The Student Room Group

friend troubles

my friend has recently got upset with me due to me applying to some of the same universities as her. just to clarify i told her i wasn't applying to the same ones because of our friendship, but because they'd always been at the back of my mind.
since she applied early, i think it now looks like ive intentionally copied her and the fact that i didn't say anything earlier to her about it makes it look like i was covering it up, which i genuinely wasn't it's just that i was scared she was going to think i was only applying because she was.
plus it was only two universities with complete different courses from her? i don't like to cross boundaries with people and i understand maybe feeling territorial over a university but i knew if i didn't apply id regret it. anyone have any advice on how to handle this?
Reply 1
I mean if you have already explained it to her then there's not much to do. if she doesn't believe you then that's a her problem and lowkey why would she even care? Honestly, if someone applied to the same unis as me i wouldn't bat an eye, there aren't that many great unis in the uk anyway
Reply 2
Original post by mmmm.
I mean if you have already explained it to her then there's not much to do. if she doesn't believe you then that's a her problem and lowkey why would she even care? Honestly, if someone applied to the same unis as me i wouldn't bat an eye, there aren't that many great unis in the uk anyway

yeah i don't really know why she's overreacting about it. i introduced her to most of the unis she applied to as well 😭
Reply 3
bro then she is just a gatekeeping and not in a good way
Reply 4
Original post by mmmm.
bro then she is just a gatekeeping and not in a good way

yeah im kind of just hoping it will eventually resolve itself. im way too lazy to argue with her. thanks for the earlier advice tho!
tell her you applied to all the same accommodation too. ask her now if she wants to be flatmates in second year. plan what societies to join together. if she's a real friend she'll want to stay friends at university. maybe you could do matching outfits??
Reply 6
Original post by steamedclams
tell her you applied to all the same accommodation too. ask her now if she wants to be flatmates in second year. plan what societies to join together. if she's a real friend she'll want to stay friends at university. maybe you could do matching outfits??

LMAO she'd loose her mind i think
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous #1
my friend has recently got upset with me due to me applying to some of the same universities as her. just to clarify i told her i wasn't applying to the same ones because of our friendship, but because they'd always been at the back of my mind.
since she applied early, i think it now looks like ive intentionally copied her and the fact that i didn't say anything earlier to her about it makes it look like i was covering it up, which i genuinely wasn't it's just that i was scared she was going to think i was only applying because she was.
plus it was only two universities with complete different courses from her? i don't like to cross boundaries with people and i understand maybe feeling territorial over a university but i knew if i didn't apply id regret it. anyone have any advice on how to handle this?

Unfortunately I don’t think there’s much you can do in this situation to be honest. Lots of people who know each other apply to the same universities every year, so I’m not too sure why she has an issue with it? Have you asked her about why she is so upset? I know that I personally would be delighted if me and my friends applied/ went to the same universities. She can’t try and keep you from going to the same university as her, and she’s being quite a bad friend for trying to do so. Just choose the university you feel best at and don’t worry about that they think about your decision.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending