The Student Room Group

Confused

I'm receiving mixed messages all the time from management on how to improve in the team.

My role is very isolating so I'm finding it really tricky to contribute to the main team I work with. I don't work with my main team, I work with other teams

I asked my boss what do I need to do to improve but it keeps changing all the time and I'm confused. One minute it would be one thing , I would ficus on that to improve but then it would be something completely different and I end up ficusing on that to improve.

then it would be compley different. the whole thing is going around in circles

I'm nice and kind...but I'm quiet

If I don't improve I will lose my job :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I'm receiving mixed messages all the time from management on how to improve in the team.

My role is very isolating so I'm finding it really tricky to contribute to the main team I work with. I don't work with my main team, I work with other teams

I asked my boss what do I need to do to improve but it keeps changing all the time and I'm confused. One minute it would be one thing , I would ficus on that to improve but then it would be something completely different and I end up ficusing on that to improve.

then it would be compley different. the whole thing is going around in circles

I'm nice and kind...but I'm quiet

If I don't improve I will lose my job :frown:

As you're being (understandably) vague, it's difficult to comment on any specifics. Also, the contradictions in your post make it a tad confusing. (You say you find it "really tricky to contribute to the main team I work with" but then immediately say "I don't work with my main team". If you don't work with your main team, then that'll be the reason you find it difficult to contribute to them. :smile:)

Given that you seem to work primarily with other teams, does your manager actually know what you do day-to-day? Because they sit close to you?

Have any if the other teams which you've worked with given you any feedback (positive or negative)? Do they seem to be happy with your work? If so, does your manager know that?

When your manager gives you advise as to how you could improve, is this verbally or in writing (e.g. via e-mail)?

Have you tried pointing out improvements / changes you've made? For example, "Last week you suggested I should focus on reducing the time taken to respond to enquiries. It was 8 hours on average last week, but is 4 hours on average this week. Is that the sort of improvement you were looking for?" This allows you both remind them of what they asked you to improve (in case they've changed their mind!) and provide evidence of that improvement. Or is the work you do not easily measureable?

Finally, have you been told you'll lose your job if you don't improve? Most organisations will issue a written warning if your work is sub-standard and your job is at risk as a result.
Reply 2
Maybe work with your main team, so you contribute to their work! The other teams don't appraise you and you aren't judged oh their work so stop...
Reply 3
I've been at my job for nearly 2yrs, but I'm not enjoying my job.
The work I do is very isolating, I just work on my own without a team.

I'm worried my colleagues will view me as being "lazy" because my work requires no skillset. This is not the work I've imagined myself doing.

It has lowered my self-esteem significantly. I see myself as useless and worthless in the company. I am quiet more than ever because I'm depressed and sad.

Management sees me as useless and not being part of the team, when they're the one who has told me to do the work.

Thinking about leaving, but I really like my team and the company. I've spoken many times about these issues, but I don't feel like I'm listened enough

any advice?
Have you applied for other roles? Both internally and externally?

Have you spoken to your line manager at your one to ones and annual review meetings about changing your role?

Quick Reply

Latest