The Student Room Group

What to i need to do/prepare for studying Law in University in Year 12?

i honestly havent a clue what i want to do but doing law is one the subjects im sure of however i spent most my time researching other courses and i havent a clue what i need to do in order to prepare for studying Law in university. Will greatly appreciate any advice🙏🙏😰
Reply 1
Original post by sannsjahahbsw
i honestly havent a clue what i want to do but doing law is one the subjects im sure of however i spent most my time researching other courses and i havent a clue what i need to do in order to prepare for studying Law in university. Will greatly appreciate any advice🙏🙏😰

Focus on supercurriculars - supercurriculars are extracurriculars which are related to your degree, for example I did a week-long law taster course at the university of surrey, set up and ran my school's law society, and was involved with Human Rights and Genocide Awareness society. Try and get involved with anything like this clubs or experiences are particularly helpful but you can also do reading to prepare you (I would recommend How about law? or Letters to a law student), or enter essay competitions about law, if you just google these some will come up. If you are doing an EPQ at sixth form focus it on a topic related to law or an aspect of law.
Supercurriculars can be done for very little money e.g. setting a club up in your school, whilst some of the law degree experiences are a ridiculous amount of money you can look into attending a widening participation one, which most universities run and will list the criteria for which is typically due to where you live, whether you have been on free school meals, if you've been a young carer/ been in care or are an asylum seeker. You can also just do some legal research if your school has a JSTOR subscription just type law into the search bar and look through articles to find something interesting. Most law essay competitions are also free so enter those if you have time.

Also do some supercurriculars, get involved in your school's leadership teams or join a sports club / practice an instrument, learn a language. Enjoy your sixth form experience forst and foremost doing anything outside of school will provide you with skills that prepare you for law.
Reply 2
Do virtual and in person work experience or take part in extracurricular activities in school. This will help you gain a better understanding of law and you may also appeal to some universities which can help you get into your chosen uni’s

Hi!

There is no one way of preparing to study law at university. I would recommend seeing if you can get some work experience with a local law firm, not only is this a really good way of showing a university that you are interested in law and dedicated to studying it further but it will also be extremely valuable in helping you decide whether you definitely want to do law at university! I would also recommend doing any extra curricular activities during your time at Sixth Form/ College which you can relate to different skills you may need in the industry such as organisation, team work, critical thinking etc. If you really want to prepare yourself, you could also do some additional legal research. I find that listening to the 'Law in Action' podcast is an easy and interesting way to stay in touch with topical law.

I hope this helps :smile:

Sophie
Reply 4
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi!

There is no one way of preparing to study law at university. I would recommend seeing if you can get some work experience with a local law firm, not only is this a really good way of showing a university that you are interested in law and dedicated to studying it further but it will also be extremely valuable in helping you decide whether you definitely want to do law at university! I would also recommend doing any extra curricular activities during your time at Sixth Form/ College which you can relate to different skills you may need in the industry such as organisation, team work, critical thinking etc. If you really want to prepare yourself, you could also do some additional legal research. I find that listening to the 'Law in Action' podcast is an easy and interesting way to stay in touch with topical law.

I hope this helps :smile:

Sophie

ahhhh thank you so much for your reply I will definitely check out that podcast!!
Reply 5
Original post by alliewill05
Focus on supercurriculars - supercurriculars are extracurriculars which are related to your degree, for example I did a week-long law taster course at the university of surrey, set up and ran my school's law society, and was involved with Human Rights and Genocide Awareness society. Try and get involved with anything like this clubs or experiences are particularly helpful but you can also do reading to prepare you (I would recommend How about law? or Letters to a law student), or enter essay competitions about law, if you just google these some will come up. If you are doing an EPQ at sixth form focus it on a topic related to law or an aspect of law.
Supercurriculars can be done for very little money e.g. setting a club up in your school, whilst some of the law degree experiences are a ridiculous amount of money you can look into attending a widening participation one, which most universities run and will list the criteria for which is typically due to where you live, whether you have been on free school meals, if you've been a young carer/ been in care or are an asylum seeker. You can also just do some legal research if your school has a JSTOR subscription just type law into the search bar and look through articles to find something interesting. Most law essay competitions are also free so enter those if you have time.

Also do some supercurriculars, get involved in your school's leadership teams or join a sports club / practice an instrument, learn a language. Enjoy your sixth form experience forst and foremost doing anything outside of school will provide you with skills that prepare you for law.

WOAHh THNAK YOUUUU very veryyy helpful i appreciate it so much thank youuu

Hi!
My first piece of advice would be to definitely study law at A-Level or BTEC Level 3 this would be in preparation for you to study law at university- this will give you a good foundation to build on when you study law at university. My second piece of advice would be to research universities which will give you the best opportunities to boost your CV to increase your chances of being employed as a lawyer. My third piece of advice is to do some volunteering or pick up a part-time job if possible: in Law any experience is good experience- it does not have to be legal experience. In fact, employers prefer for you to have legal and non-legal experience. Good luck!
I don't know if you have chosen A levels yet but things like English Lit and History are good ones. I did those two plus German A levels. In other words traditional fairly hard A levels, even maths and sciences are fine, are best as law is quite academically competitive.

50% of future lawyers do not do law as a first degree by the way so do bear that in mind too although I very much enjoyed my LLB.

You will need to do the LNAT exam if you choose law for most decent universities so practice at that is a good idea.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending