The Student Room Group

Low 2.2 in 2nd yr, can I get a 2.1/1st in 3rd yr?…

Hi I really need help calculating what I need to get a 2.1 or 1st.

Yr 2 is worth 30% and I scored 50%
Yr 3 is worth 70% with 5 modules including dissertation

What would I need to get in every module and dissertation to get a 2.1?

For a 1st , would I need to get a 1st in every module including dissertation? can I get any 2.1s?
and is just scraping 70 marks in each module enough?

I think I was in a similar position (maybe slightly worse) back when I did mine. I was getting low - mid 2.1 for my third year modules, and got a low 2.1 on the disso and came out with a 2.1 just about

I would seriously recommend forget trying to figure out the bare minimums and push for a first on every module, then you should at least get a 2.1 on everything (and overall). It was too much of a headache and led to a lot of overanalysing and panic that didn’t help

The dissertation counts for more that the other module individually, and a really higher grade on this can make up for any slack in the others. If you get a first on the disso, and 2.1s on the other modules you’ll likely get a first. Or at least a high 2.1. If they’re grading on a curve, then a high 2.1 could also get round to a first

70% is usually the mark for first, so technically getting 70s on everything will get you a 1st or at least near it
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
I think I was in a similar position (maybe slightly worse) back when I did mine. I was getting low - mid 2.1 for my third year modules, and got a low 2.1 on the disso and came out with a 2.1 just about

I would seriously recommend forget trying to figure out the bare minimums and push for a first on every module, then you should at least get a 2.1 on everything (and overall). It was too much of a headache and led to a lot of overanalysing and panic that didn’t help

The dissertation counts for more that the other module individually, and a really higher grade on this can make up for any slack in the others. If you get a first on the disso, and 2.1s on the other modules you’ll likely get a first. Or at least a high 2.1. If they’re grading on a curve, then a high 2.1 could also get round to a first

70% is usually the mark for first, so technically getting 70s on everything will get you a 1st or at least near it

Thank you so much!! this makes more sense. Yr 3 is just coursework assignments, so need to improve drastically in these as it’s not my strong point ahahah

Thanks again!
you would need a minimum of 65% on each module in year3 to just about get a 2.1.

In year 2 you achieved 50% across the modules and year 2 was weighted at 30% so you have 15% of your final mark out of a possible 30% that was up for grabs.

A 2.1 is 60% or higher so you need to accumulate a further 45% from all year 3 modules.

(65/100)*70 = 45.5

Thus, if you get 60% on one 20-credit module you will need to get 70% in another to compensate.

Honestly, you have a snowball in hells chance of pulling your grades from 50% average to 65% average unless you fundamentally change your approach to your studies cos what you have been doing so far is getting you a 2.2
(edited 2 years ago)
I'd check out this site: https://www.calculator.net/grade-calculator.html
You can use the final grade calculator or the one where you put in your individual modules. It'll tell you what you need to average for year 3. Just looking at the numbers as is, it's probably most realistic for you to aim for consistent high 2:1s and 1sts in all your modules in 3rd year to secure a 2:1 overall.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

For a 1st , would I need to get a 1st in every module including dissertation? can I get any 2.1s?

You'll need to check your course regulations to see how final degree classifications are calculated. At some universities it's purely calculated on the weighted average of the modules you take; but some have others ways of calculating the final classification (for example, by allowing some marks to be disregarded, or being able to apply alternative rules if their standard algorithm leaves you 1 or 2 per cent short of a boundary).
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1

I would suggest to get first in every module, first in dissertation and first in all other modules can get you first. You can use final grade calculator or the current grade calculator to know how you need to average your final grades using this Grade Calculator

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending