

Chemistry (Salters)

Computer Science

Further Mathematics

Geology

Mathematics

Mathematics (MEI)

Physics

Physics (Advancing Physics)

Physics (Salters-Horners)

Pure Mathematics

Statistics

Reply 3
Original post by vnayak
Now, for your universities, none of them require Further Maths. But for the likes of UCL, Further Maths is more or less an unwritten requirement because of the volume of applicants that apply with Further Maths.

If I were you, I'd recommend swapping Business for Physics or any other related science because Business is considered to be a soft A level option. Manchester requires 3 A*s minimum entry and because you don't do Further Maths, I would ensure that your three A levels all link extremely closely to the course (and they are serious with the minimum entry requirement because that's what everyone who applied there has received as their offer conditions, at least from my school).

Considering your school GCSE average, I think you should be OK. I'd say work hard these next few months and get 3 A* predictions and GCSEs will be ignored (to some extent).

Doing supercurriculars is all well and good but if you don't meet the grades, what are you going to do? You need to smash your mocks. On that note, I'd say learning languages isn't as important as actually doing stuff with the things you've learnt.

I got an offer from Imperial and as part of the interview, I got asked loads of questions about programming projects I mentioned in my personal statement, as did everyone else who was there on the day so I'd definitely recommend doing some fun yet slightly complex programming projects to mention on your personal statement to demonstrate your passion to show that you are giving up your free time to do this stuff.

I'd say that Liverpool, Sheffield and Lancaster should be OK. I think Sheffield is A*AA but that is achievable with hard work. Lancaster is probably the easiest of the lot.

When I spoke to them at the UCAS fair, they asked me for my subjects and predicted grades. I told them Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Computer Science and EPQ and 5 A* predictions. They were impressed and said that if I applied my offer would be around BCCC and B in EPQ (very close to unconditional if my personal statement is good).

With your A levels, it would probably be around AAB or ABB (depending on your mock grades as well obviously).

My college wont let me change subject as I am already nearly 4 months into the course so I'm going to have to stick with Business, you mentioned the UCAS fair and that it would be AAB or ABB is that for Lancaster?

I want to apply to UCL but its more of an aspiration I'd say my top pic right now is Sheffield because I can see it as more achievable and it is still a good University.

Do you have any advice on A Level Maths? I got my test back today and got 19/52 (which I know is awful) although I really tried and done everything I can to revise for it, my main problem is interpreting the questions and knowing what to do to solve them (problem solving)
Reply 4
My college wont let me change subject as I am already nearly 4 months into the course so I'm going to have to stick with Business, you mentioned the UCAS fair and that it would be AAB or ABB is that for Lancaster?

I want to apply to UCL but its more of an aspiration I'd say my top pic right now is Sheffield because I can see it as more achievable and it is still a good University.

Do you have any advice on A Level Maths? I got my test back today and got 19/52 (which I know is awful) although I really tried and done everything I can to revise for it, my main problem is interpreting the questions and knowing what to do to solve them (problem solving)

The only thing that will help with that is doing as many questions as you can. I mean there is nothing else that can be done. Given that you are four months in, I'm thinking you are probably doing Algebraic methods or starting some of the things on triangles.

So Imma be real with you, this is GCSE stuff so if you are struggling with this, I'd probably recommend going through the GCSE stuff before doing A level stuff.

It's hard to show my thought process without you putting any questions on this thread. If you do that, I'd be able to give you a better idea of MY thought process. Also, if at any point I have misjudged what topic you are currently doing or you don't understand my thought process, let me know and I will explain it to you.

Give me some questions and I will help you to develop that frame of thought.

Hi there,

I'm a 4th year mathematics & statistics integrated masters student. To do computer science at Lancaster University the current requirements are:

GCSE: Mathematics grade B or 6, English Language grade C or 4
A Level: AAB

There is no required A-Level subjects and you won't be treated differently for doing a business a-level and not further maths. It is more important to do A-Levels that you will enjoy so that you have a better chance at doing well in them. Also, since you are doing computer science and maths you would be considered for a reduced offer which would make the grade requirements ABB if you got it.

Overall, don't stress too much you should definitely be able to get into a good university if you work hard. Try not to get too busy with super curriculars that it affects your A-Level grades though.

Please feel free to ask me any other questions.

Amy (Lancaster Student Ambassador) 🙂
Reply 6
Damn ur lucky u got to do computer science my school isn’t offering computer science gcse for my year specifically for some reason
Reply 7
Original post by teejayhi55
Damn ur lucky u got to do computer science my school isn’t offering computer science gcse for my year specifically for some reason

That is really weird. Could it perhaps be something to do with not having a teacher to teach it? But even then, some schools allow students to take up GCSEs to study in their own time (which is also how you have some insane academic people doing like 13 GCSEs).
Reply 8
Original post by vnayak

That is really weird. Could it perhaps be something to do with not having a teacher to teach it? But even then, some schools allow students to take up GCSEs to study in their own time (which is also how you have some insane academic people doing like 13 GCSEs).

Nope! We have 3 computer science teachers. Im baffled.
Reply 9
Original post by teejayhi55
Nope! We have 3 computer science teachers. Im baffled.

So am I then lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending