The Student Room Group

How to be confident and feel worthy

Hi there,

I’ve had depression for about 4 years and I’ve struggled with my self esteem a lot. My mind constantly replays scenarios and situations which I feel I could have handled better and cringey moments which I regret. I know that all of this has brought me to where I am today but I still worry about how others view me, though I know they couldn’t care less. A lot of these situations I had completely forgotten about but since r years ago they came back out of nowhere and started haunting me. I don’t when I will for once and for all feel peace. I mean I have so much to be grateful for but if it weren’t for this mindset I’d be chasing my goals. I’ve tried everything from counselling, journaling through to meditating. I’ve been thinking of taking up a sport or martial art as they are good for boosting confidence however I suffer from ocd and other health problems which make doing things outside the house very difficult. How do you love and accept yourself unconditionally, irrespective of how others view you?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I’ve had depression for about 4 years and I’ve struggled with my self esteem a lot. My mind constantly replays scenarios and situations which I feel I could have handled better and cringey moments which I regret. I know that all of this has brought me to where I am today but I still worry about how others view me, though I know they couldn’t care less. A lot of these situations I had completely forgotten about but since r years ago they came back out of nowhere and started haunting me. I don’t when I will for once and for all feel peace. I mean I have so much to be grateful for but if it weren’t for this mindset I’d be chasing my goals. I’ve tried everything from counselling, journaling through to meditating. I’ve been thinking of taking up a sport or martial art as they are good for boosting confidence however I suffer from ocd and other health problems which make doing things outside the house very difficult. How do you love and accept yourself unconditionally, irrespective of how others view you?

Teach yourself that everything you feel is okay and normal, it's not gonna be easy all the time, don't stress yourself out about things that have already happened, instead learn and then grow. Your past does not make you, you make your past and your present AND your future. Treat yourself like a HUMAN, not a robot. You are not expected to be perfect so don't expect that for yourself. Boost your confidence by embracing who you are. And I know so many people say that, but what I mean is different......see who you are inside out, see what you can change or enhance, nothing stays the same. This situation will not exist forever, change your future not your past. Put your head ahead of you not behind you, think of it like this, you cannot walk by facing behind you, you will end up stumbling. Look ahead of you and watch out and then will you be able to avoid falling, but if you do fall, rise this time and believe in yourself and have faith. In the end these people really don't matter, a comment from yesterday does not make your today, a mistake from yesterday does not arrange your future and a person should not determine your attitude, you dictate what happens, you dictate your type of life, you dictate your love for yourself, NO ONE else.

Quick Reply

Latest