The Student Room Group

New Thread Experience Feedback - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Don't like the new one at all tbh, feels like it wastes so much space between the header, your ads and the blank spaces while still looking too cluttered for it's own good. I cant really see more than 1 post on a screen and moving my mouse even vaguely into he top half starts triggering all the mouseover popups. Yuck :frown:
Reply 41
It looks like the late 90s usenet group layout. To be clear, there is a reason they were left in the 90s.
Original post by RainbowLapras
Currently this would need to be typed manually using {spoiler}content{/spoiler} - you'll need to replace the { and } with [ and ] though!

In terms of being able to do this using the text editor like on the previous thread experience, this is a feature we're still working on which should be added in the near future :yep:
Hmmm... Has the "upgrade" broken the [noparse] tag?
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by DFranklin
Hmmm... Has the "upgrade" broken the [noparse] tag?

At the moment there isn't full bbcode support, no - that will be brought in soon though :yep:
So, first impressions are this is screamingly awful.
So much wasted space / advert spam.
Slow as heck. I can see icons appearing one by one.
You've broken Tex - literally thousands of posts in the maths forum are now unintelligible.
You've broken the noparse tag.
At the moment there isn't full bbcode support, no - that will be brought in soon though :yep:

You should not be rolling out something that breaks existing posts. WTF is wrong with the TSR dev team?
[Speaking as a professional developer where the #1 rule of any new feature is "don't give it to customers unless you know it doesn't break existing stuff"].
(edited 5 months ago)
So, first impressions are this is screamingly awful.
So much wasted space / advert spam.
Slow as heck. I can see icons appearing one by one.
You've broken Tex - literally thousands of posts in the maths forum are now unintelligible.
You've broken the noparse tag.

Ah, TSR supports latex using both text and latex tags - it looks like the tex variation must have been missed, we currently support it using latex, but I'll pop an fix in the next update for tex too :smile:
Ah, TSR supports latex using both text and latex tags - it looks like the tex variation must have been missed, we currently support it using latex, but I'll pop an fix in the next update for tex too :smile:

Also broken:

(as used widely in almost every TSR "how to" guide. Most notably https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5971356 (the welcome lounge "A Guide To TSR").
Would you be able to clarify what you mean about the quotes, please? It shouldn't be including quotes within a post you're quoting :holmes:

In the old version, if you quoted a post and then backspaced the "post by username", you would end up with just the content of your post (so copy/pasting or retyping the forum game points wasn't necessary). In the new version, you can't type in the quoted post (also previously you could bold a word or something in what you'd quoted).
Also broken:

(as used widely in almost every TSR "how to" guide. Most notably https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5971356 (the welcome lounge "A Guide To TSR").

Thanks, this is on our list! We'll pop an update in here when it's released :biggrin:

Just seeing what other people are saying about quotes leads me to notice I can't get back to the "raw text" (would have been BBCode).

When helping people with long queries, being able to edit what you're quoting is essential. It's common for a reply to be a page long and I just want to reply to one point of a couple of lines.

[I'm also going to add some LaTeX here and see what happens...

b±b24ac2a\displaystyle \dfrac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a} ]
Just seeing what other people are saying about quotes leads me to notice I can't get back to the "raw text" (would have been BBCode).

When helping people with long queries, being able to edit what you're quoting is essential. It's common for a reply to be a page long and I just want to reply to one point of a couple of lines.

We're looking to add support for multi-quoting in the coming weeks, I'll make a note as part of that to look at the editable quotes side of things :yep:

I think our Toad-shaped friend has mentioned this a couple of times, but I am never filling this out, I used to get some reprieve from it using showthread1 and 2, but I'm seeing this much more frequently to the point I've ad blocked it out - very frustrating
(edited 5 months ago)
I know I've even defended the size of the header before as I understand it's fairly vital screen real estate for ads but it's intolerably large, the dimensions which are taken up by content versus void/non-useful space are totally out of whack.

Another thing I noticed when submitting the above post:

Don't get me wrong, it's way faster and to be honest - I even quite like the look and feel, but there are several experience breaking elements of this that makes me feel like this was not ready for a site-wide (or at least, progressive) rollout. Moving from a fully-featured experience to what is an MVP is not an upgrade to most users, though I understand and agree the work is necessary and will be worth it in the end.
Original post by Charles III
Another thing I noticed when submitting the above post:

Don't get me wrong, it's way faster and to be honest - I even quite like the look and feel, but there are several experience breaking elements of this that makes me feel like this was not ready for a site-wide (or at least, progressive) rollout. Moving from a fully-featured experience to what is an MVP is not an upgrade to most users, though I understand and agree the work is necessary and will be worth it in the end.

Thanks for all the really detailed feedback. We are collating everything in this thread and working through it so it's all useful.

As you've mentioned by moving over to this new experience we can collect feedback much quicker and also make improvements faster than we would have been able to in the past.

I'm looking forward to sharing details of these improvements with you all soon.

So, when I reply to myself, I can't access the LaTeX source I'm quoting (or, indeed, see more than one line of what I'm quoting). Being able to do this is necessary when replying to complex queries.

OK, so if I edit a reply I've made, I can actually access the tag code. That's something.
But I have honestly no idea what TSR was thinking rolling this out in this state.
(edited 5 months ago)
Original post by Charles III

I think our Toad-shaped friend has mentioned this a couple of times, but I am never filling this out, I used to get some reprieve from it using showthread1 and 2, but I'm seeing this much more frequently to the point I've ad blocked it out - very frustrating

You have purple? I agree about the whitespace when you have adblocker turned on.

Yeah I’m not filling out that form (mainly because I don’t care about TSR wanting to know this information).
So, when I reply to myself, I can't access the LaTeX source I'm quoting (or, indeed, see more than one line of what I'm quoting). Being able to do this is necessary when replying to complex queries.

Can’t you just copy and paste the content without it being in the quote?
Original post by Evil Homer
Thanks for all the really detailed feedback. We are collating everything in this thread and working through it so it's all useful.

As you've mentioned by moving over to this new experience we can collect feedback much quicker and also make improvements faster than we would have been able to in the past.

I'm looking forward to sharing details of these improvements with you all soon.

Not much point collecting feedback quickly if everyone has left.
Maths forum was dying before this, and you've now made it near unusable.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending