The Student Room Group

Academic/career profile good enough for a BPTC Scholarship from an Inn?

Just started GDL/LLM, always been interested in the Bar (but put-off recently as it's v v competitive). Ik applications for BPTC scholarships are now open, close in early Nov (would apply for Inner or Middle Temple as they interview all applicants). Thinking of applying but v keen to get a scholarship for financial reasons and might be a big boost to a CV. But wondering if I have any chance at all - written brief profile below, keen to know if it's strong enough

- High 2:1 in humanities subject from Ox (1sts in 1st and 2nd year, 4 academic awards)
- BPP Career Commitment Scholarship for GDL/LLM
- Won a law writing competition for a legal journal
- Career experience - 2 law firm vac schemes, 5+ law firm insight days (will no mini-pupillages/chambers open days ruin my chances of a scholarship?)
- Extracurriculars - wrote for/edited 4 student publications, captained 2 college sports teams, lots of leadership roles in uni societies
- Debating award at school but no mooting experience, is this likely to ruin my chances?

I know that pupillage applications for 2025 open in Jan 2024, but I won't know until March 2024 if I've received a scholarship, so this is also a dilemma. Sorry for a long post!
Reply 1
Original post by Jeck123
Just started GDL/LLM, always been interested in the Bar (but put-off recently as it's v v competitive). Ik applications for BPTC scholarships are now open, close in early Nov (would apply for Inner or Middle Temple as they interview all applicants). Thinking of applying but v keen to get a scholarship for financial reasons and might be a big boost to a CV. But wondering if I have any chance at all - written brief profile below, keen to know if it's strong enough

- High 2:1 in humanities subject from Ox (1sts in 1st and 2nd year, 4 academic awards)
- Career experience - 2 law firm vac schemes, 5+ law firm insight days (will no mini-pupillages/chambers open days ruin my chances of a scholarship?)
- Extracurriculars - wrote for/edited 4 student publications, captained 2 college sports teams, lots of leadership roles in uni societies
- Debating award at school but no mooting experience, is this likely to ruin my chances?

I know that pupillage applications for 2025 open in Jan 2024, but I won't know until March 2024 if I've received a scholarship, so this is also a dilemma. Sorry for a long post!

Academics are important at the Bar including GCSEs, AS levels, and A Levels. As you got into Oxford I assume it is safe to assume you performed highly in them. A 1st would have been optimal but a good 2.1 will suffice. Most of the other information is positive; your writing award, BPP Scholarship, extracurriculars, and debating award are all good things to include in your application.

You say that you have always been interested in the Bar yet you have not completed any mini-pupillages or attended any Chambers' open days and put that down to the competitive nature of securing pupillage. But securing a mini-pupillage or attending open days is not that difficult to arrange. By now, my guess is that you have good first-hand knowledge of the solicitors' side of the profession but no practical experience of the Bar. How do you know the Bar is for you?

An interest in the Bar is not going to cut it with a BPTC scholarship interview panel. The panel will be looking amongst other things for a commitment to the profession. In fact, it is the final criterion of the Inner Temple's application criteria:

"Motivation A very high level of commitment to a career at the Bar, together with a sound understanding of the profession and any current intended area(s) of practice. Being adaptable and flexible by being self-aware and self-directed."

You asked whether your CV would be strong enough to get you through to an interview and a scholarship offer. There is lots of good stuff but I think you yourself are aware of the deficiency in your CV. The good news is it is not too late to rectify your lack of exposure to Chambers. I am sure that both Inner Temple and Middle would be worth contacting to see if they could help arrange that. If not, there is still nothing to stop you from making your scholarship application. If successful you probably won't be interviewed until February 2024. Ample time to get some minis in the diary before your interview. If you don't get an interview this time around then apply for 2025.

If you really want to be a barrister and have the conviction to see that through, the extra year, spent wisely will make you a stronger candidate when you apply for pupillage.

Good luck.
Reply 2
Original post by Chrispy1
Academics are important at the Bar including GCSEs, AS levels, and A Levels. As you got into Oxford I assume it is safe to assume you performed highly in them. A 1st would have been optimal but a good 2.1 will suffice. Most of the other information is positive; your writing award, BPP Scholarship, extracurriculars, and debating award are all good things to include in your application.

You say that you have always been interested in the Bar yet you have not completed any mini-pupillages or attended any Chambers' open days and put that down to the competitive nature of securing pupillage. But securing a mini-pupillage or attending open days is not that difficult to arrange. By now, my guess is that you have good first-hand knowledge of the solicitors' side of the profession but no practical experience of the Bar. How do you know the Bar is for you?

An interest in the Bar is not going to cut it with a BPTC scholarship interview panel. The panel will be looking amongst other things for a commitment to the profession. In fact, it is the final criterion of the Inner Temple's application criteria:

"Motivation A very high level of commitment to a career at the Bar, together with a sound understanding of the profession and any current intended area(s) of practice. Being adaptable and flexible by being self-aware and self-directed."

You asked whether your CV would be strong enough to get you through to an interview and a scholarship offer. There is lots of good stuff but I think you yourself are aware of the deficiency in your CV. The good news is it is not too late to rectify your lack of exposure to Chambers. I am sure that both Inner Temple and Middle would be worth contacting to see if they could help arrange that. If not, there is still nothing to stop you from making your scholarship application. If successful you probably won't be interviewed until February 2024. Ample time to get some minis in the diary before your interview. If you don't get an interview this time around then apply for 2025.

If you really want to be a barrister and have the conviction to see that through, the extra year, spent wisely will make you a stronger candidate when you apply for pupillage.

Good luck.

Thank you for the reply! Appreciate the feedback, I'll try to get some extra-curricular experience related to mooting and the bar.

You seem to have good knowledge of the bar. Is it ever possible to switch to the bar after a career as a trainee/associate solicitor, i.e. does that kind of career experience help on an application for a scholarship/pupillage?
Reply 3
Original post by Jeck123
Thank you for the reply! Appreciate the feedback, I'll try to get some extra-curricular experience related to mooting and the bar.

You seem to have good knowledge of the bar. Is it ever possible to switch to the bar after a career as a trainee/associate solicitor, i.e. does that kind of career experience help on an application for a scholarship/pupillage?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the two professions and it is not uncommon. Indeed, you don’t even have to switch professions to undertake advocacy in court. By becoming a solicitor advocate you can acquire rights of audience to appear in courts alongside barristers. Alternatively you can join the Bar and practise as a Barrister. To do this you would be required to pass a Professional Transfer exam. Bit hazy on al this but I think a pupillage and the need for a scholarship would not arise.

Remember too that barristers can also work in an employed capacity in all sorts of different organisations; so how you work, where you work ,who you work with and for can be in numerous ways.
Original post by Jeck123

Hi @Jeck123!

Having secured a BPC scholarship from Gray's Inn last application round, I would say your current CV certainly looks impressive. Also, the fact you haven't done any mooting will not necessarily hold you back but it is always beneficial if you can fit some in. Remember, this isn't a Pupillage application so they aren't looking for a finished product but rather an enthusiastic individual who is dedicated to the Bar and has the potential to succeed in the career. A lot of the questions the interview panel will ask you will not necessarily be directly about legal experience but more to see how you react in certain situations and how you deal with being asked difficult things on your feet. For example, they may want to see an example of determination and are more than happy for your answer to not be law based. I think it is fine to say that you are aware of the competitiveness of the bar but I wouldn't allow any form of doubt about this career to seep through a written application or in interview as dedication to the bar is one of their key attributes.

I hope this helps a bit and good luck :smile:

Sophie
Reply 5
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Jeck123!

Having secured a BPC scholarship from Gray's Inn last application round, I would say your current CV certainly looks impressive. Also, the fact you haven't done any mooting will not necessarily hold you back but it is always beneficial if you can fit some in. Remember, this isn't a Pupillage application so they aren't looking for a finished product but rather an enthusiastic individual who is dedicated to the Bar and has the potential to succeed in the career. A lot of the questions the interview panel will ask you will not necessarily be directly about legal experience but more to see how you react in certain situations and how you deal with being asked difficult things on your feet. For example, they may want to see an example of determination and are more than happy for your answer to not be law based. I think it is fine to say that you are aware of the competitiveness of the bar but I wouldn't allow any form of doubt about this career to seep through a written application or in interview as dedication to the bar is one of their key attributes.

I hope this helps a bit and good luck :smile:

Sophie

Thank you! Appreciate the advice
Reply 6
Original post by Jeck123

This comes up fairly frequently. You can switch, but switching over at associate or trainee level will not help you - you don't have enough extra experience to skip pupillage, nor do you have the professional contacts to bring a good amount of work to chambers. Moreover, you may find for the more academic sets that 2/3 years doing solicitor work is not helpful for keeping your analytical skills sharp (but this is very vairable by practice - something like big law in the city as a trainee isn't going to stretch your analytical skills like the bar).

On topic, your CV is impressive but the lack of minis might be fatal - there is not to show that you WANT to go to the bar, or that you know what it is like. The scholarships are to help people who are going to practice, so the motivation is important so the committee know you will at least try to practice at the bar and apply for pupillages etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending