The Student Room Group

computer science degree without maths

is it possible to do well in computer science in university without doing maths in a level? I do computer science a level but not maths is it possible for someone who didn't do maths in a level get accepted for computer science or even do well at it?
Reply 1
Definitely. A level maths is far more than is required for a computer science degree. If you look at the modules on a University website, you will usually see that a maths module is mandatory, although the scope is limited (usually to set theory, probability and proof theorems). I completed my computer science degree without A level maths and didn't find the maths module too challenging. Good luck in your future studies.
Original post by DRIPDRIP9463
is it possible to do well in computer science in university without doing maths in a level? I do computer science a level but not maths is it possible for someone who didn't do maths in a level get accepted for computer science or even do well at it?

It depends on the university. Some will accept you without it but most top ones insist on A level Maths. Here is a list I prepared a couple of years ago. You will need to check this is still the case.

Computer Science without A Level Maths

Aberystwyth grade C or4 GCSE
Aston grade 4 GCSE
Cardiff grade 6 GCSE
East Anglia grade 5 GCSE. Accepts A level in Computing Science and other subjects
Keele grade 4 GCSE
Kent grade 4 GCSE
Lancaster grade 6 GCSE
Leeds grade 6 GCSE Accepts Computing
Liverpool grade 4 GCSE Accepts Computer science
Newcastle grade 6 GCSE
Nottingham grade 5 Accepts Computing
Queen Mary grade 5 Accepts Computer Science
Reading Maths, Physics or Computer Science grade 6
Royal Holloway grade 6 accepts CS, Maths or Physics
Sussex grade 6
Swansea grade 6 in Maths or Physics

Hi there!

This will surely depend on the university's specific entry requirements. I had a look at our official University of Kent website and for example they do not require an Maths A Level, just a grade 4 in Maths GCSE. So if you can think of where you want to study and go through their entry requirements, as long as you meet their expected A level grades you should be fine!

I hope this helps and best of luck :smile:

Tracy
UKC Rep

Hiya! It's certainly possible! A lot of universities will require A-Level Maths to get into their Computer Science course but not all have it listed as a requirement. Lancaster is one of them. If they don't require A-Level Maths, that usually indicates that the university's CS curriculum is less maths-heavy and focuses more on the practical side of CS. You might want to have a look at a list of universities you like the look of that don't have A-Level Maths as an entry requirement and see whether you like the modules they offer.

I did Maths at A-Level and I find that I don't often use the knowledge there in my degree (I'm a final year CS student at Lancaster). It's definitely possible to still get accepted for CS and do well provided you look at the entry requirements and apply to universities that you have the qualifications for.

Lancaster's only entry requirement for Maths is a GCSE at grade 6/B. I've loved my time here and would recommend! Here's a link to our Computer Science course page: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/. Feel free to browse around!

All the best!

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 5
Original post by JohnB1
Definitely. A level maths is far more than is required for a computer science degree. If you look at the modules on a University website, you will usually see that a maths module is mandatory, although the scope is limited (usually to set theory, probability and proof theorems). I completed my computer science degree without A level maths and didn't find the maths module too challenging. Good luck in your future studies.

what course and university did you go to? i also don't do a level maths
Original post by alinahmd

Look at post 3 there is a list of universities that dont require A level Maths and their GCSE requirement.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
Look at post 3 there is a list of universities that dont require A level Maths and their GCSE requirement.

oh right thank you!
Reply 8
Original post by alinahmd

I attended Wolverhampton University - primarily because I lived locally at the time and was doing day release

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending