The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Hello! I have been offered a place at St Andrews for philosophy but wanted economics

How easy is it to switch courses at St Andrews?
Original post by armstrong2250

What course did you apply for?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Economics but they offered philosophy
Reply 3

You have to stick with the course you are admitted to in first year but can switch at the end of the year easily. In the first year at St Andrews you do three subjects so you can do economics modules alongside philosophy. The only slight doubt is that first preference is given to those admitted for the course. So if they are over subscribed for economics you might not get to do them. Not sure that has ever happened for economics. If I were you I'd ask them that question. They usually make offers like this when they want you on the course but are not sure they'll have space in the quota of offers they can make for the course I think.
You need to ask them directly how likely it is. It could range from straightforward to impossible.
Economics but they offered philosophy

Okay so you've been offered a course change offer.

Have they communicated via UCAS or email with what they have done this? I would phone them in January and ask what you'd need to do to receive a place on the Econ course. It might be that you need stronger grades for them to consider you? But this information comes from them.

My advice would be that if you want to study economics, it's better to do economics at any uni than philosophy at St Andrews.
Reply 7
Original post by 04MR17
Okay so you've been offered a course change offer.

Have they communicated via UCAS or email with what they have done this? I would phone them in January and ask what you'd need to do to receive a place on the Econ course. It might be that you need stronger grades for them to consider you? But this information comes from them.

My advice would be that if you want to study economics, it's better to do economics at any uni than philosophy at St Andrews.

Except in this case they almost certainly can do economics at St Andrews - they'd just have to do philosophy modules too in first year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending