The Student Room Group

Supercurriculars for biochem - University

Hi guys I’m in Y12 and I was wondering does anyone have any good books related to biology/chemistry as I wanna do biochem at univeristy. Any recommendations would be useful!
Original post by Peaslover
Hi guys I’m in Y12 and I was wondering does anyone have any good books related to biology/chemistry as I wanna do biochem at univeristy. Any recommendations would be useful!

@sleep_supremacy can you offer some advice on this please? :smile:
Original post by Peaslover

Original post by normaw
@sleep_supremacy can you offer some advice on this please? :smile:

Thanks for the tag @normaw :smile:

If you're looking to pick up a textbook to gain a better understanding of biochemistry and learn more about it, I'd recommend Lehninger. It's very comprehensive and widely used, though a tad wordy and verbose. I've heard a lot of praise for Voet and Voet's version as well. J.M. Berg is another good one that comes to mind. Keep in mind that biochemistry is a very broad and complex topic, so don't be put off if you can't grasp all the concepts at once, and don't stress out trying to learn them. Some textbooks specialize more in certain areas than others; I have omitted mentioning them assuming you want a more foundational basis.

I hope this helps! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Hii!

@sleep_supremacy gave a good recommendation, but if you are looking for something more concise then I would recommend the ‘Introduction to Biochemistry’ by Mark Lorch. This book is not as wordy as the Lehninger and explains topics using the knowledge you learn at A-Level, so its much easier to grasp while also giving you a good understanding of what biochemistry is about. I also recommend going onto NewScientist and looking at articles related to biochemistry, so you can see its applications in real life.

I hope that helps!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending