The Student Room Group

Pupillage Application 2023-2024

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure how many other people saw the long post here earlier, supposedly from a barrister who was Head of Chambers at their set. The post was offering help to pupillage applicants, which of course is always welcome from those within the profession, but there were a handful of things about it that didn't add up to me. The author apparently took twelve years to find pupillage, but mentioned that they'd been helped in their search by this forum. This forum has been around for quite a long time, but that timeline feels off for someone who is now Head of Chambers, albeit at a new set of ten barristers. And whilst I'm not suggesting that all barristers would or should write posts on this forum in the same manner that they write in their professional lives, the writing itself felt to me like it came from someone much younger than an established barrister, let alone one who was apparently so senior. With the timescales they had quoted the author must have been 45-50 years old at an absolute minimum, and to me it had the style of someone a lot younger than that.

The post has now been deleted, so I don't know if the author will post here again. If they do perhaps they can explain those discrepancies, though there is of course no onus on them to do so, and I'm grateful that they were complimentary of the advice that I give. It's an unusual situation, because I can't immediately think of a reason why someone would claim to be a senior practitioner offering help to others when they're not, but perhaps just a note for those applying for pupillage and using this thread to reflect on whether the advice they are being given is actually best for them. I was part of a panel of barristers recently giving advice on pupillage, and one of the other barristers advised those applying for pupillage to take some time away from their friendships groups who are also applying for pupillage, not just because it can be very easy to become very stressed when you're around others in the same position, but because it is easy for 'advice' to do the rounds in those groups that actually isn't very good at all. I do remember the bar course in particular being a hotbed for that sort of situation, and applicants should bear in mind that, as well meaning as they undoubtedly are, a lot of people will give advice that isn't particularly good, or isn't applicable to the people they're giving it to. I've seen poor advice given by applicants, those who have just obtained pupillage and practising barristers, and indeed I do highlight regularly that I obviously don't have experience of all sets, so my advice isn't going to be universally applicable by any stretch. Just something for those frequenting this thread to keep in mind.
I've just downloaded a copy of my profile from the gateway and have seen details for references on there from my now previous employer. However I can't see anywhere on the profile sections to update this - there doesn't even seem to be a references section. Has anyone else had this issue and does anyone know how I can correct this?
Reply 42
Is there any indication of what Chambers are looking for when they ask "is there anything else you would like to add?" There are places for mitigating circumstances on the form, and I don't want to embark on another structured answer if that is not their desire. Any thoughts?
Original post by Josher04
Is there any indication of what Chambers are looking for when they ask "is there anything else you would like to add?" There are places for mitigating circumstances on the form, and I don't want to embark on another structured answer if that is not their desire. Any thoughts?

Chambers aren't looking for anything with that question. They are literally asking if there's anything else you would like to add, in case there's something else that's relevant to your application that, for whatever reason, isn't somewhere else on the form. If there isn't, don't put anything.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
It's very unusual for an answer to be a minimum of 250 words. I expect that's probably a typo. I'd just write the shorter answer.

Annoyingly this isn't an option as they have set the minimum on the portal. Whenever I try to submit less than 250 words, I am prevented from doing so and a red notice pops up... super annoying
Original post by CJStevens
Annoyingly this isn't an option as they have set the minimum on the portal. Whenever I try to submit less than 250 words, I am prevented from doing so and a red notice pops up... super annoying

I still expect it's probably an error. We set word limits because we get a lot of applications and just don't have time to sift them if people are writing War and Peace in response to questions. Asking whether or not you have anything to add is by default a question where there may be no answer at all, or it may be very short. Setting a 250 word minimum for that simply doesn't make sense. I'd either find a way to put what you want to write in another section, or write another paragraph perhaps expanding on particularly relevant experience that you have, or summarising why you think you'd be a good candidate for pupillage, but start it by noting that there is a 250 word minimum on the answer, and you don't have anything to add but given the minimum you thought you'd summarise why you think you're a good candidate for Chambers, or whatever you decide to do.
Reply 46
I don't know enough grammar pedants, so am hoping I might be able to find one here who could help me out! When answering questions about the practice areas I am interested in, is a practice area a proper noun, so requires a capital e.g. Family Law or family law; Chancery or chancery? Some chambers use capitals on their website, some don't. Thank you
PS Good luck to everyone with the final push to get applications submitted
(edited 2 months ago)
Original post by Elwall
I don't know enough grammar pedants, so am hoping I might be able to find one here who could help me out! When answering questions about the practice areas I am interested in, is a practice area a proper noun, so requires a capital e.g. Family Law or family law; Chancery or chancery? Some chambers use capitals on their website, some don't. Thank you
PS Good luck to everyone with the final push to get applications submitted

It doesn't matter. Can't say it's ever occurred to me that there's a right way to do it. I'm sure I mix them up too.
Reply 48
It doesn't matter. Can't say it's ever occurred to me that there's a right way to do it. I'm sure I mix them up too.

Phew! The ULaw careers service managed to make it sound like every barrister is a grammar expert actively searching for errors; good to know they overplayed this
Original post by Elwall
Phew! The ULaw careers service managed to make it sound like every barrister is a grammar expert actively searching for errors; good to know they overplayed this

The general advice to carefully check your application is sound, because obvious spelling and grammatical errors do stand out. Not so much the more obscure ones.
Reply 50
I submitted an application to a non-gateway set by email on 1st Feb. The form says ‘You will receive an acknowledgement from us as to safe receipt but please note that as this
is not an automatic action there may be a delay’. I’ve still not had any confirmation of receipt; email is definitely in my sent items and I’ve checked I used the correct email address. Would you be chasing this to check it’s been received? I don’t want to pester people when they’ve said there might be a delay but equally, I’m running out of time to resend it before the deadline if they’ve not got it!
Reply 51
Does anyone know when we find out if we have been offered an interview/ rejected? If so, how? Will the gateway send us an email or the chambers themselves? Thank you!
Reply 52
Original post by mialaura
Does anyone know when we find out if we have been offered an interview/ rejected? If so, how? Will the gateway send us an email or the chambers themselves? Thank you!

I believe the dates for offering interviews vary between sets. I know most will inform candidates that they’ve not been successful in getting through the paper sift but I seem to recall some posts on twitter last year where people had been rejected by silence.
I have just submitted the last of my applications in my first round of applying... I can't believe how bloody gruelling that turned out to be - I only did 9 applications!!!

I suppose the benefit is that if I do have to apply again, I now have a bank of answers to work with 🙂

Gl to everyone with apps still left to submit!
Original post by Elwall
I submitted an application to a non-gateway set by email on 1st Feb. The form says ‘You will receive an acknowledgement from us as to safe receipt but please note that as this
is not an automatic action there may be a delay’. I’ve still not had any confirmation of receipt; email is definitely in my sent items and I’ve checked I used the correct email address. Would you be chasing this to check it’s been received? I don’t want to pester people when they’ve said there might be a delay but equally, I’m running out of time to resend it before the deadline if they’ve not got it!

Seems perfectly reasonable to me to chase it to make sure they've received it.

There's no set date to notify candidates of interviews. The only set date in this process after applications closing is the date that offers are made. Every set will handle the process differently, which means that there will be a big variation between sets. That includes not only the date on which you'll be notified, but also whether that's through the Gateway or a separate email. The majority of sets will let you know either way and will notify you through the Gateway at the very least. Unfortunately, some do not notify unsuccessful candidates at all. Which is poor practice, but every year there are some sets who reject by silence.
Reply 55
Are there any useful podcasts/apps/websites/ANYTHING for news in relation to commercial/chancery sets? Thank you!
Are there any useful podcasts/apps/websites/ANYTHING for news in relation to commercial/chancery sets? Thank you!

Not that I'm aware of for the sets themselves, but for 'commercial awareness', in both an actual and legal sense, there are a whole host of options. I'm a little surprised that you've looked and found absolutely nothing of relevance, but then that perhaps depends on the specifics of your search. What are you actually looking for? Current awareness? Legal updates? Something to do with pupillage at those sets in particular?
Reply 57
Not that I'm aware of for the sets themselves, but for 'commercial awareness', in both an actual and legal sense, there are a whole host of options. I'm a little surprised that you've looked and found absolutely nothing of relevance, but then that perhaps depends on the specifics of your search. What are you actually looking for? Current awareness? Legal updates? Something to do with pupillage at those sets in particular?

Currently I listen to Law in Action and am signed up to ZipLaw.
However, I would really like to expand this.
I’m looking for legal updates as well as current awareness
Congratulations all, I hope everything has gone smoothly and that our hard work pays off.

Now to enjoy a short period of rest before the nervous email refreshing starts in earnest!
Currently I listen to Law in Action and am signed up to ZipLaw.
However, I would really like to expand this.
I’m looking for legal updates as well as current awareness

Law in Action is the best individual resource in my view. Great way to keep up with what the current legal issues are. There is a lot more out there though.

https://twitter.com/JJenkinsSJB/status/1583464237275303939

Have a look at this Twitter thread. There's also a page on Pupillage and How To Get It that has a long list of resources.
(edited 2 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending