The Student Room Group

university

Hello, so I go to Uni in Edinburgh and live in student halls, there's 4 of us and we aren't particularly close with eachother, however there is this one girl who is extremely clean, I don't want to say it, but a clean freak.
I was once doing my dishes and stupidly washed out a plate with some grains of rice still on the plate, this obviously didn't go down the sink and got stuck there. I was going to pick it out with gloves and clean it. However I heard my phone ringing and left my dishes to go pick up the call from my sick grandma who was in the hospital, I ended up talking to her a for a couple of hours forgetting about the fact that I left my washing in the sink.

About 20 minutes later, this girl messaged on the groupchat saying
"can whoever's a whole bunch of food in to the sink please not next time?🙃 "
I apologised on the gc and she still made a big deal of it on the gc.
"Can you at least consider that there's other people living here too?"
She knows that I was the only person in currently as the other 2 have been home for the weekend and we all have snapmaps enabled.
Now this was in november and Uni started in September.
This was the first time an incident like this has happened and I believe I'm usually quite a clean person and don't make a mess.
Now one of my other flatmates, I've only ever seen him once as he never leaves his room apart from to collect deliveroos and to go to class. He's never cooked or used the kitchen before.
However after my incident, I've noticed on numerous occasions that he has started dumping his leftover food into the sink. And... This girl assumes that it's me and always decided to message on the groupchat assuming it's me. I'm pretty sure the other flatmate seems to think it's funny to dump his food in to the sink as he knows I'll get the blame.
There is 1 more flatmate, she's extremely nice and was never a part of this.

It's only halfway through the year and it seems as if it's becoming hell.
Any advice would be great.
Reply 1
It’s only hell if you let it get to you, I would bet a lot of money she wouldn’t dare say it to your face. Personally I would just ignore her and get on with my day because you know it’s not you so it’s not your issue
Nobody is ever going to believe the story about you were going to answer the phone to talk to your sick grandma in the hospital. Even if true that is just...absurdly unbelievable. Also it takes 10 seconds to wash out some bits of rice from the drain. This also doesn't require Personal Protective Equipment to do so. It can even be done on the phone.

I think you know, as much as we do, that this wasn't a one off and that it was just a case of "student living" where you get a little lazy with things and leave dishes around a bit longer than you should and are a bit lax about what you chuck in the sink. It happens. However I think given that being the much more likely scenario, the other girl is perfectly in her rights to be upset, especially if another flatmate is doing the same. I don't think it's fair to call her a "clean freak" as a result.

Just get your **** together, start cleaning up after yourself, and it will stop being an issue because eventually the other person will notice. Problem solved!
I mean, she’s messaged you about one incident and told you that it annoyed her.

Now someone else is doing the same thing so you explain that it’s not you this time. It really doesn’t seem like that big of a deal.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello, so I go to Uni in Edinburgh and live in student halls, there's 4 of us and we aren't particularly close with eachother, however there is this one girl who is extremely clean, I don't want to say it, but a clean freak.
I was once doing my dishes and stupidly washed out a plate with some grains of rice still on the plate, this obviously didn't go down the sink and got stuck there. I was going to pick it out with gloves and clean it. However I heard my phone ringing and left my dishes to go pick up the call from my sick grandma who was in the hospital, I ended up talking to her a for a couple of hours forgetting about the fact that I left my washing in the sink.

She knows that I was the only person in currently as the other 2 have been home for the weekend and we all have snapmaps enabled.
This was the first time an incident like this has happened and I believe I'm usually quite a clean person and don't make a mess.
Now one of my other flatmates, I've only ever seen him once as he never leaves his room apart from to collect deliveroos and to go to class. He's never cooked or used the kitchen before.
However after my incident, I've noticed on numerous occasions that he has started dumping his leftover food into the sink. And... This girl assumes that it's me and always decided to message on the groupchat assuming it's me. I'm pretty sure the other flatmate seems to think it's funny to dump his food in to the sink as he knows I'll get the blame.

Anon,

Instead of messaging on the group chat, it might be better to either to talk face to face with the girl or to privately message on Whatsapp..

It might also be an idea to have a sink or kitchen rota, so that everybody is cleaning and trying to keep it clean to avoid lots of gunk.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Hi there

I am sorry to hear about your situation. It is good that you apologised over the incident in September.
If you have been keeping the communal area clean, it is unfair for you to take the blame. I think it is best to explain on the group chat or in person.

I would also echo the advice above on establishing a kitchen rota. It would ensure the communal areas are clean and there can be less conflict within the flat.

All the best
Chloe
University of Kent Student Rep

Hey!

I think it can be really tricky living with flatmates. We all live differently and like things done differently etc.

I would suggest messaging the group chat and trying to arrange a meeting with you all. Perhaps you can all get together and discuss any issues openly, without arguing and come to some sort of resolution. It could be a good idea to have a cleaning rota.

If there’s relentless messaging on the group chat about cleaning etc then I’d mute the chat. That way you won’t be triggered all the time when its nothing to do with you.

Of course it’s always good to be mindful when living with others, by trying to clean up after yourself and doing your bit of the cleaning.

I think it’s also important to be mindful as to why someone might be uncomfortable with mess and compulsively cleans. This could come from anxiety, so even tho it might seem extreme it could also be causing her a lot of stress and anxiety. Which is why I think talking to her would be helpful. Maybe you can get a better understanding of one another. Yes you might still have moments but it might make it easier if you understand each other better when these moments arise.

I hope this helps. Good luck 🙂

Sophie (ARU)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending