The Student Room Group

I forgot everythign I studied at Uni

I forgot everything I studied at Uni. What is the real point of Uni if 90% of the material studied is not needed at work or in life?

I forgot 50% of the content one week after exams... It's been almost 2 years since graduation and I can barely recall anything.

I studied Chem... so the course was math heavy... yet I don't remember how to integrate equations ... which I was good at at school...

Just so you know, I achieved 87% in my advanced math module at Uni.
If you don't use it you lose it I guess, specially true with maths. It goes away so quickly. The Ebbinghaus forgetting curve shows information is lost very quickly if there is no attempt to retain it through spaced revision. If you learn something new for the first time you forget 90% in the first 7 days if there is no attempt to retain information. So 2 years without using your uni knowledge, it would go away fast.
Original post by skyangelbro
I forgot everything I studied at Uni. What is the real point of Uni if 90% of the material studied is not needed at work or in life?

I forgot 50% of the content one week after exams... It's been almost 2 years since graduation and I can barely recall anything.

I studied Chem... so the course was math heavy... yet I don't remember how to integrate equations ... which I was good at at school...

Just so you know, I achieved 87% in my advanced math module at Uni.

It doesn't matter, that's not what the degree is about. If you get a job as a chemist, there won't be a finals exam on the first day. You have proven a capability to understand chemistry to degree level. A job is unlikely to be requiring a complete repeat of the lab work and experiments you did for your degree, it will have it's own work to do. You will be trained how to do that work, but the employer can have the confidence that you have achieved the basics before and that's enough.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
It doesn't matter, that's not what the degree is about. If you get a job as a chemist, there won't be a finals exam on the first day. You have proven a capability to understand chemistry to degree level. A job is unlikely to be requiring a complete repeat of the lab work and experiments you did for your degree, it will have it's own work to do. You will be trained how to do that work, but the employer can have the confidence that you have achieved the basics before and that's enough.

I got a job in finance/business analytics lol 🙂 ... computers do all the math.
Reply 4
Original post by flyingpiper26
If you don't use it you lose it I guess, specially true with maths. It goes away so quickly. The Ebbinghaus forgetting curve shows information is lost very quickly if there is no attempt to retain it through spaced revision. If you learn something new for the first time you forget 90% in the first 7 days if there is no attempt to retain information. So 2 years without using your uni knowledge, it would go away fast.

Thank you for your answer. But this is not the question. The question is what the purpose of doing exams if you forget the material anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending