The Student Room Group

Cambridge Maths Grades

Hello, I’m currently in S5/Y12 and am considering applying to Cambridge Maths (for what would be 2025 entry). It says (for Scottish applicants), the required grades are A1A1A2 at Advanced Higher, including Advanced Higher Maths (some colleges explicitly require an A1 for maths, some don’t), but I’m sure in practice that most would achieve the A1. Last year, I sat Advanced Higher Maths and got an A2 (82%, 2 marks off an A1) and the year before I sat Higher Maths (1 mark off an A1), and I’m afraid this might hamper my application. This year I’m sitting Advanced Highers in Mechanics and Statistics (+8 other Highers) and I am hoping that, if I got 2 A1s, this would put me back in contention. However, I’m self teaching (as I did with Maths last year) and my school has very little resources to offer, so the two A1s are going to be quite difficult to achieve.

Here are my questions:
1- Would the A2 in maths potentially lead to a pre-interview rejection, even though it was self taught and sat 2 years early?
2- If I achieved A1 A2 in the Advanced Highers this year, would it still be worth applying under the knowledge that I could still achieve 2 A1s in S6 (in different subjects, with teacher support)?
3- Should I resit Maths, adding to what is already quite a large workload?
It may be worth emailing your college to ask, they'll know best. Definitely mention that you are self-teaching and how close you were on your reference if you do apply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending