The Student Room Group

Is biomed good?

I'm not sure whether to consider applying to biomedical degrees or not. i've heard there's a lot of choice and variety in what you study in the degree which is good that it keeps options open after that but also there's this whole idea that biomed students are only there because they didn't get into medicine 😒
i'm debating between doing a biological science (particularly microbiology) but obviously you can still go into that after a biomed degree. not sure because again a lot of people say "what jobs can you even get after a biomed degree" and of course as much as people say pick what you enjoy not for money, salary is an important aspect. if anyone can offer two pence of advice/info pls do!
Original post by wavetovenus
I'm not sure whether to consider applying to biomedical degrees or not. i've heard there's a lot of choice and variety in what you study in the degree which is good that it keeps options open after that but also there's this whole idea that biomed students are only there because they didn't get into medicine 😒
i'm debating between doing a biological science (particularly microbiology) but obviously you can still go into that after a biomed degree. not sure because again a lot of people say "what jobs can you even get after a biomed degree" and of course as much as people say pick what you enjoy not for money, salary is an important aspect. if anyone can offer two pence of advice/info pls do!

Hey @wavetovenus

I study biochemistry (another course stereotyped for people who were rejected from medicine). I never was interested in medicine, and neither were any of my friends in my course - we are all just here because we enjoy the subject (university is a lot easier if you like what you study)!

Both biological science and biomedicine will have similarities, biomedical science will just be more tailored towards human biology and won't include ecology/zoology, whereas biological science is likely to have a broader range of topics available. However, if your passion is in human biology, genetics, cellular biology, microbiology etc, then maybe biomedical science or biomedicine would be a sensible choice.

There are plenty of jobs you could get after a biomedical science degree. In terms of science-related degrees, if you get a IBMS-accredited degree and work towards getting registered with the HCPC, you could become a Biomedical Scientist in the NHS (https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/healthcare-science/roles-healthcare-science/life-sciences/biomedical-science). In terms of jobs in industry and academia, you could work in drug discovery and development, biotechnology, continue into academic research, work in clinical trial management etc. There are also many roles that don't have degree requirements like in finance, law, and management, that you could continue into after your degree if you don't want to continue into a science-based job.

I hope I could help, if you have any other questions please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Reply 2
Hey! I got a degree in Biomedical Science and now I'm doing my masters in Toxicology and hoping to become forensic toxicologist. it covers a bunch of different subjects. This degree opens up a lot of doors for jobs once you graduate.. I would recommend it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending