The Student Room Group

Are these good for Computer Science?

I want to study Computer Science at University. I am deciding to pick the following as my a levels:

Further Maths

Maths

Computer Science

Politics

Are these good a levels to get me into somewhere like -

Oxford, UCL,Manchester , Durham, St Andrews, Loughborough, Warwick

I didn’t pick physics as i dislike it
Yh those are good bro
Youre choosing further maths so you have the opportunity to receive an offer from oxford or cambridge as they look for further
Reply 2
Have you actually looked on the website for each Uni to see what their entry requirements are - both required A level subjects and the grade requirements?

Most dont want Comp Sci A level doe a Comp Sci degree - but top Unis will want or 'prefer' both Maths and Further Maths
Reply 3
Original post by McGinger
Have you actually looked on the website for each Uni to see what their entry requirements are - both required A level subjects and the grade requirements?

Most dont want Comp Sci A level doe a Comp Sci degree - but top Unis will want or 'prefer' both Maths and Further Maths

The websites say only maths is needed. However, everyone i've seen get in, say they do Maths, Further maths and physics/chemistry/computer science.
Reply 4
Original post by schooluserfor
The websites say only maths is needed. However, everyone i've seen get in, say they do Maths, Further maths and physics/chemistry/computer science.

That doesnt mean you HAVE to have these subjects - just that those applicants did.

Email that Uni's Admissions Office and ask.
Hi! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster University and at my university, further maths is also not required to get into Computer Science. Instead, it is more important to know that Computer Science is a very broad topic, and not all require maths or further maths. Only if you want to get into Machine Learning or for example AI fields, then further maths will be very helpful when dealing with the algorithms. I think your list of A-levels looks quite nice :smile: All the best to you and I hope you'll get into the university and degree that you want to study at in the future!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Student Ambassador)

I want to study Computer Science at University. I am deciding to pick the following as my a levels:

Further Maths

Maths

Computer Science

Politics

Are these good a levels to get me into somewhere like -

Oxford, UCL,Manchester , Durham, St Andrews, Loughborough, Warwick

I didn’t pick physics as i dislike it

Hi @schooluserfor,

I know I've replied on another thread, but I wanted to post here too :smile:

It's great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough.

I just wanted to post a link to our BSc Computer Science degree page here. The page includes entry requirements, module details and information about future careers.

We also have other courses that include computer science and they would be worth taking a look at if you're interested. You can view them on our main undergraduate course page here.

I hope this helps :smile: if you have any other questions, let me know.

- Lindsay
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending