The Student Room Group

Oxford MSc in Financial Economics - honest admission chances

Hi there,
I am thinking of doing a pure management degree at either LSE or Warwick (I have offers from both but im deferred )

What are my chances of getting a place at Oxford MSc in Financial Economics provided my GMAT/GRE is good and I achieve a first -

How much of a disadvantage do i have in comparison to someone who has done some sort of joint finance or joint economics undergraduate degree.

I emailed them to ask this - they said there was a 'small preference' but can someone honestly tell me how much of a preference there is? Does the type of uni you go to matter when they are assessing how competitive your application is?
Reply 1
Original post by stressedbonsai
Hi there,
I am thinking of doing a pure management degree at either LSE or Warwick (I have offers from both but im deferred )

What are my chances of getting a place at Oxford MSc in Financial Economics provided my GMAT/GRE is good and I achieve a first -

How much of a disadvantage do i have in comparison to someone who has done some sort of joint finance or joint economics undergraduate degree.

I emailed them to ask this - they said there was a 'small preference' but can someone honestly tell me how much of a preference there is? Does the type of uni you go to matter when they are assessing how competitive your application is?

Hi,
may I ask what your gmat/gre score was cause I think it could play a decisive role concerning your chances. Personally I think you won’t be in such a disadvantage if you score is high enough.
Original post by stressedbonsai
Hi there,

Honestly, the vast majority of Oxford's MFE cohorts come from economics or finance or maths backgrounds. So either a single honours degree in one of these or a joint degree with two of these is ideal, it probably wouldn't disadvantage you too much to have a joint degree with just one of these subjects. But you'd likely be at a disadvantage with none of these subjects, but it obviously depends on the actual degree and where it's from. Best thing to do is go through Oxford MFE students/alums on LinkedIn, see their backgrounds, then form your own view on the matter.

Yes, where you get your degree from does matter. Though places like LSE and Warwick would be good enough for this. But with a management degree from one of these places, it's a lot more uncertain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending