The Student Room Group

A level Chemistry Revision

I use to think I was good at chemistry and I'd been doing relatively well in year 12 but year 13 chemistry has me confused. I've noticed the questions have gotten SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult and unpredictable. Now I know this is pretty obvious and is something you're expected to overcome but the jump for maths and physics weren't as bad at all. I've got about 30 days till my exam and while I have been revising, I don't know if I'll be able to achieve an A* or A. Aside from exam papers, what would you recommend I do to work towards getting an A*? Also specifically for exam papers, what should I do once I've completed a paper?

(OCR A is my exam board)
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Noctua
I use to think I was good at chemistry and I'd been doing relatively well in year 12 but year 13 chemistry has me confused. I've noticed the questions have gotten SIGNIFICANTLY more difficult and unpredictable. Now I know this is pretty obvious and is something you're expected to overcome but the jump for maths and physics weren't as bad at all. I've got about 30 days till my exam and while I have been revising, I don't know if I'll be able to achieve an A* or A. Aside from exam papers, what would you recommend I do to work towards getting an A*? Also specifically for exam papers, what should I do once I've completed a paper?

(OCR A is my exam board)

To be honest the best revision method for chemistry is exam papers. Complete a paper, mark it, then go to the questions that you got wrong and use the full paper walkthroughs on youtube to see how the question is answered and where exactly you went wrong in your calculations. If there is something from the content you did not know that caused you to lose the mark, look into that topic, then next to that question in a different pen explain why the answer is what it is based on the content and steps on how to answer that question, in particular calculation questions like titrations. Then, at the back of the paper list down all the topics or content that you were weak in and caused you to lose marks, and go over them again. Repeat this process with other papers but before you do the next one briefly skim your previous paper to see what you should do next time. Honestly, this is what has worked for me, and I get where you are coming from because the questions in the A-level paper are a lot more hefty.

I hope this helps, good luck with your exams :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Noctua

(OCR A is my exam board)

Heya!
Try doing past papers under exam conditions and then use a mark scheme to go through your answers and look at why you are losing marks and how you can improve your answers :h: Practice is the best way to prepare for chem, especially if you can do it by topic. If it helps, Study Mind has free resources you can use!

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest