The Student Room Group

Hypertrophy

Is this the best way to gain maximum muscle tissue? How does this style of training differ to other styles?
Reply 1
Original post by lesgo21
Is this the best way to gain maximum muscle tissue? How does this style of training differ to other styles?

Do you mean progressively increasing the weight you use to train muscles?
My understanding of the current consensus on hypertrophy, i.e. muscular size, is that it is best gained by using exercises which allow you to put the muscle you're trying to grow into a deep stretch in the lengthened position and taking your sets very close to, and even reaching on occasion, failure. That's the most efficient way, I think. You can, of course, still gain muscle from other training methods, but it'll be less efficient than hypertrophy specific training.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
My understanding of the current consensus on hypertrophy, i.e. muscular size, is that it is best gained by using exercises which allow you to put the muscle you're trying to grow into a deep stretch in the lengthened position and taking your sets very close to, and even reaching on occasion, failure. That's the most efficient way, I think. You can, of course, still gain muscle from other training methods, but it'll be less efficient than hypertrophy specific training.

why is it not a good idea to reach failure on every single set, when I watch bodybuilders they look like they train hard
Original post by lesgo21
why is it not a good idea to reach failure on every single set, when I watch bodybuilders they look like they train hard

That's fine if you can recover from it. Keep in mind though that many bodybuilders are on more than just protein powder, though, which likely helps recovery.
Reply 5
Original post by lesgo21

Two reasons:

Evidence suggests little difference in hypertrophy when training to failure vs training close to failure.

Training to failure carries increased risk of injury and creates more fatigue.

Quick Reply

Latest