The Student Room Group

Transferring to CS from Maths with Integrated foundation year

Hello Everyone,

Sadly, I didn't get into 2nd year math on the second attempt. But my tutor told me I could transfer, so I have decided to transfer to CS. I am asking if it's possible to do so. I don't want to do the foundation year again, and I have decent Python knowledge that I can brush up on. But I would like to know if it is possible to do so.

Also, I would like to ask, How is the course? I know some of my friends do it, but I haven't asked them how it is yet.

And am I 21 too old to get into 1st year or foundation year if I have to go there? I hope to go straight to first year

Thank you for reading.

Foluso
Original post by Folls
Hello Everyone,

Sadly, I didn't get into 2nd year math on the second attempt. But my tutor told me I could transfer, so I have decided to transfer to CS. I am asking if it's possible to do so. I don't want to do the foundation year again, and I have decent Python knowledge that I can brush up on. But I would like to know if it is possible to do so.

Also, I would like to ask, How is the course? I know some of my friends do it, but I haven't asked them how it is yet.

And am I 21 too old to get into 1st year or foundation year if I have to go there? I hope to go straight to first year

Thank you for reading.

Foluso

To summarise, you want to transfer to Computer Science at the same university you're currently at? Which university is that? (They all have different rules.) Do your A levels (or equivalent) meet the entry requirements for Computer Science year 1 entry? Or only foundation year (year 0) entry?
Reply 2
Yes from Maths to Royal Holloway. Meets the requirements for foundation. But I already did a foundation year with maths which I passed and is the same course structure as computer science

Original post by DataVenia
To summarise, you want to transfer to Computer Science at the same university you're currently at? Which university is that? (They all have different rules.) Do your A levels (or equivalent) meet the entry requirements for Computer Science year 1 entry? Or only foundation year (year 0) entry?
Original post by Folls
Yes from Maths to Royal Holloway. Meets the requirements for foundation. But I already did a foundation year with maths which I passed and is the same course structure as computer science

Well, Royal Holloway's Academic Regulations (here) say that "the student must satisfy the normal conditions for admission to the new course" (and is sounds like you don't meet the normal conditions for year 1 entry).

However, it also says that, "A student who does not satisfy the requirements of paragraphs (1) (a and b) above may transfer to another course of study, with the approval of the department(s) or school(s) concerned, and the Director of Academic Services and repeat the stage with a different diet of modules with a view to meeting the requirements at the end of the year." (It goes on a bit after that - you might want to read it in full yourself.)

It also says, "A student who is not permitted to continue with his/her course of studies on academic grounds, may be given permission to transfer, in the next academic year, to a similar or an entirely different course of study in the College at the discretion of the relevant department(s)/ school(s) and subject to the provisions in paragraphs (1-2) above and any others set by the relevant department(s)/school(s)."

So, the answer to your original question ("I would like to know if it is possible to do so") is yes - but it would be a non-standard transfer and you'd need to get the approval of the Computer Science department to do so.
Reply 4
Okay thank you for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending