The Student Room Group

Questions about computer science degrees and maths a-level.

Hey.
Back in secondary school, I got the wrong impression of computer science. I always planned to go into it, but somehow never clocked the importance of maths in the subject. Now that I've chosen my a-levels (computer science, business and English) I've realized- I should've taken maths a-level! So many top unis require it in their CS courses.

I'm hoping for some advice from uni students/reps:
1. How important is the "prestige" of the university I go to? Does it matter if I were to attend, say, the University of Essex instead of the University of Sheffield?
2. Assuming I take a comp science degree WITHOUT a maths A-level requirement, would that be a bad thing? Would I struggle? Would employers not want me?
3. Should I drop one of my subjects in year 2, and pickup a-level maths instead?
Reply 1
Original post by xTomCat
Hey.
Back in secondary school, I got the wrong impression of computer science. I always planned to go into it, but somehow never clocked the importance of maths in the subject. Now that I've chosen my a-levels (computer science, business and English) I've realized- I should've taken maths a-level! So many top unis require it in their CS courses.

1. How important is the "prestige" of the university I go to? Does it matter if I were to attend, say, the University of Essex instead of the University of Sheffield?
2. Assuming I take a comp science degree WITHOUT a maths A-level requirement, would that be a bad thing? Would I struggle? Would employers not want me?
3. Should I drop one of my subjects in year 2, and pickup a-level maths instead?

Not to sound condescending, but there is a reason most universities, rather than making CompSci a requirement at A-level, make Maths a requirement. It is an extremely Maths and logic heavy course and so you will require some of the necessary Maths skills taught in the A-level Maths course and some Maths skills through undergraduate lectures. The top universities also recommend that you take up Further Maths.

2) Employers generally don't care about your A-levels as it precedes your university degree. However, prestige most definitely plays a role in selecting applicants. However, it is not the only metric that is used in deciding whom to select for a given role - it is also the aptitude of the candidate and their exposure to industry. If you are after prestige and a nice facility (which usually comes with prestige as that is what drives the big money in), I would recommend doing A level Maths.

3) If I were in your position, I would swap English for CompSci (English doesn't really have much of a link) but do it ASAP. Why can't you do it in your first year? My school gave me 3 months to solidify the subjects I wanted to take up since the start of year 12 in September. I did Biology for two months as I was unsure what I wanted to do as a career but then we started learning about eyepiece graticules and I was like "No thank you" so I swapped Biology with Further Maths. Also, while business does indeed have strong links to CompSci, some admissions tutors may view it as a soft subject so are less likely to accept you. Is there anyway you can pick up a science subject (e.g. Physics or Chemistry but preferably Physics)? I know that certain subjects have certain GCSE requirements that you must meet in order to take them up for further study at A-level so I can't make a decision on that for you.

Also, I know it's a lot of work but is there any way your school will allow you to do 4 A-levels? If they do, definitely take it up as it will improve your application. Take up A level Maths as your 4th and swap English for one of the sciences but keep business. I know I said it is soft but it still has good links.

Popping my AO2 brain from GCSE English Lit

Based on the fact that you didn't take A level Maths from the outset suggests to me that you were unsure about what career path you wish to take up and what A levels to take up as a result and now that you have decided you want to go down the path of CompSci, you have realised that you should have taken A level Maths. Maths is applicable in so many different settings so the fact that you didn't take it suggests to me you don't like it perhaps (I may have read this wrong. I only got an 8 in GCSE English Lit and was never really any good at it)? If you don't like Maths, might I suggest that you look for a different career route because the CompSci courses at university are extremely Maths-intensive and I wouldn't want you to be in a position where you'd struggle because of not having been taught certain concepts. Universities do indeed cover the necessary Maths modules again as a refresher but they don't go into as much detail as it would if you were to do the A level course so you will have to do a lot of the work yourself, which is a lot to ask for in a first year, particularly as you need that first year to adjust to university life.

Please note that this is all intended to be constructive feedback. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending towards you and I hope this was helpful.
Reply 2
Original post by vnayak
Not to sound condescending, but there is a reason most universities, rather than making CompSci a requirement at A-level, make Maths a requirement. It is an extremely Maths and logic heavy course and so you will require some of the necessary Maths skills taught in the A-level Maths course and some Maths skills through undergraduate lectures. The top universities also recommend that you take up Further Maths.

2) Employers generally don't care about your A-levels as it precedes your university degree. However, prestige most definitely plays a role in selecting applicants. However, it is not the only metric that is used in deciding whom to select for a given role - it is also the aptitude of the candidate and their exposure to industry. If you are after prestige and a nice facility (which usually comes with prestige as that is what drives the big money in), I would recommend doing A level Maths.

3) If I were in your position, I would swap English for CompSci (English doesn't really have much of a link) but do it ASAP. Why can't you do it in your first year? My school gave me 3 months to solidify the subjects I wanted to take up since the start of year 12 in September. I did Biology for two months as I was unsure what I wanted to do as a career but then we started learning about eyepiece graticules and I was like "No thank you" so I swapped Biology with Further Maths. Also, while business does indeed have strong links to CompSci, some admissions tutors may view it as a soft subject so are less likely to accept you. Is there anyway you can pick up a science subject (e.g. Physics or Chemistry but preferably Physics)? I know that certain subjects have certain GCSE requirements that you must meet in order to take them up for further study at A-level so I can't make a decision on that for you.

Also, I know it's a lot of work but is there any way your school will allow you to do 4 A-levels? If they do, definitely take it up as it will improve your application. Take up A level Maths as your 4th and swap English for one of the sciences but keep business. I know I said it is soft but it still has good links.

Popping my AO2 brain from GCSE English Lit

Based on the fact that you didn't take A level Maths from the outset suggests to me that you were unsure about what career path you wish to take up and what A levels to take up as a result and now that you have decided you want to go down the path of CompSci, you have realised that you should have taken A level Maths. Maths is applicable in so many different settings so the fact that you didn't take it suggests to me you don't like it perhaps (I may have read this wrong. I only got an 8 in GCSE English Lit and was never really any good at it)? If you don't like Maths, might I suggest that you look for a different career route because the CompSci courses at university are extremely Maths-intensive and I wouldn't want you to be in a position where you'd struggle because of not having been taught certain concepts. Universities do indeed cover the necessary Maths modules again as a refresher but they don't go into as much detail as it would if you were to do the A level course so you will have to do a lot of the work yourself, which is a lot to ask for in a first year, particularly as you need that first year to adjust to university life.

Please note that this is all intended to be constructive feedback. I'm not trying to be mean or condescending towards you and I hope this was helpful.

Thanks for the input. In my position, it is impossible to take up A-level maths this year. The thing is, though, SO many universities don't have a-level maths as a requirement... Including the likes of Nottingham, Cardiff, and many others. I'm hesitant to drop English as:
1. I'm interested in it.
2. Good English skills are valuable everywhere.
3. Apparently, broad skills are valuable to employers.

I don't necessarily dislike maths, especially when it pertains to elements of computer science. In fact, I would say I'm extremely interested in it in that regard. I'm just not that bothered on it's own... So I don't really know what to do. The uni selection I have seems fine, and I'm not sure I could stomach taking an extra year of 1 A-level.

How important do you truly think it is?
Reply 3
My view is slightly different. I completed a Computer Science degree as a non-prestigious university, without A level math (it wasn't a requirement for my course), and I didn't struggle. Maths is clearly important, but it is only one element of the course. I later went on to achieve a MSC in Software Engineering at Oxford University - again, no maths A level.

For most employers, qualifications will get you through the shortlisting process. It is the interview where you are judged for suitability for the position. Clearly there will be some companies that look for specific universities when considering qualifications, and I suppose it depends what you are looking for when you leave university as to whether this will be important to you (in my case, the fact that I did my MSc at Oxford had no bearing on me securing my CIO position).

There was a previous post on this subject, asking about Computer Science courses that don't require maths. Here is a link to it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7323783#post98833381

Good luck with your studies.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by JohnB1
My view is slightly different. I completed a Computer Science degree as a non-prestigious university, without A level math (it wasn't a requirement for my course), and I didn't struggle. Maths is clearly important, but it is only one element of the course. I later went on to achieve a MSC in Software Engineering at Oxford University - again, no maths A level.

For most employers, qualifications will get you through the shortlisting process. It is the interview where you are judged for suitability for the position. Clearly there will be some companies that look for specific universities when considering qualifications, and I suppose it depends what you are looking for when you leave university as to whether this will be important to you (in my case, the fact that I did my MSc at Oxford had no bearing on me securing my CIO position).

There was a previous post on this subject, asking about Computer Science courses that don't require maths. Here is a link to it: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7323783#post98833381

Good luck with your studies.

Thank you so much for the insight!
Reply 5
Could you do core maths next year? Not sure it it's possible in Yr 13.
Reply 6
Original post by xTomCat
Thanks for the input. In my position, it is impossible to take up A-level maths this year. The thing is, though, SO many universities don't have a-level maths as a requirement... Including the likes of Nottingham, Cardiff, and many others. I'm hesitant to drop English as:
1. I'm interested in it.

I don't necessarily dislike maths, especially when it pertains to elements of computer science. In fact, I would say I'm extremely interested in it in that regard. I'm just not that bothered on it's own... So I don't really know what to do. The uni selection I have seems fine, and I'm not sure I could stomach taking an extra year of 1 A-level.

if you are interested in maths i think you should take it, it's objectively the best a level (and i might be biased about this one but it was definitely my fav and was relatively straight forward). It not only opens up many many career options but will help you tremendously if you want to get into computer science even at the universities that dont require it. Also i see you took a-level business and maths not only complements comp sci, but this as well.

Also (in my opinion you dont have to take my advice) unless you really like english i don't think the points you said earlier are really that significant. Yes good english skills are valued by employers but you do not need an a-level for it.
Reply 7
Original post by xTomCat
1. I'm interested in it.

Is there any particular reason you cant switch to maths, if the college outright said no, and you want to; explain you will do all you can to catch up (you could cover the past 3 months content in a couple days on TL maths) and that its absolutely essential to your future universities.
Taking it next year, which i doubt they'll let you do if they wont let you in Y12, will only get you an AS-level, which wont really add much to your application beyond not doing it all.
Original post by xTomCat
Hey.

Hiya,

I am Jivanthika, a second year student at the University of Sheffield studying computer science and AI and I remember the nerves of applying to university and all the questions I had so I hope I can help your application process a little bit!

1) I would say it is important to look at the modules in the particular courses at the universities as some might allow for more experience at certain skills that can be desirable to employers. For example, at Sheffield they offer several group assignments during your course so that you learn to work collaboratively and gain skills that you can utilise in the industry.
2) While it is not that employers wouldn't want you for not taking a level maths, I have found that the course contains a lot more maths content that I imagined so I think it is important to have a good foundations in mathematics or it could become a bit difficult to catch up with the level of difficulty at University. However, some universities will provide opportunities for you to develop your maths skills once you are there. For example, the University of Sheffield has 301: Academics Centre which allows students to fill in their gaps in their knowledge and gain more confidence. Personally, I would definitely recommend an A Level in Maths.
3) I am not sure how your school focuses on A Levels, however the general A Level course is 2 years so I am not sure if you can complete all your revision in almost under a year.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions
Jivanthika :smile:
Original post by xTomCat
Hey.

Hi @xTomCat I'm a 2nd year Computer Science student here at Lancaster.

Lancaster is ranked in the top 10 in The Complete University Guide 2024 as well as this it has a Gold rating in the TEF 2023 - if Uni ratings is important in your choices.

Lancaster's computer science BSc does not have any required subjects. It also offers a contextual offer to anybody who studies or has studied Maths or Computer Science at a-level. The grade requirements are AAB so as you are doing Computer Science you should get a grade reduction taking this down to ABB.

Any maths needed within the modules is taught but we also have something called MASH which is run by the science and tech faculty. They run weekly sessions to improve maths skills focusing on different topics each time. You can also book 1 to 1 appointments with a MASH tutor if you feel you could benefit.

This sort of provision may be in other universities but I can only tell you about Lancaster!

Any other questions or concerns please ask and I hope this helps and reassures you, Ella
Original post by xTomCat
Hey.

Hi @xTomCat !
At Essex we are currently 9th in the UK for research impact in computer science ( Grade Point Average REF 2021) and Top 150 for computer Science in THE World University Rankings by Subject 2024.

As a former Essex student and now current employee, I am confident in saying what matters to employers is not the overall university ranking but is the department ranking compared to all other universities for the same department in the country.
When doing my choice to study at Essex I look at my department ranking as well as the facilities that Essex offered.
For example at Essex for computer science offers six laboratories exclusively for computer science students that include:
-All computers are dual boot Windows 10 and Linux. Apple Mac Computers are dual boot MacOS and Windows 10;
-Software includes Java, Prolog, C++, Perl, Mysql, Matlab, DB2, Microsoft Office, Visual Studio, and Project;
-As a student you will have access to CAD tools and simulators for chip design (Xilinx) and computer networks (OMNet++);
-We also have specialist facilities for research into areas including non-invasive brain-computer interfaces, intelligent environments, robotics, optoelectronics, video, RF and MW, printed circuit milling, and semiconductors
-Library open 24h.

Essex also offers the opportunity between our second and third year of university to study abroad in one off our renewed university partnerships or do a full year of placement on a company of your choice.
Essex Abroad : Study Abroad | University of Essex
Essex Placement Year: Work placements and Work Based Learning | University of Essex

In term of entry requirements Essex asks for:
-GCSE: Mathematics C/4;
-A-levels: BBB - BBC or 120 112 UCAS; with no specific subjects
-BTEC: DDM DMM or 120 112 UCAS; with no specific subjects.

We have a mini open day 20th January 2024 where you can see all the facilities, accomodation and speak to current students.
Open day Booking: Open Days | University of Essex

I hope this information helps you make our decision and if you have nay more questions just let me know! 😃

Essex Official Rep- Cat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending