The Student Room Group

How should I go about preparing for the STEP Maths exam?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by vnayak
I think the main problem is with the proof sort of stuff because some of the questions are a bit vague (in comparison to the A level Maths and Further Maths papers), which is as expected, so it takes some time to identify how to go about doing it. The other problem for me is that the solutions provide more of a report for how people did on each question rather than actually showing how you do it, which is the other problem I'm currently experiencing.

Are you getting support in school?
Reply 21
Original post by Muttley79
Are you getting support in school?

I showed one of my teachers one of the questions from STEP I and there were stuck on it and suggested that I try to look at the answers to decipher a solution. This is when I started to prepare for the STEP slowly (I wasn't sure whether I was going to get an offer from Imperial or not so I didn't want to unnecessarily go too deep into it such that I fall behind on my schoolwork). Plus, I also have my EPQ and NEA to complete so I've got a lot on my plate with regards to schoolwork.

I think that there is one potential teacher I could speak to who wasn't there towards the end of term but other than that, I don't think so...
Reply 22
Original post by mqb2766
Cant see them again. If youve posted them on another site, just post the urls rather than including them as an image.

Question paper link: https://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/download/Admissions/STEP/Papers/2014%20STEP%201.pdf

Question 3
Reply 23
Original post by Jam.123
Work through the APM book by Stephen Siklos too. All the STEP support modules, etc.
Tonnes of solutions to all papers from 1996 onwards available from MEI (TSR also has some older solution threads). HOWEVER, you should never look at a known solution unless you are confident that you have a valid answer yourself. Doing so is counterproductive. Maybe when you've spent 4+ hours or days on a problem and can't do it, it becomes okay to look at a solution but never take the easy route out.

Also Imperial mainly set STEP as a formality - most people who miss their STEP offer are taken anyway for whatever reason.

Thank you for your advice! I have downloaded that very book now and will work through it. I saw that MEI had worked solutions to the STEP papers and having completed a few of them, I wanted to check some of my answers against it but it appears that the website is down. Every time I try to access the website, it just doesn't load.

Also, what do you mean when you say it's a formality? I read on a thread somewhere that so many people last year were accepted because there were LOADS of people who missed the mark that they needed, unlike in previous years. Also, I want to do well in the STEP so that they have no choice but to accept me, rather than getting in just like that.
Original post by vnayak
I showed one of my teachers one of the questions from STEP I and there were stuck on it and suggested that I try to look at the answers to decipher a solution. This is when I started to prepare for the STEP slowly (I wasn't sure whether I was going to get an offer from Imperial or not so I didn't want to unnecessarily go too deep into it such that I fall behind on my schoolwork). Plus, I also have my EPQ and NEA to complete so I've got a lot on my plate with regards to schoolwork.

I think that there is one potential teacher I could speak to who wasn't there towards the end of term but other than that, I don't think so...

We put on regular weekly sessions for MAT and STEP ...

Why are you taking so many subjects btw? We would advise against an EPQ if you are doing 4 A levels ...
Reply 25

It would have helped to see what you did, but when youve worked out the two integrals (easy), there is a fairly trivial (b-a) factor that can be cancelled as b>a. Then spot the remaining cubic terms must give the 3p^2q (work backwards if necessary) and the remaining quadratic terms must give the other two terms. Theyve left it in the form of the original question, so the left and right hand sides in the desired representation correspond to the left and right in the original integral. So the factorisation may appear hard, but taking a step back (work back a line or two) and thinking about what theyre after means its actually reasonably straightforward. The following two parts p^2 = ... and the deduce should be straightforward?
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 26
Original post by mqb2766
It would have helped to see what you did, but when youve worked out the two integrals (easy), there is a fairly trivial (b-a) factor that can be cancelled as b>a. Then spot the remaining cubic terms must give the 3p^2q (work backwards if necessary) and the remaining quadratic terms must give the other two terms. Theyve left it in the form of the original question, so the left and right hand sides in the desired representation correspond to the left and right in the original integral. So the factorisation may appear hard, but taking a step back (work back a line or two) and thinking about what theyre after means its actually reasonably straightforward. The following two parts p^2 = ... and the deduce should be straightforward?

Ahhh yeah I spotted removing the (b-a) but then I was stuck....I completely missed it and Idk how. Need to get better.
Reply 27
We put on regular weekly sessions for MAT and STEP ...

Why are you taking so many subjects btw? We would advise against an EPQ if you are doing 4 A levels ...

I applied to Cambridge as well and my school has a non-existent Oxbridge record for students getting in without an EPQ....
Reply 28
Original post by vnayak
Ahhh yeah I spotted removing the (b-a) but then I was stuck....I completely missed it and Idk how. Need to get better.

A key thing with (step) algebra is to take a step back and think about what they want. Siklos says to think a couple of steps ahead rather than ploughing through the algebra in the hope its going to give as often it wont if you dont have an idea of what youre doing/why youre doing it.

When you do the integration you have
cubic = quartic
and they want
quadratic = cubic
The individual terms dont cancel, so the only way to get there is to cancel the trivial factor (b-a) which corresponds to the trivial solution of the integrals
0 = 0
as the limits are the same b=a. Obv this is ruled out in the question as b>a. Then its just a case of working backwards / expand the answer if necessary to finish it off.
(edited 4 months ago)
Original post by vnayak
I applied to Cambridge as well and my school has a non-existent Oxbridge record for students getting in without an EPQ....

Well I can assure you that is to do with something else not EPQ. No-one who does 4 A levels does an EPQ but we get Oxbridge successes every year - state school btw. Are you in a state school?
Reply 30
Well I can assure you that is to do with something else not EPQ. No-one who does 4 A levels does an EPQ but we get Oxbridge successes every year - state school btw. Are you in a state school?

Nope....that's partly why. We had two people going to Oxbridge last year from my school. One for NatSci at Cambridge (who had been at a private school for the entirety of their education) and got an A*AAE offer from Cambridge and another person who got into biomedical engineering at Oxford joined our school following their GCSEs, which they completed at a state school (and they absolutely smashed).

We used to have a lot more success in the past. The no EPQ- no Oxbridge thing was a bit of an exaggeration but I think there have been at most, 5 people in the past 10 years who got into Oxbridge from our school without EPQ.

That being said, one of the smartest people in our year applied for engineering at Cambridge and got rejected from their college. They smashed their admissions test and has an offer from Imperial so I don't think it's to do with how weak their application is. They got 10 9s and 1 7 in English Language and are predicted 4 A*s (no EPQ).
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 31

Also, while I do regret taking it, I don't mind doing it (partly because I'm almost finished) but also because I find my topic area quite interesting and it is concerning the current climate in the technology field. But worst comes to worst, I will do absolutely nothing for it, get a low grade in it but focus on what I need to. Plus the deadline is at the end of Jan anyway so it's not like I need to wait too much longer.
Original post by vnayak
Nope....that's partly why. We had two people going to Oxbridge last year from my school. One for NatSci at Cambridge (who had been at a private school for the entirety of their education) and got an A*AAE offer from Cambridge and another person who got into biomedical engineering at Oxford joined our school following their GCSEs, which they completed at a state school (and they absolutely smashed).

We used to have a lot more success in the past. The no EPQ- no Oxbridge thing was a bit of an exaggeration but I think there have been at most, 5 people in the past 10 years who got into Oxbridge from our school without EPQ.

That being said, one of the smartest people in our year applied for engineering at Cambridge and got rejected from their college. They smashed their admissions test and has an offer from Imperial so I don't think it's to do with how weak their application is. They got 10 9s and 1 7 in English Language and are predicted 4 A*s (no EPQ).

Probably a PS issue I would guess.

Do think twice about Imperial - it's known to be toxic and is one uni hardly anyone in my school applies to now. Have any of the courses got a year in industry because that is a good option when it comes to getting a job.
Reply 33
Probably a PS issue I would guess.

Do think twice about Imperial - it's known to be toxic and is one uni hardly anyone in my school applies to now. Have any of the courses got a year in industry because that is a good option when it comes to getting a job.

Yes, my course at Edinburgh does but I think they stopped doing it last year (according to the website I believe) but I'm not sure why... When you say that the Imperial environment is toxic, what do you mean?? I have had relatives go there and they really enjoyed the experience...
Original post by vnayak
Yes, my course at Edinburgh does but I think they stopped doing it last year (according to the website I believe) but I'm not sure why... When you say that the Imperial environment is toxic, what do you mean?? I have had relatives go there and they really enjoyed the experience...

Student support is poor ... they tried to keep all lectures online for ever after covid with no face-to-face teaching.
Reply 35
Student support is poor ... they tried to keep all lectures online for ever after covid with no face-to-face teaching.

I spoke to the current students and the university follows a hybrid model now but I believe first year lectures are all in person. As for support, you have 3 UTAs (undergraduate teaching assistants who are usually students in their third or fourth year) and the staff are generally quite accessible... This is the information I got from when I was at my in-person interview from a third year student.
Original post by vnayak
I spoke to the current students and the university follows a hybrid model now but I believe first year lectures are all in person. As for support, you have 3 UTAs (undergraduate teaching assistants who are usually students in their third or fourth year) and the staff are generally quite accessible... This is the information I got from when I was at my in-person interview from a third year student.

Don't believe it ... why do so many hate their time there? Of course they will hand-pick students on Open Days ...

When students went a few year back the staff were boasting about how many they threw out!

Btw, I'm shocked that you have so little support for STEP at a fee-paying school. Shocking!
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 37
Original post by vnayak

Was mulling this (and the fibonacci one) over a bit last night and while you could take the view that you need to get better at proof/algebra/.... often its the case that some problem solving is important. The stuff below should be taken with a pinch of salt as its hard to give advice without really seeing what you did / what you were thinking about.

So for the fibonacci one, writing out the first few terms and their next value growth rates
Terms: 0,1,1,2,3,5,8,...
Growth: #,#,1,2,3/2,5/3,8/5, ...
Its fairly clear that the growth rate is >=1 and <=2 simply because of the recursive rule summing the two previous terms and theyre nonnegative (due to the initial conditions). So its only =2 when both previous terms are equal and =1 when one previous term is zero as the sequence is increasing. Then its just a writing up matter, so putting the next value argument into a simple inductive framework (where you multiply successive growth rates and say its < 2^#). Simply writing out the first few terms and thinking about why it occurs (initial growth rates 1,2,3/2, ...) pretty much gives the proof and its hardly even "a level". Often proofs in step are 5-10 minutes so maybe 1/3 or 1/4 of a question so theyre often not "complicated", but you need to be able to get started and see what the arguments are. Hence the "sub in values" or "simplify the problem" or "take extreme cases" or ... problem solving stuff to get started and dont sit there with a blank sheet of paper.

Similarly for the integration one, I couldnt see the images, but I guess the problem was the final factorising. Just expanding the desired solution and working back a line or two should have made it clear the quadratic and cubic groupings necessary to finish off the question and how it relates to the original problem statement. So if you have to show a trig identity or algebraic factorisation or ... and youre given the final answer, try working back as well as the usual working forwards and as often the solution is ~5-6 lines of algebra (again youre expected to do the question part in about 5-10 minutes), youll end up meeting in the middle. So "working back" from the answer can be useful, even if you do it in your head and simply think about the structure/arguments rather than actual values/full working.
(edited 4 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending