The Student Room Group

pm

how do you get to private msg people icl im so confused :colonhash:
Original post by sr493
how do you get to private msg people icl im so confused :colonhash:

When you try to send a private message, is any kind of error displayed? If so, what does the error message say?
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
When you try to send a private message, is any kind of error displayed? If so, what does the error message say?

it says my profile isnt quite ready to send pms on tsr
Original post by sr493
it says my profile isnt quite ready to send pms on tsr

Is that all it says? I'm asking because I can't see what message the site displays these days, but the last time someone posted its contents is was very clear and very explicit.

If it literally only says that your "profile isnt quite ready to send pms on tsr", then I need to alert the folk that run TSR that the message needs fixing.
Reply 4
Original post by DataVenia
Is that all it says? I'm asking because I can't see what message the site displays these days, but the last time someone posted its contents is was very clear and very explicit.

If it literally only says that your "profile isnt quite ready to send pms on tsr", then I need to alert the folk that run TSR that the message needs fixing.

oh no sorry, the message verbatim is:

Oh!... Your profile isn’t quite ready to send private messages on The Student Room
We like to get to know you a little better before you’re able to send private messages on TSR. This is to protect both you and our community. When you are able to PM, remember to be safe and report any messages you aren’t comfortable with. You can read more about staying safe on TSR and how to report here, or find out helpful advice about staying safe on the internet over at The UK Safer Internet Centre.
How to send a PM
Easy - get involved in the community! There’s loads of super helpful and lovely people on TSR, so go say hello or ask for help in the forums and there’ll be friendly faces to welcome you. Your ability to send private messages will turn itself on once you’ve made at least two posts in the forum, and been a member for three days.

but i thought i'd met the criteria so i was confused as to why i couldnt send pms
Original post by sr493
oh no sorry, the message verbatim is:

Oh!... Your profile isn’t quite ready to send private messages on The Student Room
We like to get to know you a little better before you’re able to send private messages on TSR. This is to protect both you and our community. When you are able to PM, remember to be safe and report any messages you aren’t comfortable with. You can read more about staying safe on TSR and how to report here, or find out helpful advice about staying safe on the internet over at The UK Safer Internet Centre.
How to send a PM
Easy - get involved in the community! There’s loads of super helpful and lovely people on TSR, so go say hello or ask for help in the forums and there’ll be friendly faces to welcome you. Your ability to send private messages will turn itself on once you’ve made at least two posts in the forum, and been a member for three days.

but i thought i'd met the criteria so i was confused as to why i couldnt send pms

Thank you for posting the full message. :smile:

It says, "once you’ve made at least two posts". You have. Tick.
It says, "and been a member for three days". Your first post was at 16:32 on Friday 24th. So you haven't reached three full days (i.e. three 24-hour periods) quite yet. You've got another hour to go (unless you created the account more than an hour before your first post). To be honest, I don't know whether it counts a "day" as a full 24-hour period or any part of a day. I'm just guessing.

The one hidden piece of information (which I wish they'd put in the message, as it would save so much confusion) is that the system only checks that you meet the criteria, and enables your ability to PM, at midnight. So even if you need the criteria now, or at 16:32 when you'll definitely have been a member for at least 3 days, the system won't "notice" until midnight.

You should be able to PM tomorrow. If not, post back here and I'll nudge the right people to help you out.
Any luck? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by iL1L
Any luck? :smile:

yepppp thanks a lot :smile:
Original post by sr493
yepppp thanks a lot :smile:

Excellent. The old "magic midnight" resolution. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending