The Student Room Group

I'm grown but feel behind in life

I'm worried that me looking at people makes them uncomfortable. I try to look elsewhere immediately afterwards but I have anxiety lately because of it. I don't initiate talking or meeting people and one person who I thought caught me look at him said hi to me. I don't have a crush on him but in his example I looked at him because he seemed like he was having a good time.
I feel ashamed that I'm a woman in my 30s but I don't know how to handle this. Just the thought of me disgusting people by being interested in them and looking at them makes me not want to exist. It seems unfair too cos sometimes people just end up being in my field of vision.
Original post by Therealegg
I'm worried that me looking at people makes them uncomfortable. I try to look elsewhere immediately afterwards but I have anxiety lately because of it. I don't initiate talking or meeting people and one person who I thought caught me look at him said hi to me. I don't have a crush on him but in his example I looked at him because he seemed like he was having a good time.
I feel ashamed that I'm a woman in my 30s but I don't know how to handle this. Just the thought of me disgusting people by being interested in them and looking at them makes me not want to exist. It seems unfair too cos sometimes people just end up being in my field of vision.

I too spend a lot of my time looking at people and I also get worried about what they may think. However, I don't know if it'll help but what I always think about is, maybe I feel like others will think it's "weird" that I look at them because I feel weird when others look at me. Like I always think that someone must be looking at me cause I've done something wrong or cause I don't "look right". So what I've done to try and combat it is to not think that when others look at me. I instead think, maybe they're just looking at me cause they like my shirt or maybe their eyes have just wandered. I don't know if that'll help but I hope you know that most people won't feel uncomfortable if you look at them and that it's perfectly okay to feel like this at any age. People like to watch others and I hope you come to realise that it's perfectly natural and really it only becomes weird or uncomfortable if you think that way. Hope you're doing okay <3
Reply 2
Original post by MWorldwide19
I too spend a lot of my time looking at people and I also get worried about what they may think. However, I don't know if it'll help but what I always think about is, maybe I feel like others will think it's "weird" that I look at them because I feel weird when others look at me. Like I always think that someone must be looking at me cause I've done something wrong or cause I don't "look right". So what I've done to try and combat it is to not think that when others look at me. I instead think, maybe they're just looking at me cause they like my shirt or maybe their eyes have just wandered. I don't know if that'll help but I hope you know that most people won't feel uncomfortable if you look at them and that it's perfectly okay to feel like this at any age. People like to watch others and I hope you come to realise that it's perfectly natural and really it only becomes weird or uncomfortable if you think that way. Hope you're doing okay <3

Thank you.your comment is kind and means a lot. I've been very anxious and depressed over this.
Thank you.your comment is kind and means a lot. I've been very anxious and depressed over this.

I truly hope things improve for you and please remember there is always people to talk to if stuff gets too overwhelming <3

I hope you are doing well and safe. I always believe as the saying goes "Fake it until you make it, till it's true" I am not good at conversing with people before. Furthermore, I rather be in the corner and just observed with them, but I realized that in life we cannot just wait to approach us. So, I just changed my mindset little by little I did try on talking with them, I know it's going to be awkward, but I know we all will experience that. Baby steps, you don't need to jump into big things just don't think too much and try talking, if it fails, try again tomorrow. And you are not falling behind you still have time.

Quick Reply

Latest