The Student Room Group

Further maths or computer science?

I started college last week, and the A level subjects I’ve chosen are physics, maths and computer science. However, I didn’t do computer science at gcse, so I’m going into this blind. I’m worried about coursework, exams etc. because I have a feeling it may be too hard for me. So I’m considering switching to further maths (which I know is also hard). Is it worth making the switch? I got a 9 in gcse maths. How hard is further maths compared to computer science?
Computer science (definitely for OCR and I think for other boards too) doesn't have as much of a GCSE to A-level progression as other subjects because it's relatively new as a subject, so you shouldn't need to worry much about not knowing GCSE content.
Comparing the GCSE and A-level, I've been retaught all of the pertinent GCSE content in the A-level, so I assume it would be similar for your college.
Coding might be a problem if you don't have any idea at all, but the expectation is not very high so it wouldn't take much effort to be at a reasonable level from scratch and if you know some already you'd probably be alright.
The coursework is a fair amount of work, but if you're proactive you can get the best part of it done before the big academic crunch when your exams are approaching.

Further maths is definitely harder in terms of raw content, but if you really like maths and/or don't think you'd be able to keep on top of the computing coursework it could be an easier option overrall.
Computer science also has lots more marks in remembering definitions whereas further maths is applying the techniques you've learnt. Again, the maths content is harder, but it might also be something that suits you better.

For maths/FM I'm with Edexcel and computing OCR (also physics). Computing is the subject I find the least effort, but I also think it's a bit slow and boring at times (teaching may vary). I'd put FM as second hardest behind physics, but I'm very pro-maths and not such a fan of the writing-heavy questions in physics - they are probably inverted in terms of actual complexity of content.

If that got a bit long;
Computing is much easier, there probably won't be many gaps from GCSE knowledge, you'd probably benefit from a bit of coding (but maybe not much), and the coursework is something to bear in mind.
Further maths is a good deal harder, there is less rote memorisation than computing, but there is still a lot of content. Strong interest is probably more useful than for computing.
If your college accomodates for it, you could try taking both simultaneously for the beginning of the year and then dropping one.
Reply 2
Original post by Larry_not_here
I started college last week, and the A level subjects I’ve chosen are physics, maths and computer science. However, I didn’t do computer science at gcse, so I’m going into this blind. I’m worried about coursework, exams etc. because I have a feeling it may be too hard for me. So I’m considering switching to further maths (which I know is also hard). Is it worth making the switch? I got a 9 in gcse maths. How hard is further maths compared to computer science?

Pretty much agree with all Rufus's comments. About the only thing to add is the oxbridge++ universities would probably value FM more for computer science/engineering/maths degrees.
(edited 7 months ago)
Original post by Rufus The Red
Computer science (definitely for OCR and I think for other boards too) doesn't have as much of a GCSE to A-level progression as other subjects because it's relatively new as a subject, so you shouldn't need to worry much about not knowing GCSE content.
Comparing the GCSE and A-level, I've been retaught all of the pertinent GCSE content in the A-level, so I assume it would be similar for your college.
Coding might be a problem if you don't have any idea at all, but the expectation is not very high so it wouldn't take much effort to be at a reasonable level from scratch and if you know some already you'd probably be alright.
The coursework is a fair amount of work, but if you're proactive you can get the best part of it done before the big academic crunch when your exams are approaching.

Further maths is definitely harder in terms of raw content, but if you really like maths and/or don't think you'd be able to keep on top of the computing coursework it could be an easier option overrall.
Computer science also has lots more marks in remembering definitions whereas further maths is applying the techniques you've learnt. Again, the maths content is harder, but it might also be something that suits you better.

For maths/FM I'm with Edexcel and computing OCR (also physics). Computing is the subject I find the least effort, but I also think it's a bit slow and boring at times (teaching may vary). I'd put FM as second hardest behind physics, but I'm very pro-maths and not such a fan of the writing-heavy questions in physics - they are probably inverted in terms of actual complexity of content.

If that got a bit long;
Computing is much easier, there probably won't be many gaps from GCSE knowledge, you'd probably benefit from a bit of coding (but maybe not much), and the coursework is something to bear in mind.
Further maths is a good deal harder, there is less rote memorisation than computing, but there is still a lot of content. Strong interest is probably more useful than for computing.
If your college accomodates for it, you could try taking both simultaneously for the beginning of the year and then dropping one.

Thanks so much!! Your answer helped me a lot with my decision, and I’ve decided I may stick with computer science. Thanks again for all the information!! It’s very useful.
Original post by mqb2766
Pretty much agree with all Rufus's comments. About the only thing to add is the oxbridge++ universities would probably value FM more for computer science/engineering/maths degrees.

I read about that online!! It’s one of the reasons I considered further maths instead of computer science. But I think it’ll still be okay with computer science? I’m thinking of going into aerospace engineering further down the line so I reckon it would help to have some knowledge in computer science. I would do both computer science and further math but I’m afraid all my subjects would be impacted and it would be too much for me. I think I’m going to stick with computer science, and it can help me widen options for degree.
Reply 5
I read about that online!! It’s one of the reasons I considered further maths instead of computer science. But I think it’ll still be okay with computer science? I’m thinking of going into aerospace engineering further down the line so I reckon it would help to have some knowledge in computer science. I would do both computer science and further math but I’m afraid all my subjects would be impacted and it would be too much for me. I think I’m going to stick with computer science, and it can help me widen options for degree.

Id look at the entry requirements for the unis youre thinking about. Generally for engineering fm would be "preferred" to cs, but if its not explicitly stated in the entry requirements, you should be fine.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6

Both subjects would be highly valued subjects in a stem course and are interesting A levels. I’m a current year 13 taking Maths,Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science and yes it is an intense combination and I have doubted it time to time but at the end of the day I love all of them and I know I have the determination to make it work. Although, just be careful to not overload yourself as no uni requires 4 A levels. The computer science course is easier overall I’d say although the project is hefty and difficult for a small 70 marks but the exam contents fine (I did the gcse so it’s also just less new stuff for me). Further maths is more abstract and lots of Algebra so don’t take it unless you enjoy algebra and really pushing your limits in maths. It seems like you’ve already had some advice and come to a conclusion but i thought I’d still add something and try to help as someone who had a similar debate when I decided to take 4.

Quick Reply

Latest