The Student Room Group

Too old for computer science?

Hi all,

I'm looking to apply for the fully online computer science Msc at York/Liverpool, maybe Bath (but that's unlikely),

I'm 26 years old, Bsc. Optometry 1st, Fully qualified Optometrist, A Levels; A* Physics, A* Biology, A Chemistry, really interested in computer science seeing the impact new technology is going to have in my current job, career wise I'd love to get into software development or even AI!

My question is if I completed an MSc, realistically am I going to be too old at 29 to even get a job in the field?
Hi @Øcutech

It is great to hear that you are thinking of coming back to higher education!

It is completely normal for individuals who have worked to come back and complete their Masters so you are likely to find others of a similar age to you on your course. Particularly in Computer Science as technology is taking over!

No age is too old to start working in a particular field. There are laws that protect characteristics such as age when it comes to applying for jobs. I really wouldn't worry about your age affecting your chances of finding employment, if anything your wealth of experience is only going to support you when applying for work🙂

I wish you all the best!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.
Reply 2
Original post by BCU Student Rep
Hi @Øcutech

It is great to hear that you are thinking of coming back to higher education!

It is completely normal for individuals who have worked to come back and complete their Masters so you are likely to find others of a similar age to you on your course. Particularly in Computer Science as technology is taking over!

No age is too old to start working in a particular field. There are laws that protect characteristics such as age when it comes to applying for jobs. I really wouldn't worry about your age affecting your chances of finding employment, if anything your wealth of experience is only going to support you when applying for work🙂

I wish you all the best!

Anastasia,
BCU Student Rep.

Thank you so much for that reassurance! Definitely will look further into it
Reply 3
Come on man 26 is very young you have 40 work years in front of you. Nothing is too start some people start their career at their 50's.
Reply 4
Original post by cvgk
Come on man 26 is very young you have 40 work years in front of you. Nothing is too start some people start their career at their 50's.

Thank you, you're totally right!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending