The Student Room Group

Help me figure out my final degree grade please :(

I finished 2nd year on 63 (40%): 69, 68, 66, 64, 63, 58, 53. Second year holds a 40% weighting towards my final grade.
3rd year: 76, 71, 67, 63, 60. Third years holds a 60% weighting towards my final grade.
I am currently awaiting 2 pieces of work which I think I will receive 70 and 70 in. Therefore, including these predictions, if I get: 76, 71, 70, 70, 67, 63, 60 in my final year what will I graduate with overall?
Before you say “66”, could someone please please please use other modes of marking such as averages or the one where if you have a certain amount of credits or modules in a certain classification you’ll pass with that mark? Is there ANY possibility that I could finish my degree with a first?
It’s really annoying that my English Literature degree weights attendance. I accomplished many essays at a first but finished lower because I didn’t attend lectures due to my Dermatillomania. It’s too late to real my advisors this now, as year 2 was ages ago :frown:.

I really appreciate any help and comments!
You can't just pick and choose how the final classification is worked out.
We need to know the actual classification regulations for your degree at your university. Without those details, nobody can tell you what your result will be
Original post by Anonymous
I finished 2nd year on 63 (40%): 69, 68, 66, 64, 63, 58, 53. Second year holds a 40% weighting towards my final grade.
3rd year: 76, 71, 67, 63, 60. Third years holds a 60% weighting towards my final grade.
I am currently awaiting 2 pieces of work which I think I will receive 70 and 70 in. Therefore, including these predictions, if I get: 76, 71, 70, 70, 67, 63, 60 in my final year what will I graduate with overall?
Before you say “66”, could someone please please please use other modes of marking such as averages or the one where if you have a certain amount of credits or modules in a certain classification you’ll pass with that mark? Is there ANY possibility that I could finish my degree with a first?
It’s really annoying that my English Literature degree weights attendance. I accomplished many essays at a first but finished lower because I didn’t attend lectures due to my Dermatillomania. It’s too late to real my advisors this now, as year 2 was ages ago :frown:.

I really appreciate any help and comments!

You list 7 marks for each year, which means they aren't all of equal value. You need to find out the credits that each module is worth.

You also need to look at your degree regulations (which uni?) because some unis have alternative methods of classifying students.
https://www.gradeguide.co.uk you should have a look at this website, if you put in all your modules and weightings correctly it will tell you exactly what you need to get for what classification and what your average so far is. But as mentioned above, all universities vary. Some have what’s known as a rule or predominance, where final results that are within either 3% or 1% of a higher boundary will be considered for an award of that boundary. So for example, my total % was 69.3%, so i was automatically considered by my board of examiners for a First, and I got it. A girl in my course got 68% (still within 3% of what my year would be entitled for rule of predominance) but she got a 2:1 based on her other assignments and performance, which in comparison to mine would have been lower.
Original post by ToyMolto
You can't just pick and choose how the final classification is worked out.
We need to know the actual classification regulations for your degree at your university. Without those details, nobody can tell you what your result will be

I know I can’t pick and choose. There’s something called wanting to know all possibilities…just for a heads up or reassurance.
Original post by ageshallnot
You list 7 marks for each year, which means they aren't all of equal value. You need to find out the credits that each module is worth.

You also need to look at your degree regulations (which uni?) because some unis have alternative methods of classifying students.

In the final year, all marks are 15 credits except for my dissertation which is 30 credits. That is one of the grades I am awaiting/have predicted myself a 70 in.
Original post by shadowmoth16
https://www.gradeguide.co.uk you should have a look at this website, if you put in all your modules and weightings correctly it will tell you exactly what you need to get for what classification and what your average so far is. But as mentioned above, all universities vary. Some have what’s known as a rule or predominance, where final results that are within either 3% or 1% of a higher boundary will be considered for an award of that boundary. So for example, my total % was 69.3%, so i was automatically considered by my board of examiners for a First, and I got it. A girl in my course got 68% (still within 3% of what my year would be entitled for rule of predominance) but she got a 2:1 based on her other assignments and performance, which in comparison to mine would have been lower.

Thank you!
In the final year, all marks are 15 credits except for my dissertation which is 30 credits. That is one of the grades I am awaiting/have predicted myself a 70 in.

Isn't there also a similar weighting imbalance in your 7 second year modules? That would mean that year's average isn't 63.

And as I said above you need to check your degree regulations. Which uni is this?
Original post by ageshallnot
Isn't there also a similar weighting imbalance in your 7 second year modules? That would mean that year's average isn't 63.

And as I said above you need to check your degree regulations. Which uni is this?

Hey, there is no waiting imbalance. My 2nd years average was 63 because every module was 15 credits except for the 64 mark I received which was for a 30 credit module.

I am also shocked about how I had so many mid/high 60s and yet finished on a low 60 because of 2 anomaly results :frown:
Hey, there is no waiting imbalance. My 2nd years average was 63 because every module was 15 credits except for the 64 mark I received which was for a 30 credit module.

I am also shocked about how I had so many mid/high 60s and yet finished on a low 60 because of 2 anomaly results :frown:

weighting *

That change brings your second year average up to 63.125. If your predictions are correct I calculate your final average as 66.275.
Reply 12
I suggest you to use online calculator like this weighted grade calculator where you can put your grades with weightage to calculate current grade. You can also calculate Final target grades by putting your 2nd and 3rd year grades average calculated from current grade calculation and remaining weight, it will suggest you what you need to achieve in remaining weightage to achieve target grade. If you are looking for some other averaging method with credits you can also try to use this gpa calculator.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending