The Student Room Group

Is a level comp sci worth it if I never took it before?

I am taking maths, Econ and physics, but I never took Econ at igcse. For a few places, I need 4 AS levels. Is taking comp sci a bad decision since I also didn't take it at igcse?
Reply 1
computer science a level assumes you haven't taken the gcse subject so the content builds up from the basics. there's a reason sixth forms don't require you to do it for gcse in order to take the a-level subject, so don't worry about it! plus gcse computer science doesn't have that much content so you're not starting with a massive disadvantage. you might want to learn the basics of programming ahead of starting computer science a-level as it will help you but ultimately it's going to be taught from scratch.
Reply 2
Are you asking about A level comp sci - or economics?

And what do you mean by " For a few places, I need 4 AS levels." - do you mean Universities?
Reply 3
I’m asking about A level comp sci - I mentioned Econ so people know it’s also a new subject for me since taking two new subjects might be too much. Also, yes some universities in Europe need four AS levels and A levels and if I go to Canada I can take four AS in year 12 and go straight to uni.
Reply 4
Original post by melamine
if I go to Canada I can take four AS in year 12 and go straight to uni.

Do your family have lots of money to pay overseas fees and living costs?
Original post by McGinger
Do your family have lots of money to pay overseas fees and living costs?

WOW !! Is that a real question? It might not be so obvious to you but some people can afford it.
Reply 6
Original post by ThiagoBrigido
but some people can afford it.

And many 17 year olds assume that either all education is free - or that Student Loans cover overseas degrees.
Reply 7
Original post by McGinger
And many 17 year olds assume that either all education is free - or that Student Loans cover overseas degrees.

Some universities in Europe are priced amazingly for international students, and I’m lucky enough to have my parents offer to pay overseas fees whether I go to the UK , Canada or Europe (we live in the Middle East and I’m taking IAS and IAL)

Quick Reply

Latest