The Student Room Group

Pupillage Application 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

Original post by littlelegsldn
Sadly for the Pupillage Gateway applicants, the gateway this time around again does not appear fit for purpose.

Last year it was explained that the previous provider of the platform unexpectedly terminated their relationship with the Bar Council in Q4 of 2021 and so they had little time to get a new platform partner but did so with Tribepad in time for last years window.

Issues invariably occurred, the loss of all historic applications and applicants having to re-draft a sample application form and make new accounts. These problems were hugely frustrating but at least they were understandable, particular as there were promises that all the issues would be sorted out over the year in time for the 2024 Gateway window.

To recap when last year’s window opened previous functionalities had been lost and some that were there did not seem to work, such as the watchlist/bookmark function was effectively pointless but these have it appears been fixed this time around so credit where credit is due.

The filtering by practice areas, whilst not perfect can be mostly overcome through the keyword search but filtering for those advertising on or off the gateway still does not appear possible again this year, or by the number of pupillages offered. All these functions had been available in the older version and the missing functions had been pointed out to The Bar Council last year.

This year whilst some aspects have improved these appear to be outweighed by changes applied to the gateway this year without explanation as to why they were or are required.

The User guide explains that “You can edit any information in the profile builder section but note that doing so will not only update your ‘Profile’ on the Pupillage Gateway, but also any current applications that are either outstanding or submitted.”

The problem with this aspect is it removes the bespoke nature of applications. If for example I wish to apply to a common law set, they do not need to see, and I may not wish to show, any mini pupillages done in other types of chambers. In fact it is widely suggested that one only add a handful of mini pupillages completed that are relevant to the chambers practice areas.

Unfortunately though, it seems if I include those that are only relevant to that chambers and complete another application whereby, I include different mini pupillages completed, then the way the gateway is set up is to change the mini pupillages that I had included in the original Chambers application whether or not I have already submitted that application. This is nonsensical, Particularly as I cannot withdraw or amend that submitted application myself. I have no way of knowing what version has been provided to Chambers.

As stated, the ability to withdraw and resubmit applications has also been lost and whilst it was not possible to be added last year, I was informed that the bar Council had asked for that function to be included in the roadmap for this window yet it is again not available.

How can it be right that I have submitted a detailed application only for that to be changed and for me not be able to know exactly what has been seen by the advertising chambers. This is surely discriminatory towards any applicant submitting more than one application.

The Bar Council have previously stated that they were confident that the site would continue to meet the strategic aims of improving inclusion and diversity at the Bar through the facilitation of transparent, inclusive, and progressive application processes but this seems to not be so. Instead the functionality of the gateway is limiting and frustrating and rather than saving time by re-populating data across applications it is time consuming and does not allow an applicant to choose how to formulate their answers to highlight their unique selling points to a specific chambers. This is not inclusive to prevent an applicant from having full knowledge of the process particularly when the data they have directly provided to that chambers can inadvertently be changed by an application made to another chamber.

As if that was not bad enough it gets worse!

You would think that section 3 for ‘Further Education History, Scholarships, Awards, and Prizes’ was quite an important one, The Bar Council do not appear to think so.

This year for Step 3, questions 1 and 2 relate to whether any waiver was applied for the vocational component, with the answer allowing for 200 words for further details. However, question 4 relates to 'Scholarship, Awards and Prizes' and this has been reduced from 200 words to only 100 words this year without rhyme or reason.

Why would this section be limited that an applicant may not even be able to fit just the names of any scholarships, awards and prizes that they have achieved? Particularly when the Guidelines next to it states for applicants to “Please provide details of any scholarships, awards, or prizes that you have obtained, alongside the name of the awarding body and the date obtained. For example: ‘Advocacy Scholarship, BPP University (2021)’ or ‘GDL Exhibition Award, Inner Temple (2019/20)’ or ‘Winner, Landmark Chambers Property Moot Competition (2021)’.”

The same argument applies for question 7 and 8 of Step 3, positions of responsibility and interest and recreational activities, again with guidelines asking for specific information but each again limited to 100 words.

If specific questions are asked then at the very minimum, when requesting specific information, allow enough word count so an applicant is given enough room for that information to be added.

Changes needed to be made urgently. before this window closes so that at the very least, once an application is submitted it must be locked against changes made in subsequent applications from taking effect in the earlier submitted and distinctly separate application.

Gaining pupillage is hard enough, why does the Bar Council seem bent on making it even a harder and less fair process!

Yes, I've noticed this. You can no longer tailor your work experience to individual chambers as it changes the form. I have already submitted one application and made a change to my work experience. I looked back at my submitted application and the change was there, so I had to switch back. Really disappointing. Also, still unable to see the 'skills' section that caused issues last year so I'm hoping that won't be detrimental to my applications, AGAIN.
I am applying to Chancery & Commercial sets. I have just completed the GDL. Does anyone know which topics I should learn for the problem questions?
Original post by civilservice4pd
I am applying to Chancery & Commercial sets. I have just completed the GDL. Does anyone know which topics I should learn for the problem questions?

Problem questions in interview? If so there's too wide a range of options to effectively revise. You cannot 'revise' for an interview in the same way as an exam, and interviews are not assessed in the same way as exams. Most problem questions set for pupillage interviews give you all in the information that you need to undertake them, and don't require prior knowledge. Some sets design questions on obscure areas or points of law precisely to reduce the chance that any candidate has prior knowledge of them, which helps to even the playing field. Even if you do come across something you could have revised, as I say, the range of options are too numerous. Instead I would prepare in different ways. Review notable legal issues or stories from the last year or two. Practice talking about and coming up with points for and against various positions on those issues; even if you don't talk about those issues, getting into that mindset will help in interview. Perhaps review some competency based questions, and look up common pupillage interview questions practise answering them. Questions like 'which law would you change and why?' and similar do come up quite regularly, and again, practising answering them and questions like them will help.
Reply 23
Just under two weeks, how is everyone getting on?
Has anyone noticed that the "guidance" given next to the questions (when you go to submit) seem to contradict what the question? Have seen it for a few sets...Wondering if it is something automated
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Problem questions in interview? If so there's too wide a range of options to effectively revise. You cannot 'revise' for an interview in the same way as an exam, and interviews are not assessed in the same way as exams. Most problem questions set for pupillage interviews give you all in the information that you need to undertake them, and don't require prior knowledge. Some sets design questions on obscure areas or points of law precisely to reduce the chance that any candidate has prior knowledge of them, which helps to even the playing field. Even if you do come across something you could have revised, as I say, the range of options are too numerous. Instead I would prepare in different ways. Review notable legal issues or stories from the last year or two. Practice talking about and coming up with points for and against various positions on those issues; even if you don't talk about those issues, getting into that mindset will help in interview. Perhaps review some competency based questions, and look up common pupillage interview questions practise answering them. Questions like 'which law would you change and why?' and similar do come up quite regularly, and again, practising answering them and questions like them will help.

Ok, thank you. I did receive some advice to be familiar with principles of contract/tort etc...
Ok, thank you. I did receive some advice to be familiar with principles of contract/tort etc...

Revising the very basics can't harm. But then as someone who has recently completed the GDL it presumably wasn't long ago that you took exams in those subjects, and I can't imagine you've forgotten all of it. But it is important to remember that pupillage interviews are not exams, and you cannot revise for them like exams. Getting out of the academia mindset that there must be a definitive right answer to every question is important for pupillage applications generally. Even if strict legal knowledge is tested in a pupillage interview, which it very often isn't, it's not going to be the most important characteristic that the panel are looking for by some distance.
Has anyone noticed that the "guidance" given next to the questions (when you go to submit) seem to contradict what the question? Have seen it for a few sets...Wondering if it is something automated

Yes! I’m really stumped as to what question I’m supposed to answer in some cases. I’ve emailed chambers but haven’t heard back yet.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Revising the very basics can't harm. But then as someone who has recently completed the GDL it presumably wasn't long ago that you took exams in those subjects, and I can't imagine you've forgotten all of it. But it is important to remember that pupillage interviews are not exams, and you cannot revise for them like exams. Getting out of the academia mindset that there must be a definitive right answer to every question is important for pupillage applications generally. Even if strict legal knowledge is tested in a pupillage interview, which it very often isn't, it's not going to be the most important characteristic that the panel are looking for by some distance.

Unrelated to this post, but I was wondering where you would expect to see publications on the application form. Are they okay to go under 'Scholarships and Awards'?
Original post by CJStevens
Unrelated to this post, but I was wondering where you would expect to see publications on the application form. Are they okay to go under 'Scholarships and Awards'?

They'd be fine there.
do chambers usually interview in february? i am hoping to travel home and worried about finding out about an in person interview 2-3 days before
Reply 31
Original post by aspiringb123
do chambers usually interview in february? i am hoping to travel home and worried about finding out about an in person interview 2-3 days before

In my experience it would be very rare to have a Feb interview
Yes, February interviews are unusual. Most sets don't sift quick enough to arrange interviews for February. There are some who do sift quickly and may arrange interviews for February, but they are a small minority.
Hi All,

I am applying for pupillage with the CPS and have noticed that the application does not ask any questions like why do you want to be a barrister / why the CPS / What skills do you have etc etc. I imagine this is the same for everyone but just wanted to check on on the off chance it's just me and I should be contacting them regarding this? Just seems odd not have any questions.

Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,
Original post by FloraRoss!
Hi All,

I am applying for pupillage with the CPS and have noticed that the application does not ask any questions like why do you want to be a barrister / why the CPS / What skills do you have etc etc. I imagine this is the same for everyone but just wanted to check on on the off chance it's just me and I should be contacting them regarding this? Just seems odd not have any questions.

Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks,

Hey!

That’s fine. I think those questions will come up at the video interview if successful :smile:
Does anyone have any information about the pendragon pupillage vacancy? Because the vacancy states that we have until the 7th of February 2024 to apply but now it states the job deadline has passed.
Are people adding their A Levels on the pupillage gateway or undergraduate / postgraduate / professional education only?
Original post by FloraRoss!
Are people adding their A Levels on the pupillage gateway or undergraduate / postgraduate / professional education only?

You should add A-Levels.
Hi all, one of my applications asks whether I have anything further I would like to add, supplementing my other answers. There is one brief thing that I want to mention (50 words max.), but the question requires a minimum of 250 words.

Is there any way around this or any suggestions?
Original post by CJStevens
Hi all, one of my applications asks whether I have anything further I would like to add, supplementing my other answers. There is one brief thing that I want to mention (50 words max.), but the question requires a minimum of 250 words.

Is there any way around this or any suggestions?

It's very unusual for an answer to be a minimum of 250 words. I expect that's probably a typo. I'd just write the shorter answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending