The Student Room Group

placement in biomed

Hi, so I'm currently studying biomed to get into medicine and I'm confused if I should do a placement in biomed. Although,in the placement I'll just be in the lab rather than having an interaction with patients. so do you think I should get the placement or not
Hey!
I think it depends on you... if your placement is in a hospital, on one side, yeah you would just be in the lab, which could be good for your portfolio if you decided you don't want to do med anymore and u want to be a biomedical scientist. And if it is in a hospital, maybe you can get connections with hospital workers, which could be good for work experience (a little off topic, but idk if you have shadowing experience, but i heard that getting a shadowing place is difficult, so maybe having connections with hospital workers could help with that). You also have to consider if you want to have that extra year, or if you want to just get over your degree, not waste a year and apply asap to medicine. If you do the placement year, and it is in an industry, not only that could be good for your cv, but also you can have an extra year to strengthen your med application, wether it is to have more work experience, or study more for entrance exams.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nadiaquinganga
Hey!
I think it depends on you... if your placement is in a hospital, on one side, yeah you would just be in the lab, which could be good for your portfolio if you decided you don't want to do med anymore and u want to be a biomedical scientist. And if it is in a hospital, maybe you can get connections with hospital workers, which could be good for work experience (a little off topic, but idk if you have shadowing experience, but i heard that getting a shadowing place is difficult, so maybe having connections with hospital workers could help with that). You also have to consider if you want to have that extra year, or if you want to just get over your degree, not waste a year and apply asap to medicine. If you do the placement year, and it is in an industry, not only that could be good for your cv, but also you can have an extra year to strengthen your med application, wether it is to have more work experience, or study more for entrance exams.
Hope this helps :smile:
Hi, thank you so much. I also spoke to a lot of people who did the same route as I want to and most of them said they didn't do the placement but I think I'll just not do the biomed placement and apply straight to medicine. No I do not have shadowing experience but I've applied to volunteer in some hospitals. Thank you so much

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending