The Student Room Group

Cambridge advice + A levels

Hello, I am wanting to apply for Cambridge, I am currently doing 4 A levels, including further maths, I have seen that other posts kind of view FM as almost 'Supplementary' to maths so to speak, meaning it tends to be tacked on in a sense. I have been bouncing between if I should drop down to 3 A levels, because I am on A's and A*'s, but I am predicted a little below the entry requirements (A*AAA), but I can see from all the mocks and past papers I have done, that computing is the weakest link out of all of them, mainly because I generally lack in exam technique rather than simply not knowing, which is a more difficult thing to fix as it just requires one to do as much work on them as possible, and currently the spec I do has 2 past papers, and my computer science teacher quit at the start of the year, so we spent like a month straight without a teacher and then the teacher we had could be there in every lesson. That being said, although I reckon if I could just focus my absolute all on my A levels, I could most certainly get them very high, the issue not only do I need to sit the STEP exam, I cannot afford to go to university at all if I do not start working more hours, and A levels are harder than AS, so I know my grades could potentially be at risk of degrading by a wide margin for CS. That being said, I have been thinking about dropping down to three for a while now, because all I want is to go to Cambridge, but I am concerned that dropping to three might make my application less competitive and thus reduce my chances of getting in, and although I have been told they do not necessarily consider 4 A levels over 3, this brings me to my initial point that I have seen FM and maths treated almost like one A level kind of split in two if that makes sense. Because of this, I am worried that dropping to three for what I am going for could indeed damage my chances, and I do not know what to do, I was wondering if anybody who had got in for maths/STEM subjects, has experience with admissions etc. knows how it all works, because I do not know what to do, and it has been stressing me out for ages, because I do not want to continue with computer science, as I love the subject but do not like the specification itself so I would much prefer it as a hobby, but I do not want to screw myself over by dropping it. (I am a state school student and I do maths, further maths, computing and physics since I know that context applied to the offer)
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I am wanting to apply for Cambridge, I am currently doing 4 A levels, including further maths, I have seen that other posts kind of view FM as almost 'Supplementary' to maths so to speak, meaning it tends to be tacked on in a sense. I have been bouncing between if I should drop down to 3 A levels, because I am on A's and A*'s, but I am predicted a little below the entry requirements (A*AAA), but I can see from all the mocks and past papers I have done, that computing is the weakest link out of all of them, mainly because I generally lack in exam technique rather than simply not knowing, which is a more difficult thing to fix as it just requires one to do as much work on them as possible, and currently the spec I do has 2 past papers, and my computer science teacher quit at the start of the year, so we spent like a month straight without a teacher and then the teacher we had could be there in every lesson. That being said, although I reckon if I could just focus my absolute all on my A levels, I could most certainly get them very high, the issue not only do I need to sit the STEP exam, I cannot afford to go to university at all if I do not start working more hours, and A levels are harder than AS, so I know my grades could potentially be at risk of degrading by a wide margin for CS. That being said, I have been thinking about dropping down to three for a while now, because all I want is to go to Cambridge, but I am concerned that dropping to three might make my application less competitive and thus reduce my chances of getting in, and although I have been told they do not necessarily consider 4 A levels over 3, this brings me to my initial point that I have seen FM and maths treated almost like one A level kind of split in two if that makes sense. Because of this, I am worried that dropping to three for what I am going for could indeed damage my chances, and I do not know what to do, I was wondering if anybody who had got in for maths/STEM subjects, has experience with admissions etc. knows how it all works, because I do not know what to do, and it has been stressing me out for ages, because I do not want to continue with computer science, as I love the subject but do not like the specification itself so I would much prefer it as a hobby, but I do not want to screw myself over by dropping it. (I am a state school student and I do maths, further maths, computing and physics since I know that context applied to the offer)

I could do with some paragraph breaks in all that - I've read it several times and am still not clear what you want to apply for :smile:

If you're a Maths applicant then you need to be doing both FM and STEP - there's no escaping that, and it would certainly look bad if you dropped FM when you've had the opportunity to study it already.

3 A levels are fine for *most* Cambridge degrees but you need to clarify what your ambitions / target subject actually are!
Reply 2
Original post by davros
I could do with some paragraph breaks in all that - I've read it several times and am still not clear what you want to apply for :smile:

If you're a Maths applicant then you need to be doing both FM and STEP - there's no escaping that, and it would certainly look bad if you dropped FM when you've had the opportunity to study it already.

3 A levels are fine for *most* Cambridge degrees but you need to clarify what your ambitions / target subject actually are!

My apologies in regards to structure, I have read over it and it is quite spotty, my sincere apologies! :smile:

To clarify, I am doing maths FM, physics and computing, and I want to get into Cambridge for maths, but due to needing to work more hours, I am worried my grades might drop, as they are good now, but need upkeep and improvement in some places. Due to this, I have been looking into whether dropping to 3 A levels would affect my chances of getting in, because of course the same application with 4 A levels can be stronger than 3. My concern is that as I move into next year, where things will get more complex, my grades will not only be affected because of that, but also as I do more STEP prep and, if I choose to do so, my computer science NEA (Which at minimum is 50 hours). However, at the moment, I am kind of 'In between' so to speak with grades where I can see myself going either way in terms of results.

That being said, I am worried that by dropping down to three, although the grades themselves may get better, it could affect my chances of getting in, because I know Cambridge wants to see you are capable of working hard, ultimately making the choice of dropping one (Which would be computer science if I did so) worse than carrying on with four. Although I do enjoy Computer Science and I am good at it, I just cannot get the exam technique, and nearly all of my wrong marks are simply because of exam technique, and it is the only one I cannot confidently say that, given enough time and effort, I could realistically get an A/A* in for certain in the time that is left; it is possible, but nevertheless if it is not worth this risk, then I should drop it.

My apologies for the prior confusion, I hope I have made it more clear! :smile:
Reply 3
My apologies in regards to structure, I have read over it and it is quite spotty, my sincere apologies! :smile:

To clarify, I am doing maths FM, physics and computing, and I want to get into Cambridge for maths, but due to needing to work more hours, I am worried my grades might drop, as they are good now, but need upkeep and improvement in some places. Due to this, I have been looking into whether dropping to 3 A levels would affect my chances of getting in, because of course the same application with 4 A levels can be stronger than 3. My concern is that as I move into next year, where things will get more complex, my grades will not only be affected because of that, but also as I do more STEP prep and, if I choose to do so, my computer science NEA (Which at minimum is 50 hours). However, at the moment, I am kind of 'In between' so to speak with grades where I can see myself going either way in terms of results.

That being said, I am worried that by dropping down to three, although the grades themselves may get better, it could affect my chances of getting in, because I know Cambridge wants to see you are capable of working hard, ultimately making the choice of dropping one (Which would be computer science if I did so) worse than carrying on with four. Although I do enjoy Computer Science and I am good at it, I just cannot get the exam technique, and nearly all of my wrong marks are simply because of exam technique, and it is the only one I cannot confidently say that, given enough time and effort, I could realistically get an A/A* in for certain in the time that is left; it is possible, but nevertheless if it is not worth this risk, then I should drop it.

My apologies for the prior confusion, I hope I have made it more clear! :smile:

No problem!

For a Cambridge Maths application, 3 subjects (typically Maths, FM and one more - usually, but not exclusively, Physics) + STEP preparation would be quite normal / sufficient evidence of workload. Having said that, make sure you're not too fixated on Cambridge. STEP takes a lot of preparation in itself, and I've seen people drop A level grades (and miss their offers) precisely because they devoted too much time to STEP! So if you do have any concerns about your ability to manage the workload in Year 13 make sure you have a Plan B and some fallback / contingency options beyond Cambridge :smile:
Reply 4

55% of Engineering applicants had 4 A-Levels. :frown: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2973443#

It would be wise to drop A-Level Computer Science now, rather than when being made an offer and God forbid which includes the condition of an A* or A grade in A-Level Computer Science?! :s-smilie:

Maths, Further Maths and Physics would need to be achieved at a minimum of A*A*A and ideally to have a strong chance of being made an offer A*A*A*.

You would also have to take the TMUA, and this will be a factor in being made an offer too.

So please drop Computer Science. :smile:

Which College at Cambridge University do you want to apply to for Computer Science? :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by thegeek888
55% of Engineering applicants had 4 A-Levels. :frown: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2973443#

It would be wise to drop A-Level Computer Science now, rather than when being made an offer and God forbid which includes the condition of an A* or A grade in A-Level Computer Science?! :s-smilie:

Maths, Further Maths and Physics would need to be achieved at a minimum of A*A*A and ideally to have a strong chance of being made an offer A*A*A*.

You would also have to take the TMUA, and this will be a factor in being made an offer too.

So please drop Computer Science. :smile:

Which College at Cambridge University do you want to apply to for Computer Science? :wink:

Why are you posting stats about Engineering and asking about Computer Science applications when the OP has already stated they want to apply for Maths?
Original post by anonymous
hello, i am wanting to apply for cambridge, i am currently doing 4 a levels, including further maths, i have seen that other posts kind of view fm as almost 'supplementary' to maths so to speak, meaning it tends to be tacked on in a sense. I have been bouncing between if i should drop down to 3 a levels, because i am on a's and a*'s, but i am predicted a little below the entry requirements (a*aaa), but i can see from all the mocks and past papers i have done, that computing is the weakest link out of all of them, mainly because i generally lack in exam technique rather than simply not knowing, which is a more difficult thing to fix as it just requires one to do as much work on them as possible, and currently the spec i do has 2 past papers, and my computer science teacher quit at the start of the year, so we spent like a month straight without a teacher and then the teacher we had could be there in every lesson. That being said, although i reckon if i could just focus my absolute all on my a levels, i could most certainly get them very high, the issue not only do i need to sit the step exam, i cannot afford to go to university at all if i do not start working more hours, and a levels are harder than as, so i know my grades could potentially be at risk of degrading by a wide margin for cs. That being said, i have been thinking about dropping down to three for a while now, because all i want is to go to cambridge, but i am concerned that dropping to three might make my application less competitive and thus reduce my chances of getting in, and although i have been told they do not necessarily consider 4 a levels over 3, this brings me to my initial point that i have seen fm and maths treated almost like one a level kind of split in two if that makes sense. Because of this, i am worried that dropping to three for what i am going for could indeed damage my chances, and i do not know what to do, i was wondering if anybody who had got in for maths/stem subjects, has experience with admissions etc. Knows how it all works, because i do not know what to do, and it has been stressing me out for ages, because i do not want to continue with computer science, as i love the subject but do not like the specification itself so i would much prefer it as a hobby, but i do not want to screw myself over by dropping it. (i am a state school student and i do maths, further maths, computing and physics since i know that context applied to the offer)

did u get in with those predicted grades???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending