The Student Room Group

Ucas questions

1. What is the difference between contextual offer and minimum entry requirements.

2. If I apply to a university with the required predicted grades, and then get an offer from the university, If I get my actual grades and they meet the minimum entry requirement will I get a place at the uni?

Two questions are kinda linked.
Original post by GarytheBeast
1. What is the difference between contextual offer and minimum entry requirements.

2. If I apply to a university with the required predicted grades, and then get an offer from the university, If I get my actual grades and they meet the minimum entry requirement will I get a place at the uni?

Two questions are kinda linked.

Contextual offers are lower offers given to disadvantaged groups in order to increase the numbers studying at university in those social economic groups. They tend to be 2 grades lower than the entry requirement for the majority of students. The rules for contextual rules differ from university to university but generally require students to have been in care of the local authority, been in an under performing school ie whose A levels results have been in the bottom 40% the previous year or live in a post code where fewer students have attended university.

Minimum entry requirements are the minimum required to enter that university. Generally these are used in Scotland. Most universities in Wales and England tend to show as entry requirements. Often you will be required to get higher grades than a minimum entry requirement.

To get guaranteed entry to a university you need to meet the offer made not the minimum entry requirement. Universities do sometimes accept grades below the offer made but that is at a universities discretion.
1. Contextual offers are offers with lower entry requirements than the standard entry requirements. Contextual offers are given to people based on certain criteria which means that they're less likely to achieve the standard entry requirements.

2. Yes... if you've accepted that offer. You can put one offer as your "firm" and a second offer as your "insurance". If you get the grades for your firm choice, you get the place at the uni, if you don't, then your insurance choice accepts you if you meet their entry requirements. If you had to decline the offer (because you can only accept two), then you don't have a place at the uni.
Reply 3
Original post by Scotland Yard
1. Contextual offers are offers with lower entry requirements than the standard entry requirements. Contextual offers are given to people based on certain criteria which means that they're less likely to achieve the standard entry requirements.

2. Yes... if you've accepted that offer. You can put one offer as your "firm" and a second offer as your "insurance". If you get the grades for your firm choice, you get the place at the uni, if you don't, then your insurance choice accepts you if you meet their entry requirements. If you had to decline the offer (because you can only accept two), then you don't have a place at the uni.

Are you saying that as long as I put a Uni as my firm choice and accept the offer, If I get the minimum required grades I will get my place?

E.g. University Course Entry Requirements: AAB - ABB

Grades Received: ABBC
Are you saying that as long as I put a Uni as my firm choice and accept the offer, If I get the minimum required grades I will get my place?

It depends on whether the grades specified in your offer are the same as the minimum entry requirements, or are higher. In several unis the standard offer is higher than the minimum entry requirements, as these are the lowest threshold at which they’ll consider your application, and potentially make you an offer. If the minimum entry requirements are ABB, and you get a conditional offer of ABB, then if you get ABB you have a place. However, if you get a conditional offer of AAA, or AAB, then if you get ABB you have probably missed out on your place.
Reply 5
Original post by squiddy135
It depends on whether the grades specified in your offer are the same as the minimum entry requirements, or are higher. In several unis the standard offer is higher than the minimum entry requirements, as these are the lowest threshold at which they’ll consider your application, and potentially make you an offer. If the minimum entry requirements are ABB, and you get a conditional offer of ABB, then if you get ABB you have a place. However, if you get a conditional offer of AAA, or AAB, then if you get ABB you have probably missed out on your place.

So the minimum requirements for the Alevel on the website doesn’t matter? The only thing that matters is meeting the contextual offer they give to you? And you will only get the minimum requirements offered to you if you meet those certain criteria?

Ah. When it says the requirements are AAB-ABB, when you get an offer they'll specify which of these applies to you. And as long as you meet that for your firm choice, you're in.
Reply 7
So the minimum requirements for the Alevel on the website doesn’t matter? The only thing that matters is meeting the contextual offer they give to you? And you will only get the minimum requirements offered to you if you meet those certain criteria?

Also what happens if you already have one do the grades(I’m resitting one of my Alevels this year) e.g I already have grades A(maths) c(further Maths) B(Computer Science) and I only needed the physics grade. Would my offer be different?

It depends on the university but the grades on the website absolutely do matter, as you can find out from them what the offer you’d get would likely be.
Whether you get an offer of the minimum requirements depends on the criteria of the university, for some you might not have to meet any contextual criteria, for others you would, and it would be listed on the website.
Once you have a conditional offer (this is an offer that says you need to achieve certain grades, and is what you get if you haven’t yet sat A levels) then the only grades that matter are the ones specified in the offer, whether they’re higher or lower than the typical grades on the website.
Also what happens if you already have one do the grades(I’m resitting one of my Alevels this year) e.g I already have grades A(maths) c(further Maths) B(Computer Science) and I only needed the physics grade. Would my offer be different?

Potentially, but again it depends on the individual university’s requirements i.e. if you need a higher grade in physics than you achieved, it would be conditional on achieving that, but wouldn’t have any other conditions as your other grades are all achieved.
You might need to check the university policy on resits as some specify that grades must be achieved in one exam sitting, certainly not all unis do (I think most don’t) but it’s good to be sure.
You have to meet ALL conditions a university gives you. The minimum entry or contextual grades dont matter once you receive an offer. Minimum entry grades are a bit misleading. For some universities you have to far exceed these to get an offer.

If a university offers you AAA including an A in Physics that is what you have to achieve. It doesnt atter if the minimum grades on the website says BBB with grade B in Physics. If you get AAB or lower that it is for the university to decide whether they accept you. You are only guaranteed entry if you meet the offer in FULL.
Reply 11
Original post by squiddy135
Potentially, but again it depends on the individual university’s requirements i.e. if you need a higher grade in physics than you achieved, it would be conditional on achieving that, but wouldn’t have any other conditions as your other grades are all achieved.
You might need to check the university policy on resits as some specify that grades must be achieved in one exam sitting, certainly not all unis do (I think most don’t) but it’s good to be sure.

So I have looked on here and it doesn’t say anything about resits

A-level standard entry requirements

AAB BBB

Additional requirements: A-level Mathematics and Physics.

If I apply with obtained grades C=Further Maths A= Maths C= computer Science =C

And predicted grade of A in physics are they likely to ask for an A or a B in the subject of Physics when giving me my contextual offer? considering that the standard entry requirements are AAB - BBB
Reply 12

AAB BBB

And predicted grade of A in physics are they likely to ask for an A or a B in the subject of Physics when giving me my contextual offer? considering that the standard entry requirements are AAB - BBB

Sorry for being a pain it’s just I can’t call unis or UCAS as their lines are closed atm.

AAB BBB

Unfortunately you can’t know what they’d ask for as it depends on whether you’re eligible for contextual offers, what their standard contextual offer is and what the level of competition is (if this is higher they might give higher offers).
You know that a contextual is only if you meet certain contextual criteria and isn’t just the same as a conditional offer?
My best guess is it would be an A they’d want as, since it seems you currently have ACC, you definitely don’t fit the entry criteria at the moment but you have a chance if you’re predicted an A in your physics resit.
Reply 14
Sorry I meant to say conditional offer in that last post not contextual. But even if I get an A in my Physics resit I will have AACC which still doesn’t match the requirements.
Sorry I meant to say conditional offer in that last post not contextual. But even if I get an A in my Physics resit I will have AACC which still doesn’t match the requirements.

Oh that makes sense.
You won’t quite meet the requirements but it might be reasonable to apply if either:
i. You have other choices for which you definite do meet or exceed the requirements, so this is an aspirational choice.
ii. You check with the university (once they’re open after Christmas) whether they would accept equivalent combinations e.g. AACC instead of ABB.

Especially since 3 of your 4 grades are achieved, there is a high chance you won’t get an offer, but if you really like the course then that’s not necessarily a reason not to apply, as long you have safe options as well.
Reply 16
So would basically be asking them would they consider to Cs in relevant subjects one B and give me an Offer?

Is this likely though?
(edited 4 months ago)

Nobody can tell you what will happen. If you dont meet the offer in FULL you are at the university's discretion. It will depend on how many have met their grades and whether the university has filled its spaces. Generally if a university has a subject requirement and you dont meet it then you will get rejected. The reason they ask for a subject requirement is they deem it necessary for you to complete the course. Many universities have some flexibility over dropped grades but nobody can tell you whether you will get accepted or not. The only way you are guaranteed acceptance is meeting any offer conditions in FULL. It is no use you trying to get others to try and tell you what you want to hear. This is fact. If you meet all conditions you are in. If you dont you are at the university's discretion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending