The Student Room Group

the death of youth culture & the teenager

not a new discussion, i know

but if there are any of you out there who get really bugged by this, please let's talk!

the teenager is an ever-changing concept, but lately it's been disappearing. i want to have people to go out with and i want to make memories. i like cameras but i have no one to film because no one goes out, like, ever.

what's your teenage experience? do you find it annoying the way that friend groups feel looser and looser and that there is kind of nothing we can do?
Reply 1
It is nearly 20 years since I was a teenager. I notice the young ones now don't really do what we did. even the alternative scene is much flatter, they aren't in bars seeing bands, they aren't at the courts with skateboards, they aren't o the parks skating and boozing. In some ways good for them, but in other, how dull.
Reply 2
@gjd800 you know what? we don't do anything, it's true. i appreciate that the outside world is dangerous. i mean, there are stabbings just down the road all the time and sadly, such is life. but still, why does that mean we have to be confined to our homes? we could get together and hide from society's horrors or something. i do dream of a day where i'd get to go out and revel in the cultures and scenes around me but, in all honesty, i don't even know what they are anymore. everything cultural is so fluid nowadays which, yes, can be good, but also makes it difficult for an area to develop any character. it's a shame, i guess.
Reply 3
Original post by bibarub
@gjd800 you know what? we don't do anything, it's true. i appreciate that the outside world is dangerous. i mean, there are stabbings just down the road all the time and sadly, such is life. but still, why does that mean we have to be confined to our homes? we could get together and hide from society's horrors or something. i do dream of a day where i'd get to go out and revel in the cultures and scenes around me but, in all honesty, i don't even know what they are anymore. everything cultural is so fluid nowadays which, yes, can be good, but also makes it difficult for an area to develop any character. it's a shame, i guess.

In some ways it's more pronounced now but I was routinely threatened with knives in my teenage years and we were always in fights with the local scallies and the local travellers, it's not new buy it is more pronounced, especially in cities. A shame.

Quick Reply

Latest