The Student Room Group

How are salariés worked out?

I thought I was on a decent salary for my age. However it’s just transpired that my colleague is on 74K ( her starting was £60K) and my starting salary was £40K ( I’ve been there 18 months and this has increased to £46K

I was obviously really happy about this and grateful ( I am 24, nearly 25) and she is 32. She’s still only been there 3 years so I’m just wondering how on earth she got on such a high starter salary.

I have a degree and a masters, I don’t even think she has a degree! Could it be on the basis that she is 7 yrs older?

I do not understand! I don’t wanna sound super ungrateful. I have great appraisals too so I’m not sure why my salary isn’t a little bit more!

I obviously can’t mention this to my boss cos we aren’t meant to talk about salaries but what the ****??
Original post by Anonymous #1
I thought I was on a decent salary for my age. However it’s just transpired that my colleague is on 74K ( her starting was £60K) and my starting salary was £40K ( I’ve been there 18 months and this has increased to £46K

I was obviously really happy about this and grateful ( I am 24, nearly 25) and she is 32. She’s still only been there 3 years so I’m just wondering how on earth she got on such a high starter salary.

I have a degree and a masters, I don’t even think she has a degree! Could it be on the basis that she is 7 yrs older?

I do not understand! I don’t wanna sound super ungrateful. I have great appraisals too so I’m not sure why my salary isn’t a little bit more!

I obviously can’t mention this to my boss cos we aren’t meant to talk about salaries but what the ****??

Perhaps she's really, really, really good at her job and you're.... not???
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
Perhaps she's really, really, really good at her job and you're.... not???

I am very good at my job, I scored 5 ( the top) on all of my appraisal points. My question was how is your starting salary worked out as in how was she given such a large starting salary
I am very good at my job, I scored 5 ( the top) on all of my appraisal points. My question was how is your starting salary worked out as in how was she given such a large starting salary

Ability and experience over academic qualifications, is a likely explanation.
If she was 29 when she joined then she would have been in a much stronger position than you to discuss salary expectations.

They could have found countless Masters grads with less experience so didn't need to have a higher starting point.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
If she was 29 when she joined then she would have been in a much stronger position than you to discuss salary expectations.

They could have found countless Masters grads with less experience so didn't need to have a higher starting point.

I was 23 when I joined - so I’m 25 in February and given I get good appraisals would it be unreasonable to discuss / ask for a potential pay rise once I’m 25? I feel like I’m in a good position too given I actually do more work than this woman although she is older!
I was 23 when I joined - so I’m 25 in February and given I get good appraisals would it be unreasonable to discuss / ask for a potential pay rise once I’m 25? I feel like I’m in a good position too given I actually do more work than this woman although she is older!

There's a whiff of misogynistic jealousy in this thread...
Original post by Anonymous

Different business do salary reviews differently, (I've always had incremental increases, even when I worked in finance), so I can't really say whether it's worth discussing. In all honesty I think you may struggle as you've said that you've been their 18 months and your salary has already gone up by 6k.

In the past I've had colleagues apply for and be offered posts elsewhere, and have then used that to leverage a salary hike as they could demonstrate they could go elsewhere for more money.

I suppose the question is are you unhappy that you are being paid below the market rate, or unhappy because your colleague used their years of experience to start from a higher salary point.
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 8
Are you doing the exact same role and in the same level of seniority?
Original post by Admit-One
Different business do salary reviews differently, (I've always had incremental increases, even when I worked in finance), so I can't really say whether it's worth discussing. In all honesty I think you may struggle as you've said that you've been their 18 months and your salary has already gone up by 6k.

In the past I've had colleagues apply for and be offered posts elsewhere, and have then used that to leverage a salary hike as they could demonstrate they could go elsewhere for more money.

I suppose the question is are you unhappy that you are being paid below the market rate, or unhappy because your colleague used their years of experience to start from a higher salary point.

Yes I also work in finance so since I’ve been therewe’ve had yearly increases ( and also one extra whenit was the height of cost of living) I’m happy that she’s used her experience to get thatsalary of course - but at the crux of it ( forgetting ourage difference) we do exactly the same job, and Iwould argue I have a heavier workload than her. I just think that a 20K difference in starting salary ishuge!
I think the above question about the roles and level of seniority is important. Because it's not exactly clear what the case is.

For example if you have 2 years of seniority in your role, no prior experience before joining, and your job title is idk, "junior copywriter", whereas she has 3 years seniority in that role, 7 years experience in the industry before that, and her job title is "senior managing editor" or something, then that's going to be it. You're actually doing different jobs and are in very different stages of your careers, even though you do work alongside each other and together.

Note I just picked a random sector to select job titles from, they are just illustrative.
Original post by Amydesigns1104
Yes I also work in finance so since I’ve been therewe’ve had yearly increases ( and also one extra whenit was the height of cost of living) I’m happy that she’s used her experience to get thatsalary of course - but at the crux of it ( forgetting ourage difference) we do exactly the same job, and Iwould argue I have a heavier workload than her. I just think that a 20K difference in starting salary ishuge!

It's a sizeable difference and I'm surprised they could could make a business case for doing it tbh. As you point out, you were a graduate and seem to have been more than capable of doing the role so there doesn't seem to have been the need to sweeten the deal so much to get them on board.

But hey, I'm not a recruiting manager :smile:

Your workload would be a good point to bring up in any discussion, anything concrete that you can detail like that.
Reply 12
Starting salary usually depends on several factors, some of which are listed below:

The industry of the employer

The employer

The job role

The employee (i.e. the individual)

The manager of the employee

Supply/demand of good candidates

Pay rises and/or promotions usually depend on several factors, some of which are listed below:

The industry of the employer

The employer

Employer budgets

The job role

The employee (i.e. the individual)

The manager of the employee

Performance reviews

If you are not satisfied with your salary, then you need to speak with your manager. They should outline very clearly what you need to do in order to improve your salary. If you are not satisfied with their response, then you should look to work for another employer.

I would also like to add that too many young graduates focus on career progression and salary. The average salary in the UK is £38,000:
https://www.forbes.com/uk/advisor/business/average-uk-salary-by-age

If you are starting out around that figure or even more, then you are already beating the UK average at a young age and a full career ahead of you. Therefore, in my opinion, it is not something you should be worrying about at this stage of your life.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending