The Student Room Group

Should government ministers and officials communicate on WhatsApp?

With the Covid Inquiry going on this week, there's been a renewed focus on WhatsApps between ministers, advisers and officials.

Large numbers of WhatsApps sent within the UK Government during covid are being scrutinished by the inquiry: https://news.sky.com/story/covid-inquiry-whatsapp-messages-reveal-government-infighting-at-start-of-pandemic-12975851

This follows controversy over whether Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak had disclosed WhatsApps sent from their phones to the inquiry.

In the Scottish Government, there is also a similar controversy as it appears Nicola Sturgeon and other ministers deleted their WhatsApps from during covid: https://news.stv.tv/politics/nicola-sturgeons-covid-whatsapp-messages-were-deleted-report-claims

What does this say about WhatsApp as a communication medium? Is it a good way for ministers to communicate quickly with their aides and civil servants, or is it too informal and unofficial for such official purposes? How can we make sure that government communication remains transparent when it needs to be in an age of instant messaging?
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Saracen's Fez
How can we make sure that government communication remains transparent when it needs to be in an age of instant messaging?

I think you're making a false assertion.

When was government communication transparent?

The transcript of messages is much better now than the unrecorded phonecalls made in yesteryear. Previously you'd only have meeting minutes to draw from, not the verbatim script.
Original post by Quady
I think you're making a false assertion.

When was government communication transparent?

The transcript of messages is much better now than the unrecorded phonecalls made in yesteryear. Previously you'd only have meeting minutes to draw from, not the verbatim script.

I guess the point I'm making is that if decisions are made at a formal meeting (as tey would tradiitonally have been) then minutes are at least taken by a civil servant and are on the publuc record. If you have verbatim transcripts on WhatsApp then great, but that transcript seemingly only exists provided the participants don't delete the messages. If they do then there seems to be no way of knowing what was said when.
I don’t see why not despite my strong dislike for Boris.
Reply 4
Original post by Saracen's Fez
I guess the point I'm making is that if decisions are made at a formal meeting (as tey would tradiitonally have been) then minutes are at least taken by a civil servant and are on the publuc record. If you have verbatim transcripts on WhatsApp then great, but that transcript seemingly only exists provided the participants don't delete the messages. If they do then there seems to be no way of knowing what was said when.

That's right, traditionally ministers didn't phone one another.
Reply 5
I'm generally supportive.

Since the requirement to record every minute of every day has never been enforced under any medium, the potential to have missing information has always existed. WhatsApp is used because US law allows for the content to be encrypted.

It's not a perfect solution but a government attempt to create an In House alternative would just be given to the lowest bidder like capita rather than the likes of Google so I don't have much faith that a sufficient substitute exists.

Greater penalties for missing information are probably best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending