The Student Room Group

How do I get someone to countersign my passport?

I've just changed my name on a deed poll and now I am about to get my first passport [it'll be an adult one], but i dont know *anyone* from the government list at all. Can anyone help?
Reply 1
Original post by georgiarose2000
I've just changed my name on a deed poll and now I am about to get my first passport [it'll be an adult one], but i dont know *anyone* from the government list at all. Can anyone help?

So you don't know a teacher, a minister of any religion or a company director.
Original post by nutz99
So you don't know a teacher, a minister of any religion or a company director.

only a teacher but because of lockdown i cannot get them to sign anything if it needs to be in person. also i've been at this college for 5 months and all my teacher have been there 1 year.
When I had to do mine recently it said I had to know the person for three years
My teacher did it
I’m not sure there’s anyone that could if you haven’t known your teachers long enough
I’m not sure if you could ask your doctor ?
Or could you maybe go to your old school to ask a teacher you know? Maybe a relative/friend thats some kind of teacher or Hugh position like that?
Original post by Anonymous
I’m not sure there’s anyone that could if you haven’t known your teachers long enough
I’m not sure if you could ask your doctor ?
Or could you maybe go to your old school to ask a teacher you know? Maybe a relative/friend thats some kind of teacher or Hugh position like that?

doctors cannot sign them :frown: - my secondary school is a very very long way away. i dont know what to do because i need a passport by august :/
I hate this rule. I remember my mum trying to get a signature for my younger sibling's passport, I had to go along to every person she asked and everyone she asked said no even though they knew my sibling for years. I can't remember who she got the signature from in the end as it was many years ago and I wasn't with her when she managed to get it.
Do you have a passport in your previous name that is still in date? It isn’t imperative that you update your name on it and get a new one.
If it is ID purposes that you need it for, then maybe look at a driving license.
If it is a passport that you need and don’t currently have one or in date, then I believe that some doctors will but may charge for this.
Teachers can, so could be worth emailing your secondary school.
Do you have a part time job or had one? Managers can sign too.
A bank official can too, dentist, someone who owns a limited company, journalists, those who are a licensee of a pub, nurses, police officers, prison officers, post office official, solicitors, accountants etc. Do your parents have friends of the family who are in any of the professions?
Original post by Rachgriffs
Do you have a passport in your previous name that is still in date? It isn’t imperative that you update your name on it and get a new one.
If it is ID purposes that you need it for, then maybe look at a driving license.
If it is a passport that you need and don’t currently have one or in date, then I believe that some doctors will but may charge for this.
Teachers can, so could be worth emailing your secondary school.
Do you have a part time job or had one? Managers can sign too.
A bank official can too, dentist, someone who owns a limited company, journalists, those who are a licensee of a pub, nurses, police officers, prison officers, post office official, solicitors, accountants etc. Do your parents have friends of the family who are in any of the professions?

I work at a pub ironically but i cannot go there and ask them because of the lockdown and also they're currently stuck in scotland. i have never had a passport at all before. i know nobody with any of those titles other than these people
I work at a pub ironically but i cannot go there and ask them because of the lockdown and also they're currently stuck in scotland. i have never had a passport at all before. i know nobody with any of those titles other than these people

Could you maybe speak to the owners of the pub via phone, then send the form and photos via recorded delivery for them to sign and pay the amount to them to send it back to you recorded delivery?
Reply 10

The chances are that you or your parents know somebody who is a company director. There are lots of small businesses out there that are limited companies but you may not realise they are a company. Think of people you know in business and search for them on companies house to check if they are a director.
Reply 11

Councillors in my city sign them for people. You could try that. Failing that, what did you do before your current job? What are your mates doing? What do your mates' partners do? Their parents? Are you a regular in a pub or other local business?
Most people know somebody, they just haven't thought of them.
You can also call the passport advice line if you are not sure if your countersignatory is appropri ate.
Reply 12
The list of "acceptable professions" isn't extensive and is only one of two options.

You simply need someone who meets the other criteria, and is of good standing in the community. This essentially means should they be found to have lied as a countersignatory their employment could be brought into disrepute.
Original post by elgooG
Councillors in my city sign them for people. You could try that. Failing that, what did you do before your current job? What are your mates doing? What do your mates' partners do? Their parents? Are you a regular in a pub or other local business?
Most people know somebody, they just haven't thought of them.
You can also call the passport advice line if you are not sure if your countersignatory is appropri ate.

i should have mentioned that i p much live in a field. the only one of my friends that have a parent/guardian with any profession is someone who's mother runs funerals but she isnt eligable to sign because she isnt a registered funeral director just the person who runs the ceremony [forgotten the word]

im going to go round my hamlet and just knock at people's doors and ask aha but thank you
Original post by nutz99
The chances are that you or your parents know somebody who is a company director. There are lots of small businesses out there that are limited companies but you may not realise they are a company. Think of people you know in business and search for them on companies house to check if they are a director.

Unfortunately not. i only live with my mother and she knows nobody. its getting to the point we're asking for friends of friends of friends to lie about knowing me. im hoping it'll all be sorted :smile:
Original post by IWMTom
The list of "acceptable professions" isn't extensive and is only one of two options.

You simply need someone who meets the other criteria, and is of good standing in the community. This essentially means should they be found to have lied as a countersignatory their employment could be brought into disrepute.

it's a very very long list:
accountant
airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of a recognised company
bank or building society official
barrister
chairman or director of a limited company
chiropodist
commissioner for oaths
councillor - local or county
civil servant - permanent
dentist
director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer with professional qualifications
financial services intermediary, for example a stockbroker or insurance broker
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent of a recognised company - full time
journalist
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
licensee of a public house
local government officer
manager or personnel officer of a limited company
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy Officer
minister of a recognised religion including Christian Science
nurse - registered
officer of the armed services
optician
paralegal - certified, qualified or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
person with honours - OBE or MBE
pharmacist
photographer - professional
police officer
Post Office official
president or secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army Officer
social worker
solicitor
surveyor
teacher or lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent - qualified
valuer or auctioneer - fellow or associate member of the incorporated society
Warrant Officer or Chief Petty Officer
Reply 16
it's a very very long list:
accountant
airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of a recognised company
bank or building society official
barrister
chairman or director of a limited company
chiropodist
commissioner for oaths
councillor - local or county
civil servant - permanent
dentist
director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer with professional qualifications
financial services intermediary, for example a stockbroker or insurance broker
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent of a recognised company - full time
journalist
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
licensee of a public house
local government officer
manager or personnel officer of a limited company
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy Officer
minister of a recognised religion including Christian Science
nurse - registered
officer of the armed services
optician
paralegal - certified, qualified or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
person with honours - OBE or MBE
pharmacist
photographer - professional
police officer
Post Office official
president or secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army Officer
social worker
solicitor
surveyor
teacher or lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent - qualified
valuer or auctioneer - fellow or associate member of the incorporated society
Warrant Officer or Chief Petty Officer

I'm going to just copy and paste my original post because my answer hasn't changed......

Hi did you get help?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending