The Student Room Group

Should I return for S6 or go to college?

I am currently in S5 studying Higher Business, English, Maths, Modern Studies and Nat 5 Biology.

I want to study Environmental Health at Uni, which requires 4 highers with 1 in biology OR human biology

As I will have 3-4 highers after this year (depending on results), I kinda feel returning next year is pointless as I'll be taking Higher Biology plus 3 other subjects just to reach the 4 that my school require.
Therefore should I leave after this year and study Higher Human Biology at College (1 day a week course) and pick up extra hours in my retail job (allowing me to save for driving lessons/uni accommodation costs) or would I be disadvantaged by not returning for S6?

I am really undecided so any advice is appreciated
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by ConnorRF
I am currently in S5 studying Higher Business, English, Maths, Modern Studies and Nat 5 Biology.

I want to study Environmental Health at Uni, which requires 4 highers with 1 in biology OR human biology

As I will have 3-4 highers after this year (depending on results), I kinda feel returning next year is pointless as I'll be taking Higher Biology plus 3 other subjects just to reach the 4 that my school require.
Therefore should I leave after this year and study Higher Human Biology at College (1 day a week course) and pick up extra hours in my retail job (allowing me to save for driving lessons/uni accommodation costs) or would I be disadvantaged by not returning for S6?

I am really undecided so any advice is appreciated

How many uni courses have you looked at?
Are the entry requirements consistent for them all?
Reply 2
Original post by 04MR17
How many uni courses have you looked at?
Are the entry requirements consistent for them all?

I want to study environmental health, only university west of scotland offer it so only one uni in Scotland,
Reply 3
I want to study environmental health, only university west of scotland offer it so only one uni in Scotland,

I really just don’t know wether I should return to school next year or go to college, as I am currently studying 4 highers I only really need higher biology after this year so don’t really see the point in returning to study 4 more (including biology)

Okay, what's the back up if UWS say no?
Reply 5
Original post by 04MR17
Okay, what's the back up if UWS say no?

Definitely something biology related
Definitely something biology related

My advice to you is put together your plan B and your plan C.

Plan A looks very clear, and doing college part time and retail work part time is sensible for plan A. BUT, if UWS doesn't or can't offer you a place for whatever reason, what then?

More (adv) highers would give you more options. Then again, there are plenty of opportunities still to uth the qualifications you would have under your current plans.

Once you've got an ideal plan A, B and C written down, work out what next steps keep all of those avenues open to you.

I hope this is useful
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
My advice to you is put together your plan B and your plan C.

Plan A looks very clear, and doing college part time and retail work part time is sensible for plan A. BUT, if UWS doesn't or can't offer you a place for whatever reason, what then?

More (adv) highers would give you more options. Then again, there are plenty of opportunities still to uth the qualifications you would have under your current plans.

Once you've got an ideal plan A, B and C written down, work out what next steps keep all of those avenues open to you.

I hope this is useful

I think I might go to college next year and if the worst happens and I don’t get into university, return to college to do some kind of degree in Biology (as I should have Higher Human Biology) to then go onto university to study something biology related

Thanks for your help
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending