The Student Room Group

Cambridge Economics A-Level Help!!

I take further maths (WJEC) but at A2, my school has decided to pursue the mechanics unit rather than statistics, which universities would prefer me to study if I am applying for economics. Does anyone have any advice for self-teaching? Also, should I mention that I am self-teaching in the personal statement or in Cambridge's additional personal statement?
I'm in the same boat as you but definitely talk about it in your personal statement because it shows you're able to prepare a BIG part of maths on your own, plus a lot of unis don't really care that you're studying mechanics rather than statistics (at least ik the ones I've looked at aren't rlly picky and I'm thinking of economics & maths)
Original post by moonflower321
I'm in the same boat as you but definitely talk about it in your personal statement because it shows you're able to prepare a BIG part of maths on your own, plus a lot of unis don't really care that you're studying mechanics rather than statistics (at least ik the ones I've looked at aren't rlly picky and I'm thinking of economics & maths)

Thank you, I definitely will talk about it in the ps! :smile: are you planning on self-teaching as well? I've now got to prep for the tmua, maybe step exam and try to learn a level stats over summer
Original post by shreya540
Thank you, I definitely will talk about it in the ps! :smile: are you planning on self-teaching as well? I've now got to prep for the tmua, maybe step exam and try to learn a level stats over summer

I was considering but I've realised a lot of my unis usually say that if the school doesn't offer it then they won't look at it - plus my teachers can't answer or mark my work if I go to them for help. I've got to prepare for the tmua too! but the step really put me off 😭
Reply 4
Original post by shreya540
I take further maths (WJEC) but at A2, my school has decided to pursue the mechanics unit rather than statistics, which universities would prefer me to study if I am applying for economics. Does anyone have any advice for self-teaching? Also, should I mention that I am self-teaching in the personal statement or in Cambridge's additional personal statement?

it really shouldn't matter - a good foundation in the pure side of things is more important than anything else, and unis won't assume that all candidates have the same opportunities at FM? Do your target unis actually require FM for Econ or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending