The Student Room Group

Issues with references causing me to panic

Hi,
So I got a job offer before Christmas and all they need to do is right for work checks and check references for the job to be mine.

My former employer has you direct reference requests to their Vetting Department and then my other reference is my college Career Advisor.

Now, my Career Advisor said she will respond to any reference request on the 8th January as that is when Christmas break is over.

My former employer when contacted claimed I never worked at the company. I contacted my local office yesterday explaining what happened and they gave me a contact in their office, with an email saying they’d get a reference sent out same day.

I have chased up with my potential new employer today and they haven’t received a reference and I’m really starting to panic.

My anxiety is through the roof with this due to the lack of control. It is literally my dream job as well. And I’d hate to lose it because a reference is causing issues.

They said they’d send it yesterday and they didn’t and I don’t know what to do. I’m getting really panicked.

I have really bad anxiety as it is and this really is not helping.
Original post by LilyRobinson
Hi,
So I got a job offer before Christmas and all they need to do is right for work checks and check references for the job to be mine.

My former employer has you direct reference requests to their Vetting Department and then my other reference is my college Career Advisor.

Now, my Career Advisor said she will respond to any reference request on the 8th January as that is when Christmas break is over.

My former employer when contacted claimed I never worked at the company. I contacted my local office yesterday explaining what happened and they gave me a contact in their office, with an email saying they’d get a reference sent out same day.

I have chased up with my potential new employer today and they haven’t received a reference and I’m really starting to panic.

My anxiety is through the roof with this due to the lack of control. It is literally my dream job as well. And I’d hate to lose it because a reference is causing issues.

They said they’d send it yesterday and they didn’t and I don’t know what to do. I’m getting really panicked.

I have really bad anxiety as it is and this really is not helping.

It's not your business to chase references. Once you have asked for a reference and given the new employer the right contact details, it's the new employer's job to chase up references.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
It's not your business to chase references. Once you have asked for a reference and given the new employer the right contact details, it's the new employer's job to chase up references.

I’ve emailed both my reference and my new employer in order to:

Apologise for my over-eagerness.

Expressing I appreciate it is early in the new year and people will be settling in and dealing with backlogs.

Expressing I have anxiety which unfortunately got the better of me. (I should note, I’m not just throwing around the word anxiety. I’m actually diagnosed with anxiety.)

That I’m going to step back and trust in the process.

I was just trying to be proactive and helpful and with the Vetting Department of my former employer saying I never worked there. It triggered an anxiety attack. I don’t even understand how a mistake like that could happen.
HR departments tend to understand how monolithic other HR dept's can be. I would try not to worry, they are likely to give extra leeway, especially over Xmas.
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
HR departments tend to understand how monolithic other HR dept's can be. I would try not to worry, they are likely to give extra leeway, especially over Xmas.

Thanks. It is more the fact my former employer’s Vetting Department told my new employer that I never worked there which has caused my anxiety to skyrocket.

Like while it seems I have got it sorted with someone from my local office agreeing last minute to give a reference. The Vetting Department doing that initially has really thrown me.
Thanks. It is more the fact my former employer’s Vetting Department told my new employer that I never worked there which has caused my anxiety to skyrocket.

Like while it seems I have got it sorted with someone from my local office agreeing last minute to give a reference. The Vetting Department doing that initially has really thrown me.

To be honest the fact that it is obviously an error that can be sorted would reassure me.

I’d be more worried if they provided an incomplete reference and their policy meant that they could give one in the format needed.
Reply 6
Original post by Admit-One
To be honest the fact that it is obviously an error that can be sorted would reassure me.

I’d be more worried if they provided an incomplete reference and their policy meant that they could give one in the format needed.

Thanks. I just received two emails this morning. One of from my new employer and one from my former employer. The reference has both been sent off and received now 😊
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift

Just an update. It is all sorted.

Both my former employer and new employer emailed this morning confirming sending off a reference and its receipt.

My new employer also completely understood why I got so anxious and overly eager and have said they are looking forward to me joining them on my start date.
Thanks. I just received two emails this morning. One of from my new employer and one from my former employer. The reference has both been sent off and received now 😊

Congrats. I hope the new job goes well :smile:
Just an update. It is all sorted.

Both my former employer and new employer emailed this morning confirming sending off a reference and its receipt.

My new employer also completely understood why I got so anxious and overly eager and have said they are looking forward to me joining them on my start date.

Great result, these things usually work out. Enjoy the new job - and relax!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending