The Student Room Group

entry requirements

how often do unis actually accept people with the minimum entry requirements :/
Most of the time and often below. There are 1/2 dozen or so top universities that wont but nearly everywhere else will provided you have the grades in the necessary subjects. For instance if they ask for Maths and you dont have it you will be rejected.
Reply 2
Depends vastly on subject and type of Uni.

Places like LSE, KCL, UCL etc get swamped with applications for subjects like Economics, not because they are 'better' courses but because of the supposed glamour of being in London. They cannot make an offer to everyone who 'meets' and this means that they will reject folk who do actually meet the A level entry requirements but have been weeded out because of overall GCSE profile, PS etc.

Every top Uni will have its 'mega competitive courses' - it'll be different for each one. But even top Unis will have 'cinderella' courses that are hard to fill where they essentially make an offer to anyone who is even remotely close to the entry requirements.

This is why its always recommended that for 'mega competitive' courses/Unis that you only have one or two of those as a 'risky' choice, even if you do meet or exceed the entry requirements, and that you have other less competitive choices alongside where you have far more chance of actually getting an offer - typically 'out of London' or 'further North'.

Obviously there are plenty of Unis and courses that are not this competitive - the majority in fact - and for these, usually if your predicted grades meet the entry requirements you will get an offer. So, with one 'risky' choice, three 'meet my grades' choices, and one 'below my grades' choice, you have a good chance of getting 3 or 4 achievable offers.

Hope that helps. Ask more specific questions about your situation of you need to.
Original post by McGinger
Depends vastly on subject and type of Uni.

Places like LSE, KCL, UCL etc get swamped with applications for subjects like Economics, not because they are 'better' courses but because of the supposed glamour of being in London. They cannot make an offer to everyone who 'meets' and this means that they will reject folk who do actually meet the A level entry requirements but have been weeded out because of overall GCSE profile, PS etc.

Every top Uni will have its 'mega competitive courses' - it'll be different for each one. But even top Unis will have 'cinderella' courses that are hard to fill where they essentially make an offer to anyone who is even remotely close to the entry requirements.

This is why its always recommended that for 'mega competitive' courses/Unis that you only have one or two of those as a 'risky' choice, even if you do meet or exceed the entry requirements, and that you have other less competitive choices alongside where you have far more chance of actually getting an offer - typically 'out of London' or 'further North'.

Obviously there are plenty of Unis and courses that are not this competitive - the majority in fact - and for these, usually if your predicted grades meet the entry requirements you will get an offer. So, with one 'risky' choice, three 'meet my grades' choices, and one 'below my grades' choice, you have a good chance of getting 3 or 4 achievable offers.

Hope that helps. Ask more specific questions about your situation of you need to.

Thanks so much, mine would (I’m pretty sure) count as a competitive course as it’s Law at glasgow - I’ve met the minimum entry requirements from 5th year to be considered for an 6th year offer - but there’s also 6th entry requirements which i’m on track to meet comfortably, so I was just wondering the likelihood of them accepting me, thanks once again.
Reply 4
Original post by fefhghjhbdsxcc
Thanks so much, mine would (I’m pretty sure) count as a competitive course as it’s Law at glasgow - I’ve met the minimum entry requirements from 5th year to be considered for an 6th year offer - but there’s also 6th entry requirements which i’m on track to meet comfortably, so I was just wondering the likelihood of them accepting me, thanks once again.

Best to ask a specific question on the Glasgow Uni forum for that something as 'Uni specific' as this - or email the Uni itself.

The problem is Scottish universities are very different to English and Welsh ones. Because of the no fees they have caps to limit numbers so really any advice you get here might not apply there. Contact the university as already advised.
Reply 6
how often do unis actually accept people with the minimum entry requirements :/

my uni took people who didn't meet the entry requirements and the uni and course is pretty good
I think they do this to fill up spaces as the uni wants money but mostly depends

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending