The Student Room Group

DSA Process

Hi, I've got a question about the DSA process, and I was wondering if anybody who has got experience of getting DSA could point me in the right direction, please?

I will be a first year student in September 2023, and I have applied for DSA. It had been confirmed that I am eligible, and last week I had my needs assessment. What do I need to do next?

I know that I need to speak to my university about things like reasonable adjustments in exams, extended deadlines, etc, but I'm not sure how to get in touch with them.

Also, I haven't yet received a report of recommended tools from the needs assessment, although I have been emailed a list of demo videos for the software. Is that OK, should I just wait, or does that mean that there is a problem?

My needs assessor told me that the report will come with a list of phone numbers and order numbers so that I can order the hardware, but I haven't received that yet.

Also, how does that work when it comes to software, as most of my recommendations are software? I thought that I would get them set up on my laptop, but I've got to pay for them, which DSA will cover. Should I pay for them now and ask DSA to reimburse me, or does it work differently?

I hope that my questions make sense, and I'm sorry that there are so many of them. I am quite confused about the process. If anybody could answer any of my questions, please, I would be very grateful!

Many thanks in advance! Have a great day!
Reply 1
See my replies below in bold
Original post by Ahsoka5!
Hi, I've got a question about the DSA process, and I was wondering if anybody who has got experience of getting DSA could point me in the right direction, please? Im pretty much in the same boat as you but I've asked a few questions so heres the answers I can give you

I will be a first year student in September 2023, and I have applied for DSA. It had been confirmed that I am eligible, and last week I had my needs assessment. What do I need to do next?

I know that I need to speak to my university about things like reasonable adjustments in exams, extended deadlines, etc, but I'm not sure how to get in touch with them.Your Universty will have a disability dept, look on their website for links and email them

Also, I haven't yet received a report of recommended tools from the needs assessment, although I have been emailed a list of demo videos for the software. Is that OK, should I just wait, or does that mean that there is a problem? Wait until you get your letter from SFE to tell you to order equipment

My needs assessor told me that the report will come with a list of phone numbers and order numbers so that I can order the hardware, but I haven't received that yet.see above

Also, how does that work when it comes to software, as most of my recommendations are software? I thought that I would get them set up on my laptop, but I've got to pay for them, which DSA will cover. Should I pay for them now and ask DSA to reimburse me, or does it work differently? The letter from SFE will explain about the software the way I was told is that irt all gets installed for you and you get a demonstration from the supplier

I hope that my questions make sense, and I'm sorry that there are so many of them. I am quite confused about the process. If anybody could answer any of my questions, please, I would be very grateful! Just dont worry about it, it isnt a straightforward process, it goes from the assessor to their bosses to check over, then you should get a copy to read through and make sure your ok with it, then it goes to SFE or them to arrange the costs and suppliers, then finally you get the letter from SFE. If you need any ergonomic aids you will get a call from their assessor to make an appointment. A good idea would be to email your assessor who will be able to tell you where the assessment is up to

Reply 2
Hi, I've got a question about the DSA process, and I was wondering if anybody who has got experience of getting DSA could point me in the right direction, please?

I know that I need to speak to my university about things like reasonable adjustments in exams, extended deadlines, etc, but I'm not sure how to get in touch with them.

Also, I haven't yet received a report of recommended tools from the needs assessment, although I have been emailed a list of demo videos for the software. Is that OK, should I just wait, or does that mean that there is a problem?

My needs assessor told me that the report will come with a list of phone numbers and order numbers so that I can order the hardware, but I haven't received that yet.

Also, how does that work when it comes to software, as most of my recommendations are software? I thought that I would get them set up on my laptop, but I've got to pay for them, which DSA will cover. Should I pay for them now and ask DSA to reimburse me, or does it work differently?

I hope that my questions make sense, and I'm sorry that there are so many of them. I am quite confused about the process. If anybody could answer any of my questions, please, I would be very grateful!

When we did it they asked us if we were ok sharing the needs assessment with the university. As we were OK with that the disabilities office got directly in contact with us and asked us to fill in a form detailing the adjustments for exams etc that we thought necessary. I imagine you could contact your disabilities office and inform them of your assessment and DSA just to get the ball moving.
If I remember correctly the needs assessor or DSA office contacted a supplier for the software directly and we just received a link and code to install it ourselves on the PC, but had to contact the supplier directly ourselves to agree to training times for the software.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 3
Thank you very much for your step by step answers, that is exactly what I needed!
Reply 4
Do you know roughly how long it takes for the letter from SFE to arrive? I'm a bit anxious that I won't have everything set up before my course starts on the 25th of September
Reply 5
Do you know roughly how long it takes for the letter from SFE to arrive? I'm a bit anxious that I won't have everything set up before my course starts on the 25th of September

Less than 2 weeks for us.
Reply 6
That's great, thank you! I'm feeling much more peaceful about everything now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending