The Student Room Group

Pupillage Application 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PenPup
Not my experience, I have been working in litigation since Bar School. I have appeared in hundreds of hearings, and regularly draft pleadings. It has made absolutely no difference for me. The only positive is that my experience will likely lead to a pupillage reduction but that is useless if you cannot get a pupillage.

Do you feel like your litigation experience has helped you in the application process and given you an insight into life as a barrister? I would have thought the two roles would align quite nicely (litigation paralegal work is my next immediate goal after working as a paralegal in-house)
Original post by pupillage0123
Yes, this year has been brutal. I also have 1 application left. What area were you applying to? I applied mostly to Commercial and Commercial Chancery so I wondered if that has something to do with it.

I did this too - and last year as well. I'm starting to think that it's too far out of my reach and that I should change tack next year. The only problem is all of my employed roles were in the commercial sectors!
Advocacy exercises for FRI (crim sets) are usually plea in mitigations/bail applications?
Original post by Bar_99
Advocacy exercises for FRI (crim sets) are usually plea in mitigations/bail applications?

Usually, yes.
Reply 2944
Original post by PenPup
Not my experience, I have been working in litigation since Bar School. I have appeared in hundreds of hearings, and regularly draft pleadings. It has made absolutely no difference for me. The only positive is that my experience will likely lead to a pupillage reduction but that is useless if you cannot get a pupillage.

I agree with this. I have extensive experience in commercial property and civil litigation and it hasn't made any difference. The aggravating thing is I could have been earning a lot more doing something else rather than trying to get that 'essential' legal work experience and earning the pittance they pay for paralegal work.
Reply 2945
Original post by TMBarristerNorth
I did this too - and last year as well. I'm starting to think that it's too far out of my reach and that I should change tack next year. The only problem is all of my employed roles were in the commercial sectors!

All my legal roles are in the commercial sector, and I’ve not struggled with applying to other areas (usually) this year I’ve had crime/family
5RB Rejection Out.
Original post by Bar_99

I've done two so far, one was just preparing a presentation on a legal topic and the other was an application to go ahead with a sentencing hearing in the D's absence
Original post by Jasmine455
Oh my goodness. This sounds like my worst nightmare lol. I know they say be prepared for anything but seriously?? A crime exercise for a family pupillage??
I guess that’s a rude awakening for me to mentally prep for literally anything… if you don’t mind sharing, what kind of exercise were you given?

I truly wanted to leave during the interview haha

I'm not sure if I want to go in too much detail today in case people have delayed their interviews and chambers get annoyed. Hope you understand.
FRI Call from Field Court Chambers.
Original post by PupillageSeeker4
I truly wanted to leave during the interview haha
I'm not sure if I want to go in too much detail today in case people have delayed their interviews and chambers get annoyed. Hope you understand.

That makes sense.

Good on you for getting through it though! Pretty sure I would’ve crumbled lol
Original post by Mikeross2.00
For those who had a number of FRI’s and SRI’s would you be able to share some advice? Interestingly, I’ve had only 2 FRI’s this year in comparison to last years 5… I’m wondering what I did wrong in my applications, I would be grateful if anyone can share their tips on how to make your application stand out and get that FRI seeing as that’s where most applicants fail?
Although this post-FRI rejection hurts even more!

I’ve heard back from 19 apps so far and got 12 FRIs which is massively up from my first run last year. I would say four things have made a difference:

1) structure of my answers - whether it’s a competency question, legal problem or an question that requires a list of responses I really tried to ensure my answers were set out in a visually pleasing manner. This involved using sub headings where appropriate (these were helpful during competency questions to clearly break my answer down in line with STAR structure, numbered lists, or atleast ensuring I was never giving an answer that just looked like a huge block of text. I was told by a barrister who looked over my apps that it’s really important to be able to demonstrate on a visual level you understand flow of submissions and how to structure and sign post your answer.

2) start as early as you can. I work full time so I understand this isn’t an easy ask but I started as soon as the questions went live on the Gateway in November so that I had 2 months to get all my applications polished. Being able to think about an answer for 2 months meant that I was able to finesse it and make sure my answers were well thought out and outside the box. Working on applications in any spare time I had made a huge difference in my view

3) get as many barristers as possible to read it (within reason!!). I think I only ended up having 4 or so barristers read my application but this was really useful - I just reached out to people on Twitter. A lot of them commented more so on the structure of my answers (hence why I think this is so important) but just having a sense check of my answers even at an early stage was good motivation to keep pushing through the application process and make sure I was avoiding some more cliche responses to questions.

4) don’t overlook the answers you write on the experience section of the gateway that gets sent to all sets. In the first year I rushed this section and didn’t give my answers much thought. This year I tried to provide my experience in the form of 1) what I did and 2) what I learned and tried to mention skills relevant to the career of a barrister

Not sure how helpful this all is as it’s hard to advise generally but I hope this helps somewhat! Apologies if there are any typos in this, I’m writing quickly whilst at work 🥲
Kenworthy FRI out!
Anyone heard back from 23ES (Crime, Manchester) post FRI.

TY.
Anyone have any advice on the following: I have got a virtual FRI on a Saturday morning and then an in-person FRI very soon after the first (45 mins after). The in-person one has been in place for a while and the virtual one has basically said “you can’t change your time slot”. Because I have to be in central london for the in-person, it means that the virtual one is currently set to take place in Costa. I have called the Inns and unfortunately they can’t assist. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by DOTEOT
Anyone have any advice on the following: I have got a virtual FRI on a Saturday morning and then an in-person FRI very soon after the first (45 mins after). The in-person one has been in place for a while and the virtual one has basically said “you can’t change your time slot”. Because I have to be in central london for the in-person, it means that the virtual one is currently set to take place in Costa. I have called the Inns and unfortunately they can’t assist. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Any communal office spaces you can rent like WeWork or similar?
Original post by DOTEOT

Inn library? or upstairs in Inner Temple they have rooms that will be empty
The Inns are all closed for Easter / can’t assist without me hiring a room for a whole half day! Will definitely have a look into WeWork hire. Thanks :smile:
Reply 2958
Original post by pupillage123456!
Has anyone had any experience with SRI at 7BR before? Says we’ll get an advocacy exercise 20 mins before but just wondering if it’ll be legal / non-legal? Thanks !!

Does anyone have any advice on this? 🙂
Original post by Pigglewump
Any communal office spaces you can rent like WeWork or similar?

Which Inn do you belong to? There are also empty rooms at Middle Temple (ask at the desk at the library entrance). Otherwise, the Prêt à Manger in front of the RCJ is probably a better solution than Costa seeing that they have booths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending